'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
aluminum vs steel

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-02-17 8:25 PM
8 replies, 3970 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ArabHorseLover
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2007-02-12 8:16 AM (#55427)
Subject: aluminum vs steel

Regular

I've been searching for a 3 horse gooseneck, with a 7-9k budget. I've found quite a few nice steel trailers (for example a 2004 Titan with all the options I want, except an escape door).But I've been getting grief from friends because it's a steel trailer - saying that I can get a aluminum for the same budget if I just wait. Well, I have found a couple, but they are at least 10 years older than the steel trailers.My question to you knowledgeable people... is it really worth getting an aluminum trailer if it's 10 years older than the steel one's I can afford??
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
greyhorse
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-02-12 1:59 PM (#55439 - in reply to #55427)
Subject: RE: aluminum vs steel

Extreme Veteran

It's really going to depend on the condition and quality of the trailers. Steel tends to rust more if not taken care of but aluminum has it's own problems too. I would say that it' probably not worth getting a trailer that much older just because it's aluminum if they are of the same quality (built as well).
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-02-12 4:04 PM (#55441 - in reply to #55427)

Expert

Go get a steel trailer if it has the stuff you want and a price you can afford. Who cares what your friends think? Its not their money. Its yours. I bought a steel trailer and while it did show signs of minor surface rust, it didn't completely fall apart within a few years. It takes a long time of neglect to rust out a trailer. I have an aluminum now. Its not a matter of right/wrong...its about what you can afford and need.

Edited by farmbabe 2007-02-13 7:18 AM
Ardly
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-02-12 9:50 PM (#55463 - in reply to #55427)

Veteran

Personaly, I would and have bought 10+ year old aluminum trailers before buying the newer steel versions. Either one will last a long time if taken proper care of but mine sits out in the weather year round and I never concern myself with how long it'll be before time to repaint and it looks as good this year as it has in the past with minimal upkeep. We had a steel bumper pull to start with (many years ago),gave it a good paint job and by the next year it was allready showing some signs of rust and paint chipping.Just my personal opinion but I'd pick a well taken care of older aluminum trailer any day over a newer or brand new steel. Really just a matter of what you're priorities are.Good luck whichever you chose.
rkranchgirl
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2007-02-13 9:17 AM (#55479 - in reply to #55427)

Regular

I live in Minnesota as well, I know how hard the road salt can be on your vehicles.  I have only owned steel trailers.  I am on my third trailer and have never had a problem with rust.  I trailer in the winter and the trailers have always sat outside.  I just wash them and put a good coat of wax on the roof and fenders where water might tend to sit.  My current trailer is a Galvaneal and it is five years old, absolutely no signs of surface rust anywhere.  So if the steel is what you can afford and is a trailer that you want and like, get it!!  The only reason I have sold trailers is to go bigger.  Odds are, with a little care, you will want to upgrade anyway before the trailer rusts.  Have fun with your new trailer!!
ArabHorseLover
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2007-02-14 12:50 PM (#55551 - in reply to #55427)

Regular

thanks everyone. My thought process is this... my truck & cars are all steel, so I guess it can't be all bad. ha! Besides the trailer I have now is 30 years old... it's steel and it's not pretty, but it still hauls beautifully.The trailer I'm leaning toward is galvaneal too - glad to hear that's worked well for others. The only time I normally haul in the winter would be in the case of an emergency.That's it - I'm going to go buy the steel one this weekend. Thank you!
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-02-14 1:46 PM (#55560 - in reply to #55427)

Expert

Good Luck! Other than buying a new horse, a new trailer is such fun.

Ps I happen to own and love arabians too

Edited by farmbabe 2007-02-14 1:47 PM
kershawsowner
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-02-15 1:34 AM (#55588 - in reply to #55427)

Veteran

i had a steel trailer for 11 years that held up pretty good..but i live in tn.. winter is not bad for one thing and i dont take trailers out much in the winter.. that would be one of my considerations,money supply would be another,and if you do go with a steel for not alot of $$$build a carport or lean shed from your barn and park it under there that would help alot.. i did go to alum.a couple of yrs ago and mine does set outside.. i keep it washed and put tire covers on it when parked for over three of four wks.. exp.in summer months.. the big concern i have and the hardest thing for me is pulling those matts up two or three times a yr to clean floor good so urine want destroy floor.. good luck with your trailer buying   happy trails
klo show horses
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-02-17 8:25 PM (#55745 - in reply to #55427)

New User

I had a steel trailer and it was horrible. I owned it for three years before I went and bought an aluminum and it went back to the factory after every winter because it would rust and leak all over. I bought a Sundowner Valuelite - steel frame and aluminum skin - I love it.... They are much lighter than the steel and easier to haul. The steel trailer I had was a Charmac and like I said it was at the factory more than I was able to use it. I would stay away from Charmac if you are going to get a steel trailer.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)