'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Dropping in with an update on Blue Moon . . .

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-05-01 5:32 PM
16 replies, 7407 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

RollinPonies
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2009-04-09 9:36 PM (#103085)
Subject: Dropping in with an update on Blue Moon . . .

Veteran

Greetings all.  I've been on the road and the wireless hasn't been working too well.  Now that I am sitting still for a short while I thought I would check in with the horsetrailer crowd.  I was afraid that with all the change we've been experiencing since November that things might have changed here.  After reviewing the posts it appears safe to say that isn't the case.

The good news is that Blue Moon is on the list to receive some TARP money (Trailer Asset Relief Program) in the form of a large bailout check.  If they do they will get to work on a new line of trailers.  No more custom jobs with the TARP trailers, though: Everyone will get the same model . . . but what a model it will be!  Oh, and don't worry about it being expensive.  If Blue Moon takes the deal they will supply the new trailers to everyone, each according to their ability.  Should know in a couple of weeks if they take the money or not.

Enough on that.  You know how much I like my Blue Moon trailer.  Even so, I borrowed a "conventional" trailer from my father-in-law last month.  I am regretting it now . . . the whole situation has put our relationship at risk. You see, I had the trailer for four days, drove it only 223 miles and it is now worthless.  The rear curtains blew off when I was passed by a semi on I-40, ten miles east of Clines Corners, NM.  I didn't know they were gone till we pulled in to the Amarillo Fair Grounds for the Arabian Roping and Plowing Tournament.  Made me sick to see it.  After unloading we drove down to the truck wash for a little clean up.  After the acid wash there was nothing left but a little wad of aluminum foil and four rubber tires on rusted rims. BE CAREFUL WITH THE ACID WASH!  The father-in-law just doesn't seem to understand and the dealer AND manufacturer claim it isn't their fault!!!

Got to git going now.  Have to get the rear window replaced in the truck before we get on the road again (Yes, you guessed it . . . its a short bed)  Talk at you again in a few weeks.

Roll on 

PS  If your are looking for someone to do maintenance and repair work on your trailer, I found a good guy at North Texas Sundowner in Justin TX.  No, they don't sell Blue Moons but that guy does bearings and brakes at a very fair price. If you aren't lucky enough to have a Blue Moon with genuine Synthetic Xtended-PermaLube bearings made from unobtainium then you'll need your bearings lubed pretty regularly.

Edited by RollinPonies 2009-04-09 10:23 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-04-10 6:10 PM (#103148 - in reply to #103085)
Subject: RE: Dropping in with an update on Blue Moon . . .

Elite Veteran

I've been hearin' good things about that there unobtainium..... wish it warn't so dang hard to git.

(yuk yuk!)

terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2009-04-10 7:37 PM (#103152 - in reply to #103085)

Elite Veteran

Welcome back-hope you can stay and visit awhile. Have certainly missed your posts. Gee, just when you think the Blue Moon can't get any better. Shame about your father-in-law's trailer though. That tin foil and rubber band stuff sure doesn't hold up well.
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2009-04-11 8:22 AM (#103187 - in reply to #103085)

Well, after hearing about the Blue Moon engineers ability to think "outside of the box", I may have to wait on the purchase of my ideal "dream" LQ trailer. I am assumming  with their progressive approach, that may be they are possibly from the "left" coast? Have they any brillant and clever ideas for the LQ interior that have not already been done? I look for them at all the major horse and trade shows I go to, but the HUGE crowds around their inovative products keep me out. As, I am clastraphobic. Do you happen to know if  Blue Moon will be offering a clastraphobic model in the future?

I am extrmemly interested in the larger LQ trailer that has the detachable horse compartment trailer for trailering  the horses to the trailheads without having to break camp with the LQ portion. I thought that  was just brillant!

Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2009-04-13 12:05 PM (#103279 - in reply to #103085)

Elite Veteran

Put me down for one of those TARP LQ's!  I can only afford to pay $5.00 for it though and can't wait to git me a real honest to goodness Blue Mooner!!! Keep us posted. 
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-04-13 12:21 PM (#103283 - in reply to #103085)

Elite Veteran

I was at my local watering hole last weekend and Blue Moon was advertising there. They had a big ol" Blue Moon neon light. Gave a nice glow to the establishment!
RollinPonies
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2009-04-24 2:11 PM (#103900 - in reply to #103279)

Veteran

Dunoir,

Just got back from a visit to your "neck of the woods."  Drove down to Ft Lauderdale for a little cruise to Key West and Cozumel.  Of course we took the horses as far as the airport parking lot at Lauderdale.  We stocked it with groceries for the ponies and they seemed to do just fine in the Blue Moon.  We were gone for about a week.  Except for the beer running low in the fridge they were happy as clams in the Blue Moon. The conveyor on the floor seemed to keep the trailer clean and the alfalfa flakes kept dropping down from the giant Pez dispenser on the roof.  Those Blue Moon guys and gals think of everything.

We missed the horses but sure had a good time on the boat.  Especially enjoyed the fine dining on the boat and in Key West and Cozumel.  Didn't run into many horse folks in either place but we are expecting that to change by this time next year.  By then the the stimulus money will hit Key West . . . they look a little over stimulated already, if you ask me.  Once the stimulus kicks in tourists will be doing trail rides to the Dry Tortugas on the bridges built with the stimulus money.  As the trail head for the DT Trail, Key West will become a big commercial center for tack and trail supplies.  Just imagine the possibilities . . . and the colors!!!

