'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Billy Shaw Saddles

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-08-12 7:33 AM
4 replies, 16949 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-08-09 9:33 AM (#89370)
Subject: Billy Shaw Saddles

Veteran

Once again, I shall turn to the wit and wisdom of the members of this forum...I had to sell my beloved Sean Ryon saddle because it no longer fit my swayback mare AND because I needed some cash..rough economic times...

So I am looking for a less expensive (hopefully temporary) replacement and I want a good looking barrel saddle that I can also ride for pleasure.

I see two kinds of "Billy Shaw" saddles on the internet.

One is made by Billy Shaw Saddlery in Flat Rock Alabama - the other is called a Billy Shaw saddle, but offered by Riders Choice Saddle Company in Bryant, Alabama. Riders Choice (in their description) says that Billy Shaw (who died in June) built saddles for them.

Now, I bought a saddle from Riders Choice a couple of years ago and I am very happy with it. I realize we are talking "middle of the road" (at best) saddle here.. a far cry from my Sean Ryon, Billy Cook, Circle Y, etc - BUT I am wondering if the real Billy Shaw saddles have a good reputation - and if the Billy Shaw-built saddles being offered through Riders Choice were really built by Billy Shaw or they just bought the name.

Or, is this a case where, like the Billy Cook saddles, the better saddles were made by the original (ie Sulphur OK) rather than the company to whom the name was sold... (Greenville, TX)

The reason I am considering the "real" Billy Shaw is that is used and I could get it for about $200 less than a "new" Billy Shaw offered by Riders Choice.

I called the Billy Shaw Saddlery in Flat Rock, but the number is disconnected, so I can't get any information there. I also called Riders Choice but they're closed until Monday -and if I want the saddles I am looking at, I need to bid now...

Other things to consider - the Rider's Choice Billy Shaw is built on an "equi-fit" tree, which they claim will fit about 80% of riding horses- I cannot tell what the "real" Billy Shaw is built on, the owner doesn't know.

Have I thoroughly confused everyone?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-08-09 10:25 AM (#89376 - in reply to #89370)
Subject: RE: Billy Shaw Saddles

Elite Veteran

I wouldn't bid on any saddle since your horse is sway backed and may need a combination of saddle pad wedges and close to proper fit saddle. Better to buy the best fit than to have another saddle that you need to sell.

Is there not a saddle dealer/tack store in your area that you can take your horse to and determine the correct fit for your horse? Or look at various sites that show how to do a fit measurement. Then you could take the measurements from the saddle fitting and locate a saddle that will work for you and your pal even from ebay if you are brave enough to buy it without trying it out first and just go off measurements. :)

Edited by ponytammy 2008-08-09 10:29 AM
barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-08-09 1:12 PM (#89388 - in reply to #89370)

Veteran

Thanks - I do have two saddle pads that have done me well. I have a Korrector air bladder pad that helps fill in the gaps, but that one is such a royal PITA that I don't always use it. I also have a Charmayne James-endorsed pad that has removable shims that fit right behind the shoulders, where she's hollowed out. This pad has helped fit a few different saddles to her.

I already own a Rider's Choice saddle (it's my daughter's) with their flex tree, and even though it's a cheaper saddle, it fits this mare (with the proper pad) as well as several other horses. Weird how versatile it is! So maybe I should just get what I know will fit her.

I was just curious about these Billy Shaw saddles with the "Equi-fit" tree.

brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-08-10 9:15 AM (#89419 - in reply to #89370)

The Equifit is a registered trademark for the Steele Bros Saddle Tree Company. They are located in TN and supply saddle trees to Dakota, Crates, Longhorn, Simco, Action, Tex Tan to name of few. I read somewhere that 80% of all American made saddles made in the last 10 years were built on a Steele Bros tree. I wouldn't doubt it since they are the leading saddle tree maker. Alot of your custom saddle companies have custom trees built by them. Steel Bros used to manufacture custom trees for indiviuals. They once made a specialized mule tree for one of our mules. We sent a tree back and forth several times before we felt like it fit perfectly. You can call them, they were very willing to help.

Steele custom saddles is in Champansboro, TN. They are a relative of the Steele Bros that own the saddle tree company. They have a website and can probably give you more up to date contact info.

http://www.steelesaddle.com/trees.htm

barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-08-12 7:33 AM (#89542 - in reply to #89370)

Veteran

Thanks for the link. Very enlightening, especially the comparison regarding flex trees. I have decided to take a chance and buy the Billy Shaw, half expecting it not to fit, but hoping for the best. I got a good deal and should be able to re-sell without a problem. Especially around these parts.

The only saddle dealer for 100 miles sells only Simco & Big Horn synthetics(and he marks them up considerably) - so there aren't many decent saddles reasonably priced in this area.

I will let you know how I make out.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)