'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Training a horse to load

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-11-20 11:41 AM
21 replies, 6232 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Towfoo
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-11-17 11:24 AM (#94999)
Subject: Training a horse to load

Veteran

I have a friend whose horse is reluctant to load up. Sometimes very reluctant. We all went on a trail ride recently and the horse didn't want to get in either of the trailers after the ride. The only way she could get him to load was to lunge him until he was worn down, then he got in. Took about an hour and wore out two people. Yesterday she tried to practice loading with him and he wouldn't get in at all. He gets his front feet in but won't go the rest of the way. He seems fairly obediant otherwise, but I admit I'm not around him enough to know for sure. Maybe a general respect problem?

How can she train her horse to load up without a big fuss?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Buffy111_99
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2008-11-17 3:22 PM (#95006 - in reply to #94999)
Subject: RE: Training a horse to load

Regular

this horse needs to be taught to lead properly.  If the horse will lead, he will load.  She needs to work on leading and then loading.  The loading training depends on if she has access to a trailer all the time and if it is a step up or ramp. 

hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-11-17 3:55 PM (#95007 - in reply to #94999)

Expert

She is on the right track, we always load train 1 foot at a time, let them stand claim with that foot in the trailer then back them out then ask for 2 feet the next time and back them out and so on.  This also works great with horse that want to turn around instead of backing out of the trailer.  And most important part to remember is to stay claim and always end the lesson on a good note, do not stop if the horse is taking advantage of you or acting up.

If you stop while they are high strung, you will have more problems the next time you start again.

Towfoo
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-11-17 8:16 PM (#95026 - in reply to #94999)

Veteran

The horse will lead, and I believe he does load sometimes, but just not dependably and at times only after a lot of fuss. I'm letting her use our step up trailer to practice with but I think the owner needs more training methods. It seems to me that the horse has learned he can get is way if he keeps being stubborn.
Buffy111_99
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2008-11-17 11:07 PM (#95031 - in reply to #95026)

Regular

Originally written by Towfoo on 2008-11-17 9:16 PM

The horse will lead, and I believe he does load sometimes, but just not dependably and at times only after a lot of fuss. I'm letting her use our step up trailer to practice with but I think the owner needs more training methods. It seems to me that the horse has learned he can get is way if he keeps being stubborn.

If the horse will not lead onto a trailer, the horse does not lead properly.  Park the step up trailer so he has the least "step" possible.  (back it to a bit of a hill)  Open all windows and doors to make it as bright as possible.  If possible, park the trailer in the gateway of a paddock where you can have just this horse by itself.  Put the hay and grain in the trailer so the horse has to get on in order to eat.  Let him figure it out and he will go on and off the trailer to eat. 

hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-11-17 11:27 PM (#95032 - in reply to #95031)

Expert

Put the hay and grain in the trailer so the horse has to get on in order to eat. Let him figure it out and he will go on and off the trailer to eat.

THIS IS WHAT YOU DON NOT WANT TO DO! If you have to do it this way and you end up having to load and go fo some reason, then you find yourself trying to find feed or hay to load your horse with. Only the people who don't actually know what they are doing or the people that are just too lazy to take the time and do it right use this method to load horses. The correct way WITHOUT hay and feed can be done (if done right) with in a couple of lessons! Too bad ya'll are not around here, we could come show the owner a few things to try and show them the horse can and will actually load and unload without a fight and without FEED!
Copper1272
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-11-18 9:14 AM (#95050 - in reply to #95032)

Regular

Originally written by hogtownboss on 2008-11-17 11:27 PM Put the hay and grain in the trailer so the horse has to get on in order to eat. Let him figure it out and he will go on and off the trailer to eat. 4 THIS IS WHAT YOU DON NOT WANT TO DO! If you have to do it this way and you end up having to load and go fo some reason, then you find yourself trying to find feed or hay to load your horse with. Only the people who don't actually know what they are doing or the people that are just too lazy to take the time and do it right use this method to load horses. The correct way WITHOUT hay and feed can be done (if done right) with in a couple of lessons! Too bad ya'll are not around here, we could come show the owner a few things to try and show them the horse can and will actually load and unload without a fight and without FEED!

