'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Buying a used trailer long distance

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-08-09 11:59 PM
8 replies, 3941 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

tpotts
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2007-08-06 6:47 AM (#65220)
Subject: Buying a used trailer long distance

Is there a good safe way to buy a used trailer without actually seeing the trailer and inspecting it yourself? I found a used trailer that we are very interested in. However, it is in Oregon and we are in Indiana. This is through a private seller and not a dealer. I can't really take the time to go out there but trailers like this are very hard to find or I have not been looking in the right spot. Any suggestions or helpful hints?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
whoaboy
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-06 6:57 AM (#65221 - in reply to #65220)
Subject: RE: Buying a used trailer long distance

Regular

Get as many pictures as you can, ask all kinds of questions and keep the email answers. Then are you going to go see it and pick it up or just get it delivered? Do some investigations too on the people. I had a friend who paid some money, don't remember if it was all or just a big deposit, anyway they never got it. Phone was suddenly disconnected. After the fact, they did some checking and the people didn't even live where they said they did and the locals did know of them and said they were no good. A little late in the game for the info but they never were able to get their money back. Just be super careful.
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-08-06 11:56 AM (#65240 - in reply to #65220)

Expert

I have sold/bought a few trailers long distance (400-500 miles), Indiana-Oregon would be a little to far for me. I always ask for some silly picture like under the trailer, if they can produce that photo they probley have the trailer. I know some will say that can be faked but you will get a feel for the folks. If they are willing to do something a little out of the way then I get more comfortable with the deal. I have met folks half wato buy and to sell. I always talk with a live person whom can answer some serious trailer questions.
Maximizer
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-08-06 7:33 PM (#65276 - in reply to #65220)

I just bought a trailer 350 miles away from my home..  I looked the pictures over real well and asked lots of questions.. It was exactly what they said when I got there..  If you are really seriously interested in getting the trailer just plan a road trip..  Take a certified check, not cash with you..  Never know what might happen..  Go out there with the intention on buying it and if its not exactly what you want when you get there then turn around and head home..  Granted you are out fuel money but thats a lot better than losing a deposit or getting had by some crook..  Plus if you don't like it, look at the bright side, you get to see a lot of country, plus a mini vacation..    GOOD LUCK!!!!!
coltaffyjo
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-08-06 9:11 PM (#65281 - in reply to #65220)

Regular

BE CAREFUL.......Hopefully you have a seller that is honest.....But dang that is a far trip!!! You must really LOVE the trailer they are selling.....Maybe they would meet you half way....................Since you live in Indiana, Maintrailersales is an excellent dealer south of Indy!! Best of Luck!!
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-08-07 7:15 PM (#65360 - in reply to #65220)

Expert

Originally written by tpotts on 2007-08-06 7:47 AM

Is there a good safe way to buy a used trailer without actually seeing the trailer and inspecting it yourself? I found a used trailer that we are very interested in. However, it is in Oregon and we are in Indiana. This is through a private seller and not a dealer. I can't really take the time to go out there but trailers like this are very hard to find or I have not been looking in the right spot. Any suggestions or helpful hints?

It would be better if you had relatives or really good friends who lived in the Oregon area and could give it the once over...It must be one heck of a deal when you figure the miles you are going to have to travel to pick it up...

Paints
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-08-07 9:39 PM (#65365 - in reply to #65220)

Veteran

We bought GREAT used lqs trailer in OR from IL.Asked many many questions and told them NEED truth NO lies etc since we traveling so far to buy so no lies be up front n HONEST.We saved $12,000-$16,000 from private owners than dealerships in area states.Best luck to ya too.
prcwednesday
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-09 4:55 PM (#65507 - in reply to #65220)

New User

Besides the basic questions about condition of tires, floor, electrical etc. What are some of the other questions you should be asking in a long distance purchase?
captclank
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-08-09 11:59 PM (#65539 - in reply to #65220)

Veteran

In my opinion, you have to take a chance on the drive unless you can find someone you trust to check it out first. I drove from AZ to MO, thought I checked the trailer out pretty good, only to get all the way back home to find the plumbing was hooked up wrong and the shower went into the black tank. There was no way to figure it our other than to test with the valves open and operating EVERY sink, etc. There was also no way to fix it without removing everything then removing the floor then redoing the plumbing. I was lucky and the company bought it back, but I was still out several thousand dollars and a week of time! BUYER BEWARE!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)