'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Face Guard

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-01-08 11:01 PM
8 replies, 5048 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Imdreamingofagypsy
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-01-05 10:47 AM (#53333)
Subject: Face Guard

New User

I'm in the process of buying my first trailer (Platinum, 2H, bumperbull).  What is the value of having face/window guards?  I won't be towing with the windows dropped down so I'd guess the only time you'd use them would be if you had the horse in the trailer and didn't want his head hanging out?   They add to the cost of the trailer & if it isn't something I'd commonly use, I thought I might forego them.  I'd love input on whether I should have them installed or not & how or when you use them.

Sandi 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
jailer
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2007-01-05 3:45 PM (#53354 - in reply to #53333)
Subject: RE: Face Guard

jailer
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2007-01-05 3:51 PM (#53355 - in reply to #53333)

I had them installed on my sundowner and I love them. They are a little pricey but I think they add to the resale value of your trailer. I haul mine with the windows down in the summer though, when you get more then one horse in there the body heat generates and the windows down gives great air flow. There is nothing I hate to see worse then someone hauling down the road and their horses heads sticking out. You can definetly get by without them its all preference really.
lostinohio
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-01-05 4:38 PM (#53358 - in reply to #53333)

In agreement with jailer here, I'm surprised they sell dropdowns without the bars. We tow with windows down(bars up) for better airflow(we put fly masks on the boys then) during summer. During some rainy barrel shows(yes, we still run in the rain) the horses can get tossed in trailer and not stick heads out. I don't see how not having bars will help resale--I wouldn't get a trailer without them. Good luck.
captclank
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-01-05 5:03 PM (#53362 - in reply to #53333)

Veteran

If you don't want to spend the money on drop down bars, you can get easy to install screens at any trailer dealer. I prefer the bars, but screens are an inexpensive solution. You don't want you horses head hanging out and they need the ventilation.
jailer
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2007-01-05 5:39 PM (#53363 - in reply to #53358)

I agree lostinohio, they should make at least the screens standard equipment with the aluminum face guards as an upgrade. My last Sundowner was an older model and I put the screens in although they are nice for the air flow and keeping their heads in they are not as easy accessable as the drop down aluminum face guards. When you travel a long distance the bars are so much easier for watering. On the trailer I have now I dropped it off in Ohio on the way home and had them put a lot of upgrades on it for me and I realize now what I was missing. I decided that you should get exactly what you want or you will always be wanting. I am totally happy with this trailer and don't see me getting another one again. It should out live me..lol
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-01-06 12:35 PM (#53411 - in reply to #53333)

Elite Veteran

i love having metal face guards on my trailer. they help with hauling on a hot day. i do put a face mask on my horse to make his eyes safe in case something should "blow" into the trailer. such as bugs, road debris, etc. they also are nice to have when you are parked somewhere loaded. you drop down the windows, go have lunch and do not have to worry about your horse's head sticking out . i think it will also help you with resale.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-01-08 10:43 PM (#53567 - in reply to #53333)
Subject: Face guards

Expert

we traded a trailer recently that was fairly new,and had several good features.But one we didn't like was: the lack of bars on the windows.They were either shut with slider windows and screens over them,or they were dropped down and the horses could put their heads out.We were about to install screens over the windows so we could drop them down while hauling but traded trailers.(NOT for this reason!tho.)But one of the selling points of the new trailer was the alum.face/window bars.
Imdreamingofagypsy
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-01-08 11:01 PM (#53570 - in reply to #53333)

New User

Thanks for the input...guess we'll be getting faceguards...sounds like money well spent.
Sandi
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)