'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Galvanized vs. Galvanneal?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-10-25 10:02 PM
6 replies, 7867 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jtravis
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-10-18 11:23 PM (#93230)
Subject: Galvanized vs. Galvanneal?

Regular

I asked a trailer dealer about the difference between "galvanized" and "galvanneal" steel. He said, "The electro galvenized is far superior to the galvanneal method.  Paint goes on much better." Is this correct? I live in Houston where it's very humid and everything rusts like crazy, and I've read that the galvanneal helps with this, but then I ran across a brochure touting the "galvanized" and I wasn't sure of the differences. Thanks for any information!

Jennifer  

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-10-19 3:31 AM (#93231 - in reply to #93230)
Subject: RE: Galvanized vs. Galvanneal?

Expert

http://www.finishing.com/276/36.shtml

http://www.steelmillsoftheworld.com/activities/datacenter/G_Note5.pdf

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-10-19 10:37 AM (#93235 - in reply to #93230)

Expert

It's been my impression that the galvaneal process involves a heating of the zinc coating that bonds it to the base metal, where as the galvanizing process involves dipping the metal into a hot bath of zinc. I believe the latter results in a more brittle bonding, that is not as durable, malleable or plastic as the other process.

Neither process can result in a product that is directly applied to an aluminum part without a barrier coating. This would include fasteners.

Gard

jtravis
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-10-19 8:29 PM (#93249 - in reply to #93230)

Regular

Thank you!!
HelenaTrailers
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-10-20 1:34 PM (#93284 - in reply to #93230)

Most trailer manufacturers use the "Galvanneal" process which will prevents rust but will not be as effective as Galvanized steel. The easiest way to explain it is Galvanized is like chain link fence. It will along time before you see any rust. Typically trailers with "steel" frames and aluminum sides (Galvanneal or Galvanized) use a 3M tape to prevent any electrolysis between the two different types of metals. If you can afford it I would go with an aluminum trailer is the humid and salty climate. Less chance down the road of problems with rust!
kevinh
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2008-10-22 7:47 PM (#93432 - in reply to #93230)

Galvanneal actually forms an alloy with the steel, whereas galvanized is just a coating.  As with anything, there are different grades of these materials.  The A-60 grade of galvanneal is very rust and corrosion resistant and can be left out in the weather for years unpainted without rusting.  Alot of automobile manufacturers use this galvanneal for sheet metal which is a large reason that you don't see as much rust as you did back in the 70's and 80's.  Paint will usually not stick to galvanized very well, whereas galvanneal has very good paint adhesion.  Having used both products for many years, galvanneal is definitely the better of the two for horse trailers.  Hope this helps.
jtravis
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-10-25 10:02 PM (#93635 - in reply to #93230)

Regular

This weekend a trailer dealer told me that galvanized and galvanneal were two different words for exactly the same thing. After reading all this, I knew better but didn't argue. :)

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)