'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Do your horses sweat a lot in trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-11-30 10:23 AM
8 replies, 4340 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

cindydj
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2006-11-25 9:59 AM (#51885)
Subject: Do your horses sweat a lot in trailer

Regular

We just got a Sundowner with drop down windows on head and bus on back and we hauled two of our horses for the first time over Thanksgiving and one of them really sweated. They both did some, now it was 73 outside. I had all the windows and vents open....what will happen when it is in the 90's? I hope he was just kinda nervous and will get better.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-11-25 1:50 PM (#51889 - in reply to #51885)
Subject: RE: Do your horses sweat a lot in trailer

Expert

Originally written by cindydj on 2006-11-25 9:59 AM

We just got a Sundowner with drop down windows on head and bus on back and we hauled two of our horses for the first time over Thanksgiving and one of them really sweated. They both did some, now it was 73 outside. I had all the windows and vents open....what will happen when it is in the 90's? I hope he was just kinda nervous and will get better.

Without knowing the horses its hard to say, although you did say "for the first time". I'd guess it might have been stress induced. As we all know, horses ARE sensitive creatures and they CAN pick up on our tensions.
IOW, if YOU were nervous about the trip the chances are that your horse(s) picked up on that. As YOU get more comfortable with trailering them, THEY will likely get more comfortable with being trailered, - partly by picking up less stress from you (-:
This is part of the reason that pro haulers don't get horses as sweated as some owners do. They KNOW the horse(s) will load easily and that the trip is going to be no big deal, the horse(s) sense that the person in charge of the situation has confidence, etc.
cindydj
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2006-11-25 9:53 PM (#51898 - in reply to #51885)

Regular

Well it wasn't the first time we have trailered them. But the first time they have been in this enclosed trailer and we left one at home. This horse does tend to sweat more and seemed a little more nervous in this trailer....I hope it was stress and will just get easier for him.
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-11-25 11:26 PM (#51899 - in reply to #51898)

Extreme Veteran

My horse will sweat alot in the trailer if I am going through traffic in the city to get back home after a ride. The temp can be the same as when we head out earlier in the day when traffic is light, but later when traffic is heavy he gets nervous. He's sometimes wetter when we get back from a ride than after the ride itself :)
RoperChick
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-11-26 1:17 AM (#51902 - in reply to #51885)

Veteran

It's got to be really warm (high 80's & above) before my horses sweat in the trailer.  When they do sweat, it's usually not a lot, just on their neck & shoulders.
Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-11-26 5:52 PM (#51939 - in reply to #51885)

Extreme Veteran

this might be a job for the remote thermometer in the trailer compartment.  That way you know if it is hot in there or not.  I hauled to Chicago with one, and I found that when the sun was behind clouds, the temp was about the same in the trailer, and when the sun was out full, the temp was about 2 degrees higher.  This was when it was about low 80s.  The trailer has a fiberglass roof.  I was still concerned about heat, though.

I know before my friend had her metal roof insulated, it was hot in her trailer when the sun was shining on it.  When we would unload our horses, we could feel the heat coming off the metal from the roof.  I bet if we had touched it, we could have burned our hand.

She had her hub insulate it and that worked great!!!!!

Jbsny

sable812
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-11-27 5:45 AM (#51948 - in reply to #51885)

Veteran

I have drop downs on the rear too and have an insulated roof. I live in NC where it gets hot. I try to haul early in the AM. My horses don't sweat. I insulated the roof myself at a cost of around $200. It is well worth it.
kershawsowner
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-11-29 10:03 PM (#52048 - in reply to #51885)

Veteran

my horses use to sweat hauling in the heat but i had bus windows on the one side and metal roof.. the trailer i have now has fiberglass roof and drop down on both sides... we hauled the summer in 95 degree weather and they did not sweat.. much at all.. i did not buy this trailer because it had drop down on both side but now im glad i did get that trailer.. what is your roof made of..??? besides insulation you could put fans back there (small ones) wire them into trailer  i have seen this done before... hope that helps  happy trails
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-11-30 10:23 AM (#52056 - in reply to #51885)

Extreme Veteran

Mine don't now. The person I bought my trailer from had the horse area insulated like the tack/sleeping area, and it was horrible, even with the slat but side and dropped down windows, and top vents, never had a horse sweat in a trailer before, so demoliton started!!!!! Now they just cruise and fall asleep!!! You can see my link below to see my demolition of what the front was like, can't remember if my horse compartment is there or not, but it is much better, like from the factory again!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)