'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Thunderstorms......

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-06-22 7:23 AM
4 replies, 4170 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-06-18 7:32 AM (#106611)
Subject: Thunderstorms......

Elite Veteran

We all know mother nature doesn't always coincide with the weather man/woman. What is the safest thing to do if an isolated storm comes through camp?.......

Your barefoot horses are tied to a highline which is attached to picket posts and surrounded by trees. A storm comes through camp. Would it be safer for you to leave them on the highline or load them into your trailer? Although the trailer is rubber lined inside and on rubber wheels, it is still a big metal box. Also, would the horses be more apt to go bolistic being confined in the trailer with all of the outside noise?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2009-06-18 7:40 AM (#106614 - in reply to #106611)
Subject: RE: Thunderstorms......

Elite Veteran

Typical t-storm.....my horses stay on picket high line. I know some folks put them into the trailer, but there....they get all steamy and hot. Even in snow storms (yes...while camping) my horses were on the high line in their blankies.

The only time I loaded my horses in the trailer was once in Forestville State Park (many years ago) when the ranger came trough camp with tornado warnings, and ordered us to leave the park.

I had my camp broken down in five minutes! Wow...didn't know I could do that. On the way down the park's big hill....a tree fell on my rig, denting the roof of my slide-in camper. My group met at a local truck stop about an hour from the park, and I had part of a tree in my trailer's hay rack. HA! Wish I had taken a photo. HAHA!
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-06-18 7:43 PM (#106639 - in reply to #106611)

Expert

Good Question, First impressions are that they would be safer in the trailer. But if they are touching any metal surface, The lightning could pass through them.  but since the trailer is not directly grounded and typically is lower to the ground than the surrounding trees, The chances of it getting hit are reduced vs standing out in an open pasture. And the lightnig would probably pass around the outside of the trailer vs diverting through the trailer. but aluminum is a good condustor and a horse with him butt pressed up against the aluminum wall, could get hit.

I pack into the mountain alot and we just round the horses up from the meadows and high line them.   Usually in a group of trees.  First of all to shelter them from the driving wind and rain, and second to avoid any lightning.  If lightning hits a tree and takes out a horse. I guess it was just their time to go.  There is only so much you can do.  At some point it's either live with the risk or pack up and go home. And when you are 15 miles into the wilderness, some times that not an option.

jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2009-06-19 12:31 PM (#106681 - in reply to #106611)

Extreme Veteran

My impression is that humans are more concerned about thunderstorms than horses are.  Some pretty nasty storms passed through yesterday--wall clouds with rotation, that later spun out some tornadoes and baseball-sized hail.  The horses only stopped grazing when it got really bad and just stood there with their heads down.  Before it had even let up, they were back to grazing, not concerned one bit.

I never tie to a high line, but I think a horse would be safer inside a trailer.  The trailer will act as a "Faraday cage" (I think that's the correct term) where lightning will conduct around the outside of the trailer and not through the inside of it.  A horse inside is like a bird on a wire.

Edited by jdzaharia 2009-06-19 12:37 PM
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-06-22 7:23 AM (#106788 - in reply to #106611)

Elite Veteran

Thanks for the input. I was not sure as to what would be best for them.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)