'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
how to replace floor in LQ?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-04-19 2:37 PM
6 replies, 11937 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jjmdally
Reg. Dec 2008
Posted 2009-04-15 5:54 PM (#103447)
Subject: how to replace floor in LQ?

New User

I have a living quarters trailer and I had a water leak in the bathroom and the floor started to get soft. I tore out the linoleum to find the particle board that they used as a sub floor was soaking wet. I have tore most of the floor out, any suggestions or tips about replacement?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-04-15 6:33 PM (#103450 - in reply to #103447)
Subject: RE: how to replace floor in LQ?

Veteran

I am new to building these LQ's but I think you would be wise to pull it all out, scrape it down to the aluminum floor and start over. Hopefully you can do all this without having to pull the cabinets but if the floor under them is in real bad shape you'll need to pull them also. Putting in the new floor is not a lot of work, I did mine Saturday with the help of some folk and this site and it went in very easily.
jjmdally
Reg. Dec 2008
Posted 2009-04-15 6:42 PM (#103451 - in reply to #103447)

New User

aqha, I believe that I will not have to remove the cabinets. I just need to find a way to cut the sub floor close to the cabinets and straight. what did you put down in your floor?
AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-04-15 7:17 PM (#103453 - in reply to #103447)

Veteran

You might be able to use a "saws-all" saw to cut close to the cabinet base.... another thing that might work would be to use a chisel. Might be a pain in the butt to get close to the base. I think the saws-all is your best bet.

On the floor I used one inch foam board. I ran sleepers every 12 inches. On top of that I put a half inch treated plywood. there's a good thread on this by Gard. I followed his directions, it turned out solid and tight.

I think you were wise to pull all that out and start fresh. The more of that wet stuff you can get out of there the better. Come hot summer its gonna stink! Before you start on the new floor you might want to let a strong fan run on it for a couple days to make sure you get it all dry.

Edited by AQHA 123 2009-04-15 7:20 PM
RAF
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-04-16 7:26 AM (#103459 - in reply to #103447)

Regular

the way you are going to put in the new floor sounds great but also drill a couple of holes in the metal floor so it can breath and drain if it gets wet again , under the face of the cab. between the runners put a board for the ends of the plywood to sit on . if you need any direction call me and I will try and help .I have put alot of floors in horse trailers . 574-294-1269 Randy
jjmdally
Reg. Dec 2008
Posted 2009-04-16 7:46 AM (#103460 - in reply to #103459)

New User

RAF if I drill holes in the aluminum floor will that allow water from driving down the road to get to the floor? The sub floor had plywood in it before would it be better to use a pressure treated plywood?
Mira
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-04-19 2:37 PM (#103613 - in reply to #103447)

Regular

We just had the same problem only our leak we believe is coming from the fridge vent luckily our bathroom was not involved just the whole kitchen area.We left the cabinets in but took out the sofa and water tank and hot water heater.We invested in one of those Dewalt skill saws that are rechargeable it worked really well and also used a drimel saw.We used a 1/2 birch hardwood sheet.And i'm going to put in wide board oak wood look vinyl.Whole thing is a royal pain in the butt not to mention the pocket book!But first we want to fix the leak problem .Mira
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)