'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Valley Stow-A-Ball vs B&W Turnover?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-08-23 9:05 PM
8 replies, 3729 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Stylin'
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-08-20 12:31 PM (#46981)
Subject: Valley Stow-A-Ball vs B&W Turnover?

New User

I was all set to get the B&W Turnover Hitch installed with extender until I talked to a local C&C dealer locally who is promoting the Valley Stow-A-Ball. He explained that although B&W is a great hitch, he thought the Valley was better because rather than the ball being stationary and 'grinding' over time in the B&W, the Valley ball rotates freely in the socket to help eliminate binding and wear on the coupler or ball. It is rated to tow 30,000 lbs.

Another difference: the Extender. While B&W extender actually installs in the bed on the ball, the Valley extender REPLACES the existing receiver on the trailer (sorry if I don't have the right term here). So you basically take out what comes with the trailer and just slide the extender up and secure it with bolts. He said that this also helped to keep everything aligned straighter (he said the B&W extender was 'offset' to the side?).

I know alot of people love the B&W which is where I was headed. Does anyone have an opinion on the Valley (www.valleyindustries.com)

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dawnya
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-08-20 12:57 PM (#46984 - in reply to #46981)
Subject: RE: Valley Stow-A-Ball vs B&W Turnover?

Extreme Veteran

Sounds like he was just wanting to sell you another hitch.

The extender isn't off set to the side.  That makes no sense.  It extends straight behind a few inches.

Why do you feel you need an extender?  I drive a Dodge short bed with B&W and pull a gooseneck.  If your trailer has a tapered nose, you will not need an extender.

laxpatrick
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-08-20 5:41 PM (#46997 - in reply to #46981)

Veteran

While I'm sure that Valley makes fine products, if you talk to the guys that haul professionally, B&W seems to be the reference standard. With more than enough capacity and such a reputation, I wouldn't trust my horses to anything less. I looked at other options, but based upon the references that I got on the TDR (Turbo Diesel Register), B&W was the only choice.

Valley seems to be the kind of hitches that you'd get installed at the local U-Haul. That's fine for some folks.

LAXPatrick
bocephusrequest
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-08-20 8:24 PM (#47008 - in reply to #46997)

I have a draw-tite fold away that works great for me....I think it just depends on the truck, personal preference, and trailer.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-08-21 1:32 PM (#47068 - in reply to #46981)

Expert

Seems like both are comparable products.

I installed a B&W five years ago.  It has held up very well.  If you were going to install it yourself, the valley requires a 3 3/4 hole saw versus the 4" B&W requires.  I already have a 4" hole saw.  The 3 3/4 is an odd size vs 4"  I would discount the "rotates freely" aspect of the Valley hitch.  It may mean the ball gets sloppy with time.  I have never had the B&W ball bind, and it doesn't rotate

MrTruck
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-08-22 2:00 AM (#47107 - in reply to #46981)

Elite Veteran

When I looked over the Valley at SEMA a couple of years ago comparing it to B&W and PopUp, on top they where comparable. On the bottom side, the Valley only had the V gussets connecting the ball socket to channel frame on one side. The B&W and PopUp had the V gusset on both sides. So I would conclude that a trailer pushes and pulls, so I'd vote for a brace on each side of the ball socket.
laxpatrick
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-08-23 9:06 AM (#47203 - in reply to #46981)

Veteran

Any comments on the unagoose?  I considered that one since you don't have to drill extra holes for the safety chains.  Spendier than the B&W...  I think it's http://www.unagoose.com

LAXPatrick

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-08-23 2:46 PM (#47250 - in reply to #47203)

Expert

Originally written by laxpatrick on 2006-08-23 8:06 AM

Any comments on the unagoose?  I considered that one since you don't have to drill extra holes for the safety chains.  Spendier than the B&W... 

I looked at the Unagoose too.  I liked the locking control is at the ball instead of under the fender...

But I liked the storage of the B&W better.  The unigoose is a large greasy hunk of metal to store when not in use.

sjhinkle
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-08-23 9:05 PM (#47281 - in reply to #46981)

I have installed the B&W on several trucks but I perfer and use on my truck the Draw-Tite Remove-A-Ball (30K). I haul hay in the bed of my truck and several other dirty object when I'm not towing. By using the Remove-A-Ball, the hay seed, sand, dirt, etc does not clog the mechanics of the hitch (B&W Ball can get stuck easily). I also don't have to worry about reaching over a muddy tire to pull a plunger. If you use the bed of your truck - I say go with the Remove-A-Ball. We install 10 to 1 over B&W

Note: Valley is their own manufacturer - Curt Mfg makes the hitches for U-Haul and they also own DaLan Hitches.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)