'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Going from a Ford to a Chevy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-01-25 3:26 PM
8 replies, 4113 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

trailer/truck newbie
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-01-23 1:05 PM (#75138)
Subject: Going from a Ford to a Chevy

Regular

Hello everyone,

Wow, it has been a while since I had time to keep up with all the new posts and add my own comments. Is anyone else recovering from the hectic pace that always accompanies the holiday season? We also added a new puppy to our household so it has been busy (the housetraining part is no fun).

I just wanted to post a follow up on my experience of switching from the 4.6 litre F150 to the CHEV K3500 one ton dually. As you might recall, my first experience pulling my trailer was a disaster as I had not thought to adjust my trailer brakes and I was lucky I didn't end up in the ditch. However, thanks to the advice I received from Gard, Hosspuller, Genebob, Chadsalt, Crowley's Ridge Girl, and others, I am now really enjoying my new rig and I can even back up in a parking lot! I check my tire pressure with my aluminum bat (per Gard), and I know what the proper sound and feel of a properly inflated tire is. Thanks to Genebob, I also know not to check the pressure, or try to inflate a tire when it is super cold out. I am very grateful for all the information that has so kindly been shared with me by all the experienced folks in the forum. I also wanted you all to know that your advice has not fallen on deaf ears. I am a much more knowledgeable and safer driver because of the information I have received here in this forum. It also occurred to me that this forum is actually better than any book one could buy as I don't have time to sit down and read a lot, and also, books don't answer you back when you ask a question.

I am hoping to find more time to read more and post as well, but I did want to pass on my sincere thanks to all the individuals in this forum who have helped me so much. You guys are a great bunch!

Kind regards,

Jodie

ps I don't know if this will spark a huge discussion but I find I like the Chev better than the ford as it seems to have a better suspension (it isn't nearly as bumpy), also, the seats in the Chev are by far more comfortable. I am not sure why, however, the turning radius on the Chev seems better also as I can make tighter turns than I could with the Ford. I am mechanically illiterate, so these are just my uneducated observations.

Edited by trailer/truck newbie 2008-01-23 1:13 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-01-23 5:01 PM (#75160 - in reply to #75138)
Subject: RE: Going from a Ford to a Chevy

Expert

Welcome back. Now that you're a seasoned trucker of noteable fame, you can feel proud about what you have accomplished. You're driving a large rig with knowledge,skill and safety. The young 4hrs probably think you're awesome, and the horses are glad they will be secure in their new transportation.

You did it the right way Jodi, you asked good questions and learned the answers. There is a written wealth of knowledge, but it is sometimes a lot easier to get OJT; on the job training.

With your newfound experiences, you will soon be able to help us out with all our questions. Good job, well done.

BOL  Gard 

genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2008-01-24 11:11 AM (#75216 - in reply to #75138)

Elite Veteran

Jodie- Glad things are working out for you and I know that you will get even better with time and experience.Yes the Chev does have a tighter turning radius and does ride a little smoother. Also at the risk of creating a controversy, the old timers used to say "Drive a Chevy for comfort and a Ford to Tow!" That's why I drive a 1/2 ton chevy for daily driving and an F350 for pulling.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-01-24 11:48 AM (#75220 - in reply to #75138)

Expert

quote: genebob.....the old timers used to say "Drive a Chevy for comfort and a Ford to Tow!"  

genebob!! Old timers ain't said no such a thing! That's some foolishness you made up!! LOL!!

I drive a Chevy because....It's easy for me to load my wheelchair, the 4x4's sit a little closer to the ground!

Jodie, Have you got you a CB radio yet?! Got to have a CB if you're driving a "dually"!!

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-01-24 2:57 PM (#75233 - in reply to #75138)

Expert

Dont know about the "old timers", but I say Ive been left on the side of the road by all the big 3, and International, AND Mack. Any one that wants to argue Ford Chevy Dodge just doesnt have enough miles under their belt, and in turn had enough time sitting on the side of the road thinking about (cursing) their current choice.........they ALL break down.
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-01-24 3:06 PM (#75235 - in reply to #75138)

Elite Veteran

I have to agree with the comparison in rides b/w Ford and Chevy.  Chevy's do ride better, but my personal preference, especially for a towing rig, is for the stiffer suspension therefore rougher ride of the Ford.  My empty F350 is far from pleasant on rougher surfaced highways, but pulling the trailer its an entirely different story.  My husband has a cube van for his finish carpentry business, and last year traded the one ton Chevy chassis for a Ford E450.  Part of the decision was he was pushing the max weight capacities of the one ton.   I drove it a few times loaded and it reminded me of driving my grandparent's "boat" cars from the 1970's (big Chevys Buicks, Cadillacs, etc.).  The suspension was very "giving" and it kind of floated down the road.  I didn't particularly care for the feeling, I'd rather have a nice crisp reaction when I'm towing or hauling a load.  The E450 feels alot like my loaded F350 and I personally just prefer it, but it is a matter of personal preference.

I have a friend who pulls her trailer with an F350 but has a Denali as her daily driver.  I think she's got it figured out. 

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-01-24 4:28 PM (#75239 - in reply to #75138)

Expert

Did anyone notice that the change in trucks occurred between a heavy half with srw and a one ton dually? Of course there will be differences. There would be a difference if the comparison were between two models of the SAME brand.

3yrHitch2Bumper
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-01-25 8:49 AM (#75272 - in reply to #75138)

Regular

very cool story Newbie.....thanks for sharing and she is right, this is a good board ....

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-01-25 3:26 PM (#75289 - in reply to #75239)

Elite Veteran

Yes, but I've found the differences to occur across the product lines, ie:  F150/C1500 and F350/C3500. 

Originally written by gard on 2008-01-24 2:28 PM

Did anyone notice that the change in trucks occurred between a heavy half with srw and a one ton dually? Of course there will be differences. There would be a difference if the comparison were between two models of the SAME brand.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)