'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
adding a gooseneck hitch

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-03-13 10:42 AM
4 replies, 4557 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2009-03-13 6:28 AM (#101258)
Subject: adding a gooseneck hitch

Veteran

I am considering installing a gooseneck hitch in my 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500, (5.3 liter engine, 4WD auto). It has a 6-foot bed.

I currently haul a 2-horse BP, but would like a 3-horse and thought perhaps since this is only a 1/2 ton p/u, it may be easier on the truck to pull a gooseneck,rather than hauling a BP.

I have lots of questions. Sometimes the dealers don't even know what they're talking about. So I'd appreciate your input.

About how much should the dealer charge me to put in a gooseneck hitch?

I'd like the kind that fold down under the bed. Is this more expensive?

Will this conversion take away from the life of my truck bed?

I have a plastic bed liner.

Will this have to be removed?

Is it true that the gooseneck trailer will be easier to tow than a BP?

I suspected it would be wiser to wait until it's time to trade my truck in and go up to a 3/4 ton. But this may not happen for some time. Will this be too much for my 1/2 ton to haul? I don't usually go more than 150 miles one way, more often it's short trips under 20 miles.

Thanks for any information and opinions.

Edited by barstow 2009-03-13 6:32 AM

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2009-03-13 7:03 AM (#101261 - in reply to #101258)
Subject: RE: adding a gooseneck hitch

Expert

The truck does not care about a 2h BP vs 3h GN.

Local dealers get around $500 installed for the B&W turnover hitch. 

Yes the "under the bed" hitches cost more, but they are worth it.

Wont hurt your bed.

Plastic liners are crap to start with, I would take it out and get Rhino/LineX or a rubber mat even without a GN hitch.  But yes you can have a GN installed with a plastic bed liner.

A GN is no easier to haul than a BP, they are what they are.  The advantages of a GN vs BP do begin to show up the longer a trailer is.  I personally will not screw with a 3h BP or a 2h GN.

Trailswest lists their 3h GN at 5000# empty with a pin weight of 810#.  A lightly loaded 3h would probably be fine for a 1/2 ton, if heavily loaded it could exceed the rear axle capacity.  Do you know your towing capacity?

jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2009-03-13 7:45 AM (#101264 - in reply to #101258)

Extreme Veteran

I haul a 2H slant GN - Silver Star - which weighs about 3400# unloaded.  I have an 03 GMS Sierra 1500, 5.3L, 4WD, 6 1/2ft bed - tow package.  I believe the truck is rated to tow a 7900# gooseneck load.  The newer trucks may be rated higher, but you should be able to obtain those specs from the dealer or the GMC web site.

Loaded with 2 horses and tack, the truck pulls the load ok, but it does "strain" when hitting some of the "hills" here in the NE part of the country.  If your plan is to move up to a bigger truck sometime in the future, then go for the 3H, but don't load it up too much until you get that bigger truck.  My experience with braking on the 1500 has been that the truck brakes are not as substantial as on the 2500.  They tend to wear out quicker.  Brakes are as important as towing power.

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2009-03-13 10:28 AM (#101278 - in reply to #101264)

Expert

Originally written by jakey1 on 2009-03-13 7:45 AM

I haul a 2H slant GN - Silver Star - which weighs about 3400# unloaded.  I have an 03 GMS Sierra 1500, 5.3L, 4WD, 6 1/2ft bed - tow package.  I believe the truck is rated to tow a 7900# gooseneck load.  The newer trucks may be rated higher, but you should be able to obtain those specs from the dealer or the GMC web site.

Loaded with 2 horses and tack, the truck pulls the load ok, but it does "strain" when hitting some of the "hills" here in the NE part of the country.  If your plan is to move up to a bigger truck sometime in the future, then go for the 3H, but don't load it up too much until you get that bigger truck.  My experience with braking on the 1500 has been that the truck brakes are not as substantial as on the 2500.  They tend to wear out quicker.  Brakes are as important as towing power.

What kind of brake controller are you using?  Towing a trailer should have no effect on the trucks brake life, in a recreational towing application anyway.

I would say brakes are more important than power.  But keep in mind service life is in no way related to stopping power or safety.

barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2009-03-13 10:42 AM (#101280 - in reply to #101258)

Veteran

Ok, so the consensus is that it makes no difference as far as wear and tear on my truck if I am pulling a BP or a GN? I have heard this many times, why are people around these parts under the impression that it's easier on my truck to pull a GN?As far as a 3h is concerned the advantage of the GN is that the overall length will be shorter than a BP - that's it?I believe my towing capacity is in the vicinity of 7500# gross with the bumper pull. My current trailer's empty weight is 3500#, with two average horses and gear, I am estimating the gross weight would be 6000# - I could add another 1000# horse and get away with towing with my current truck, just barely.And just to confirm I am understanding responses correctly - it will not be any less of a strain on my truck if I converted to GN.... if so, then I think I would skip the expense of converting and just buy a 3h BP. (sorry, I need things spelled out for me,.....type slowly!)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)