Wow that was kinda rude

I have taught my young horses to load by feeding them in the trailer for a couple of days and never have to put feed in the trailer now to load them. I also do it when I don't have to be somewhere. They are comfortable getting in and out. I don't think it is so much the feeding in the trailer as it is getting them Comfortable about being in the trailer.

This has also worked on horses that are older that I have purchase'd that have had loading issues. I also don't drag the whole thing out once I expect them to load after they are comfortable with being in the trailer and I know they aren't scared.

The most important thing is to load them with feed or no feed 3-4 days back to back, not load them 1 day and then come back 1 week later and expect them to load( especially) with a problem older horse. A nerve line can work wonders as well on an older horse that you know is not scared of the trailer and just being stubborn.

I had a 3 year old that didn't like to unload and feeding her in the trailer got her through this also without putting a bunch of stress and attitude on me or her. She unloads like a dream now.

Edited by Copper1272 2008-11-18 9:23 AM
Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-11-18 10:10 AM (#95057 - in reply to #94999)

Out of curiosity, is this a horse that use to load okay, and this is a problem that has developed recently? Could be an issue with something that is bothering the horse while they are in the trailer, and it has scared them.

As far as feeding the horses on a trailer...I have used it twice to work with older horses that had never been hauled. One was a 18 year old stallion that had only been in a trailer twice in his life. The second was a 7 year old mare that had only been hauled twice. Both horses were very respectful, lead well, and were good mannered. The problem was lack of exposure and they were scared being out of their element. Used it on both...grain and hay in the trailer for three days straight. Fourth day moved the trailer and loaded up. Absolutely no issues. If used right, it can be a very useful tool.

hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-11-18 10:17 AM (#95059 - in reply to #95050)

Expert

Did not mean to sound or be so rude!  Just can't stand the though of people not knowing how to do something with horses the right way, instead they take the easy way out.

Just like not taking the time to teach a horse to back out, to me that is just retarted, lazy and away to get you or your horse hurt.  But I like my horses so I will do it the correct way and stand back and LOL at the one that are having to feed there horse to load them or let the spin around like a top to unload!

BOO BYE!

Edited by hogtownboss 2008-11-18 10:22 AM
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-11-18 10:20 AM (#95061 - in reply to #95057)

Expert

That was my thinking also, maybe had a bad trip or trailer had a blow out and spooked the horse, who know's anything could have happened and with horse anything can happen.
Towfoo
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-11-18 10:33 AM (#95063 - in reply to #95057)

Veteran

I have not been around the horse much, but the owner said he has given her trouble before, although the day we hauled him was the worst he's acted up, she said. It's entirely possible he's had a bad experience with a trailer...bee or wasp or something scared him, but no way to really know. From what I know, I get the impression he just hasn't been trailered much and needs more loading experience/training. She tried luring him in with grain in the trailer the day we hauled him and it didn't work. He'd lean in till his legs were quivering from almost falling on his face but wouldn't get in.

I will tell her to work with him several days in a row and put the trailer on a slope so he doens't have to step up so much. She's using a chain lead shank already.
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-11-18 10:34 AM (#95064 - in reply to #94999)

Expert

Last remark on this thread,

Anything worth doing is worth doing RIGHT!

Copper1272
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-11-18 10:53 AM (#95069 - in reply to #95063)

Regular

Originally written by Towfoo on 2008-11-18 10:33 AM

I have not been around the horse much, but the owner said he has given her trouble before, although the day we hauled him was the worst he's acted up, she said. It's entirely possible he's had a bad experience with a trailer...bee or wasp or something scared him, but no way to really know. From what I know, I get the impression he just hasn't been trailered much and needs more loading experience/training. She tried luring him in with grain in the trailer the day we hauled him and it didn't work. He'd lean in till his legs were quivering from almost falling on his face but wouldn't get in. I will tell her to work with him several days in a row and put the trailer on a slope so he doens't have to step up so much. She's using a chain lead shank already.

