'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
blisters/open areas on neck

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-12-02 6:04 PM
2 replies, 3350 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-12-02 10:13 AM (#95599)
Subject: blisters/open areas on neck

Expert

My cousin called me and said that her 2 yr old TWH has developed an outbreak of some kind on his neck.It isn't strangles,she said,but it is clear blisters that have come up and erupted,running in a line down his neck and is very sensitive.I have not seen them for myself.Could this be an allergy of some type? he is kept in another pasture with one other horse,and they aren't in contact with strange horses.I suggested a hay allergy or maybe something in the pasture.Has anyone ever seen or heard of this?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
NM-Rider
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-12-02 11:06 AM (#95605 - in reply to #95599)
Subject: RE: blisters/open areas on neck

Regular

Take a look at pigeon fever.  A neighbor's horse had it a few years ago.  We never heard about it until this horse.  http://www.completerider.com/ucolorado/PIGEONFEVERINEQUINES.html has good info on it.
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-12-02 6:04 PM (#95630 - in reply to #95605)
Subject: RE: blisters/open areas on neck

Elite Veteran

sounds very similar to shingles in humans.. The line of blisters is probably following a nerve tract; causing the pain.  Possibly/probably viral in origin.  Check with vet to see what supportive care, if any, your horse will need.. I'd keep the areas open to air to let them dry. Is he running any fever or showing any other signs of ditress? snotty nose? cough?  Off his feed any?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)