Gots to get moving now.  Need to go get the Blue Moon put away and get the yard mowed before the weekend kicks in.

Roll on! 

Edited by RollinPonies 2009-04-24 2:33 PM
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2009-04-24 4:25 PM (#103911 - in reply to #103085)

Rollin Ponies.....did you happen to ask if Senor Frogs in Cozemel was interested in becoming the Blue Moon dealer for the Mexican Riveria? They are way behind in their boonie pony transporters for sure.

LOL.....we were there last month and witnessed 10 scooter wrecks in 10 minutes! Hope you had as much fun as we did!

RollinPonies
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2009-04-26 12:02 PM (#103964 - in reply to #103911)

Veteran

Brushy,

Absolutely amazing that any of us can go out and buy a big truck and horse trailer and drive it on public streets and highways with no additional testing than what we had to drive a car . . . Then again, it is absolutely amazing that they let all the drunken touristas drive scooters in Cozumel.

Craziness is universal

Roll on

Spin Doctor
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-04-26 12:37 PM (#103966 - in reply to #103085)

Extreme Veteran

As far as the detachable living quarters, I have been kicking that idea around the last few years. I would  be in the market. Anyone have a # to order one? I would customize it by putting the horse compartment in the front like a reverse slant load, tack area in pie angles, nose would used for hay pod-one axle would be at the last horse (spread axle configuration like on a semi trailer) and that is where it would come apart..from there, living quarters. I would order the attachable hitch option for the rear of the LQ, having its own axle, I would have a camper.

Be damned, thinking in the box!

Problem is, you might meet yourself coming and going? Wouldn't the DOT like this??

brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2009-04-26 12:43 PM (#103967 - in reply to #103085)

RP.....I told my husband I really needed more of those macrame hammocks and all assorted colors! He poo poed that by saying he was only willing to lug 2 of them back.

rp wrote : As the trail head for the DT Trail, Key West will become a big commercial center for tack and trail supplies.  Just imagine the possibilities . . . and the colors!!!

terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2009-04-26 4:47 PM (#103974 - in reply to #103085)

Elite Veteran

RP-why didn't you just get the flotation option for your Blue Moon? You wouldn't have had to leave the horses behind and could have taken some awesome rides on the beaches.
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2009-04-27 7:24 AM (#104008 - in reply to #103085)

Elite Veteran

RM

Sorry for the delay I responding I was camping over the weekend.  Believe it or not I have friends that have horses in the Keys, just not Key West....  the locals might mistake them for overgrown sheep....

Did you go to the peer at sunset?  The locals put on quite a show and you might have enjoyed participating.

I'm sure you're horses were just dandy in the parking lot as long as the beer held out.  I've seen crazier things down there. But gee they might have really enjoyed the cruise, peering out over the edge, playing volleyball, sunning on the deck.  You could have paid for the trip letting the tourists pose with the horses. 

hmm just might have to take my horse on a sea cruise! 

RollinPonies
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2009-04-28 4:37 PM (#104129 - in reply to #103085)
Subject: Got a "demo" unit from Blue Moon to try this week . .

Veteran

Just got a demo unit from Blue Moon to try out this week.  Much bigger on the inside than it looks from the outside.  Forget about that wall paper question and take a look at all this interior!  As you can see, the living quarters are quite nice with lots of spacious room for camping and getting close to nature.  The stall area is very secure.  I'll let you know how it goes this week with this beauty in tow.

Roll On 

Edited by RollinPonies 2009-04-28 6:35 PM
BigT
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-04-28 7:33 PM (#104141 - in reply to #103085)

Extreme Veteran

Isn't it amazing how the use of mirrors increases the size of a room.

I seen that demo unit at an Equine Affair. I remember the two level stall area, buy I can't remember if the servants bedroom was on the first level or the second level.....I remember the servants quarters were in the basement.

As other trailer manufactures are still using slide outs, Blue Moon is the first and only trailer manufacturer to use the telescoping second floor. In the tow mode it is the maximum 13' 6" high. When parked and the telescoping second floor is extended to 26'. And did I mention that there are 4' sides that pop up from the roof to make a roof top patio

Barfly
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-04-30 6:34 AM (#104204 - in reply to #103085)

Veteran

Dont know if any of you have heard of their latest trick...its a self propelling 4x4 and it is 100% enviromentally friendly.

How it works is there are suction pipes at the tail end of the horse stalls that collect the horse poop and digest it - converting it into methane gas and water. the water is fed back into your drinking water tank (no need to ever fill that) and the gas is used to power a generator that powers electric motors on the wheels. You can controll the amount of power needed via a wireless connection to your accelerator. They claim a 95% reduction on your fuel bill and listen to this, when you are going down hill it actually stores the energy in a KERS device (just like F1) so that you have extra power on tap on the uphills.

And best of all the back of your trailer never needs mucking....

For obvious reasons this option is not available on the aquatic units.....

RollinPonies
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2009-05-01 5:32 PM (#104291 - in reply to #104129)
Subject: RE: Got a "demo" unit from Blue Moon to try this week . .

Veteran

Wow! I am feeling whipped.  With the Blue Moon demo trailer, we took a little trip down to the Copper Canyon of Mexico to visit the hot springs at Guadalacaca and trail ride at Ixatacapacapotl.  Great food there (try the pulled pork) and the hot springs are very relaxing, but sometimes a little crowded. As soon as I get this trailer cleaned up and returned to the dealer I'll write a review of our experiences with the Blue Moon.

My throat is a little scratchy and I'm feeling a little tired . . . may not get to it until Sunday.

Roll On

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)