Good luck to your friend and her horse, loading problems can be frustrating. I have a gelding that wouldn't load in my slant, he was used to loading into an open stock. We fed him in the front of my slant load for a week, made it real non chalant and he loads like a pro now with no issues, we throw the rope over his back and he self loads. We didn't make a big deal out of the trailer and now neither does he.

My filly that wouldn't get out of the trailer after loading right up is cutting bred and she has a real hard time backing out of the trailer cause she is only 14 hds after being trimmed and my trailer is pretty high, so I trained her to come out leading but she puts one foot on the ground at a time and waits for me to ask her to come all of the way out it'd kinda funny cause her butt will still be loaded.

HTB

Wasn't trying to snarpy (is that a word) just sometimes on these BB's typing does not always come across the way it was meant. Some peoples right ways are not neccesarily wrong ways

Edited by Copper1272 2008-11-18 10:55 AM
Buffy111_99
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2008-11-18 1:07 PM (#95075 - in reply to #95032)

Regular

Originally written by hogtownboss on 2008-11-17 12:27 AM

Put the hay and grain in the trailer so the horse has to get on in order to eat. Let him figure it out and he will go on and off the trailer to eat. 4 THIS IS WHAT YOU DON NOT WANT TO DO! If you have to do it this way and you end up having to load and go fo some reason, then you find yourself trying to find feed or hay to load your horse with. Only the people who don't actually know what they are doing or the people that are just too lazy to take the time and do it right use this method to load horses. The correct way WITHOUT hay and feed can be done (if done right) with in a couple of lessons! Too bad ya'll are not around here, we could come show the owner a few things to try and show them the horse can and will actually load and unload without a fight and without FEED!

Oh for God's sake!  Geez, who peed in your corn flakes this morning!

This is just a "starter" to get the horse used to going on and off the trailer!  Once they are used to doing it, you should load them and take them for a short drive and then lengthen it and so on!    Once you get the horse loading for food by himself, he won't hesitate at going on with you!  Umm, and I DO know what I am doing ........ we haul for a living!

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-11-18 1:16 PM (#95076 - in reply to #94999)

Expert

I doubt a horse would have such a bad experince in a tailer from a bug they encounter everday of their lives. It might happen but i suspect your looking for some excuse. I dont' buy it.

Sounds like a simply training issue. On the ground, prepare the horse by asking him to step over something like a pole. If he doesn't go over, tap tap tap with a whip until he does. he will learn that the tapping while not painful, isn't comfortable plus its a cue to move forward. then ask over a tarp then step up and over something larger. Again, if he moves or steps up, do nothing but if he doesn't, tap tap tap until he does not allowing him to back up, turn around...he must move forward or go over to stop the tapping.

After he does well on the ground, move over the trailer and do the samething- ask to go in..tap tap tap until he does then stop the tapping. he will elarn that there is no other option but to go it. Then rest, relax maybe a treat...then back out. rest, relax and do it again. It will take time and patience plus you must be consistant in your cues always tapping when he isn't going forward, no tapping when he does. Never strike or whip hard.

hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-11-18 1:29 PM (#95077 - in reply to #95076)

Expert

Maybe they will understand this the way you put it!
Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-11-18 2:02 PM (#95079 - in reply to #95063)

If this has been an ongoing problem, it is a respect and training issue. She needs to work with him. Farmbabe's method is as good as they come. The horse will learn it's limits that way, and that it can't set it's own.

As far as anyone doubting that a bee or wasp can cause it, it can. Had an AQHA Champion in multiple events...a well seasoned 13-14 year old horse...stung by a wasp in the trailer. I had loaded him, went to load another horse, and he started having a fit in the trailer. Turns out he nosed a wasps nest and was stung several times. It took two weeks with everyday work to get him back in that same trailer. This horse was as "bombproof" as any horse can be. It can happen...

