'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Michaux State Forest, PA.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-09-09 8:55 AM
6 replies, 8727 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

gaitin
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2009-08-20 10:01 AM (#109681)
Subject: Michaux State Forest, PA.

Regular

Would appreciate any information that others can provide me on riding and camping here. I know it is primitive camping at the lot on Cold Spring Road. Do they have poles for high lines or room for electric fence corrals? Did you ride mostly on the snowmobile trails or actual trails? I did a search for info but nothing came up and I had thought that this area had been mentioned in earlier posts. Thanks again for any info that can be provided.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rich M.
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2009-08-20 8:01 PM (#109722 - in reply to #109681)
Subject: RE: Michaux State Forest, PA.

Veteran

We live close to Michaux and day trip often. There are several lots available to horse camping. Teaberry being the largest with little grass, mostly gravel. There are a few poles and most high line just inside the forest line at the edges of the lot. There is no water, not even a close stream. Call the DCNR at 717-352-2211 and they will mail you all the info you need. Michaux has everything. From wide easy forest / logging roads to snowmobile trails to narrow steep single track trails to grassy mowed pipelines. The footing can be forest floor to fist sized rock. We go shod on all 4. The area is used by endurance riders to train for the Old Dominion rids in the Shenandoah. Maps are not the greatest as there is no single map with all the trails but I've never been seriously lost, you'll come out somewhere and be able to get your bearings. There are rattlesnakes, have come across them on the trails, makes for great roll back and spin training. Artillery Ridge campground ( Gettysburg Horse Park) is less than a 1/2 hour away and has excellent full service sites and horse facilities. Hope this helps, PM me if you need more. Rich
gaitin
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2009-08-22 8:07 AM (#109814 - in reply to #109681)

Regular

Thanks for the great information. I will call the forestry office on Monday for the information packet. I lived in the Emmitsburg-Fairfield area for 17 years and for some unknown reason, only rode at Michaux twice; we came in from the Mt. Alto side and someone else was leading the ride. Never took the time to learn the trails; always trailered out to other areas. I may have missed some of the best riding in that area. I sure plan to check it out soon. Thanks again, Mary
heritagelanefarm
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2009-08-23 8:01 AM (#109850 - in reply to #109814)

Veteran

We ride Michaux several times a month. You can easily day ride from where you live. There is a day ride lot off the Old Forge Road, as well as the Teaberry lot on up the mountain. Since you are so close, I would also suggest Catoctin National Park. Trail head is at top of the mountain, and you definitely need shoes.

Brenda

Oops.....saw you formerly lived nearby...sorry!

Edited by heritagelanefarm 2009-08-23 8:03 AM
gaitin
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2009-08-26 12:14 PM (#110015 - in reply to #109681)

Regular

Thanks for all the great information. Received my forest information packet in the mail today; office personnel were very helpful on the phone. A camping permit is required; it is free and the office is very accommodating in getting it to you or having you pick it up in person; even after hours. Looking forward to the trip in September.
mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2009-09-08 7:43 PM (#110422 - in reply to #109681)

Elite Veteran

I have ridden Michaux before. great riding. We stopped there leaving Gettsburg on our way over to Hancock Md.

Gaitin I just came back from your area today I was at Fort Valley Ranch this past weekend..

gaitin
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2009-09-09 8:55 AM (#110470 - in reply to #109681)

Regular

We are heading to Michaux this weekend for several days; really looking forward to it. We rode in Fort Valley several weeks ago; just a day trip. Alot of our riding is done on the Great North Mountain which is just a few miles west of where we live; part of the George Washington National Forest. There are miles and miles of great riding in our area in the GWNF along the Virginia-West Virginia border. Another favorite area to ride and camp is Slate Lick, south of Fulk's Run, off Rt. 259. Again, national forest with a very large meadow for camping. You ride around 2 large watershed lakes hidden back in the mountains. Would love to hear about favorite places to ride and camp in Maryland and Pennsylvania; we want to expand our riding area. Thanks again to all who have shared their information.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)