'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Cosmetic Wall covering advice needed

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-03-03 2:51 PM
10 replies, 5848 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

shypaint
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-02-26 12:11 AM (#100182)
Subject: Cosmetic Wall covering advice needed

New User

Hi all~ I need some advice on updating/repairing the wallpaper and ceiling in my 1999 Sundowner LQ (6.5 shortwall) that I just purchased. The wall board is in great condition but covered in the original, shiney, sticky paper which looks horrible. Some spots have peeled off or ripped and I would like to re-do the covering. I'm having a difficult time finding any directions on how to do this or what to use.  Has anyone used fuax leather vinyl on walls or ceilings? What are the options? What type of adhesive is needed?  Thanks for any help!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Linda Y
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2009-02-26 5:29 PM (#100236 - in reply to #100182)
Subject: RE: Cosmetic Wall covering advice needed

Extreme Veteran

In my trailer, I used the engraved suede looking fabric, and a different color ultra suede in the nose. I attached it to all the walls with contact spray adhesive. I put it on luan plywood because my trailer had the probably same plastic wallpaper you have, and nothing would stick to it. So, I put the luan over it.

Edited by Linda Y 2009-02-26 5:40 PM
Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2009-02-26 5:39 PM (#100238 - in reply to #100182)

Extreme Veteran

I have had success using the heavy, textured wall paper that is paintable.  It comes in an endless variety of textures and patterns and can be painted in any way you choose.  It is heavy enough, almost like lightweight cardboard, that it covers small imperfections in the surface you are applying it over.  Just peal off any loose stuff, run a medium grit sandpaper over the rest to provide a surface for the adhesive to stick to.  Then apply the new covering according to directions.

Marla

Rose66
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2009-02-26 7:39 PM (#100250 - in reply to #100236)

Veteran

Linda Y:
Did you use luan board for the curved walls of your gooseneck nose? Just wondering if luan board bends like that.

Also, what is your ceiling covered with? Or if it is painted, what type of wood is it?

Thanks!
shypaint
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-02-26 7:48 PM (#100251 - in reply to #100182)

New User

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I have searched the web for what to do with the wallpaper and was unable to find anything helpful. I wasnt sure if there was a "trick" or certain way it must be done. Did'nt know if the glue would hold in extreme heat. I will try to sand the shiney paper to rough it up before applying the new covering. Did you all use trim pieces from Lowe's? Did you use a staple or brad gun?
shypaint
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-02-26 7:51 PM (#100252 - in reply to #100182)

New User

Sorry, forgot to answer the question! The ceiling is a white,plastic material...not painted, just dated looking.

Thanks!

Linda Y
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2009-02-27 6:06 PM (#100320 - in reply to #100182)

Extreme Veteran

Rose66...yes, I did cover the curved wall with the luan too. It bent quite nicely although I had to use some persuasion at certain points! 2
The ceiling is original to the trailer...it is the same plastic wallpaper. I eventually may replace it too. That stuff shrinks after a while!
I used Lowes and Home Depot trim.
Lillian
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-02-28 7:04 AM (#100339 - in reply to #100182)

New User

Good Morning Everyone,

I saw your question about Wallcovering and think I can help since that is what I do for a living. I've been at the walls for 27 years now. www.LilliansInteriors.com.

There is a primer  " R 35 " that is a bonding primer for wallcovering.  We can prime with this and paper over glass surfaces. There is also a product called  Draw Tite by http://www.scotchpaint.com. Both of these products are great for many hard to deal with surfaces.  There is a wonderful product out now called www.Weathered-Stone.com

This is a product that looks like stone, and you actually grout the seams. It is a plaster type medium impregnated over canvas and goes over many types of uneven surfaces.  It has a glaze over it, comes in many different colors.

The hand crafted Torn papers, fabrics, vinyl, suades, leather, flexiwall plaster, So many solutions for your needs. We paper a lot of trailers, boats, cruise ships. If it does not more we will paper it.  LOl 

Then you can go to www.NGPP.ORG and find a paperhanger from all over the country by typing in your Zip Code.

If I can help you in any way , Please feel free to contact me.

615 354-3000 or Decor8withpaper@aol.com

My best to you,

Lillian

Linda Y
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2009-03-02 6:15 PM (#100487 - in reply to #100182)

Extreme Veteran

Lillian, I thank you for this answer. I may be able to use it next time I redo the trailer...or maybe even some other place. I am a redecorating junkie.
shypaint
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-03-02 10:59 PM (#100512 - in reply to #100182)

New User

Hi ~ Just wanted to say that after hearing how nothing would stick to the shiny wallpaper, I removed mine and exposed the rough wood that was underneath. The sticky wallpaper was very difficult to remove but came off much easier with a hot hair dryer. Now I have a nice surface to adhere my new wall covering to (will probably go with the tooled leather-look vinyl). I also had to take numerous trim pieces off and hope I can replace them easy enough and figure out the angle cuts. I'm thinking about sponge painting the ceiling in a patina look. Has anyone done this? Also, does anyone have any ideas for new counter tops? Do you have to cut the correct size of the counter yourself (and the hole for the sink) or are there places that do this? Thanks for any help!!! I'm a rookie at this. I'm a little nervous about ripping my trailer apart :)

Linda Y
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2009-03-03 2:51 PM (#100561 - in reply to #100182)

Extreme Veteran

I was really nervous the first time I ripped into my trailer. Seemed a sacriledge somehow. But now it is easy as pie! I have recone the inside to one degree or another 3 times now. My next project would be a new countertop with a copper sink, if I were actually using the trailer anymore. Unfortunately, it is just sitting in the yard killing grass.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)