Towfoo
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-11-18 2:39 PM (#95082 - in reply to #95076)

Veteran

Originally written by farmbabe on 2008-11-18 1:16 PM

I doubt a horse would have such a bad experince in a tailer from a bug they encounter everday of their lives. It might happen but i suspect your looking for some excuse. I dont' buy it.

That was just a guess. I really don't know what if anything might have happened.

Sounds like a simply training issue. On the ground, prepare the horse by asking him to step over something like a pole. If he doesn't go over, tap tap tap with a whip until he does. he will learn that the tapping while not painful, isn't comfortable plus its a cue to move forward. then ask over a tarp then step up and over something larger. Again, if he moves or steps up, do nothing but if he doesn't, tap tap tap until he does not allowing him to back up, turn around...he must move forward or go over to stop the tapping. After he does well on the ground, move over the trailer and do the samething- ask to go in..tap tap tap until he does then stop the tapping. he will elarn that there is no other option but to go it. Then rest, relax maybe a treat...then back out. rest, relax and do it again. It will take time and patience plus you must be consistant in your cues always tapping when he isn't going forward, no tapping when he does. Never strike or whip hard.

She tried the tap-tap thing with a whip but it didn't help the day we hauled them, but the ground prep work over poles and such does sound like a good approach. I'll pass this along, thanks.

Edited by Towfoo 2008-11-18 2:41 PM
BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2008-11-19 8:13 PM (#95118 - in reply to #94999)

Extreme Veteran

I always have two cents for these.

Load a buddy first.  Funny how that breaks the bad habit fast.

We like to circle the horse if he won't load.  do not pull on him he should walk on with a loose lead. he should also unload with a loose lead. If he charges off. Load him again and again.  stop him halfway off and ask him to reload.  talk to him and praise him. All these exercises are important safety and confidence lessons for both horse and owner.  You never know when you may have to return your horse to the trailer before he is half way off.  The question is will he?  He definitely should.

Practice practice practice.

Once he loads take him for a ride around the block.

Our Appy was a nut this past spring.  My wife went skiing across the yard on spring morning.  by the end of the summer He was self loading and self unloading along with his partner in crime.

Nothing makes a horse owner more proud than a pair of horses that load land unload like champs.  Gets you there and home quicker too.

Just keep practicing.  do not hang on the head be patient.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-11-19 11:58 PM (#95123 - in reply to #95077)

Expert

I've taught all my horses to load with hay/feed.  Once they learn that its comfortable in there they don't hesitate and aren't afraid.  Once they start loading well I don't put feed in there unless it's a long trip.  None of mine give me problems loading after being trained this way.

I taught both my babies to load by loading mom and letting them watch mom (on a lead so they couldn't run out of moms sight) eat and be relaxed until their desire to be with mom overcame their fear of the trailer.  They learned that mom wasn't upset and they had the comfort of nursing when they got in.  Same with getting out, mom had her face in the hay bag while the baby called and finally jumped back out of the trailer.  After a couple of times of this they didn't hesitate. 

I don't see a problem with using food as an insentive in this situation.

TPompei
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2008-11-20 5:29 AM (#95125 - in reply to #94999)

I knew this thread would get lots of responses. I've heard of many approaches to helping a horse trailer load, but you have to take into consideration that the trailer is a very unnatural, scary, place for any horse.Trailer loading can be the ultimate test of the human horse relationship! I strongly recommend your friend get professional help before someone (horse or human) gets hurt. Is there a trusted professional near you that can come to your friends horse and trailer who can teach both horse and human? It sounds like it should only take a session or two... Here's a video of Joey, my trusted partner, trailer loading from last year. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyOT_CiMpa0
LBHUGG
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-11-20 11:41 AM (#95138 - in reply to #94999)

There are so many ways to teach a horse to load some work for some horses and some will not what this sounds like is just a respect issue for the handler there is a step by step approach you can get from clinton anderson on troublefree trailer loading i have used it on many horses and it has worked with every single one no bribery if you want a horse that loads without a problem every single time no questions asked i strongly recommend it
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)