'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Painting trailer with rustoleum

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-04-02 10:09 AM
8 replies, 14360 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

upslady
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-03-30 6:00 PM (#39803)
Subject: Painting trailer with rustoleum

Has anyone had any success painting a horse trailer with Rustoleum products? I am purchasing an older but sturdy slant load stock trailer with tack area. I wanted to spruce it up without sinking a lot of money into it which I will not be able to get back out of it. I talked to a couple of paint shops here in South Florida and was given a price of 1000 to 1500. Which is too high for the 1500 dollar trailer. One of the shops suggested using rustoleum and rolling it on.

So has anyone seen a trailer done this way? If so did it look like an eyesore. I think the paint would be very flat or dull. Any suggestions of doing it on the cheap would be helpful.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-03-30 11:43 PM (#39820 - in reply to #39803)
Subject: RE: Painting trailer with rustoleum

Expert

Got a friend who recently sprayed his with Rustoleum.Used a compresser,auto spray gun etc.Looks ok I guess..(of course better then it did look)Several suggested he should have painted it with auto paint.Did it in his barn.
mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2006-03-31 4:48 AM (#39824 - in reply to #39803)

Elite Veteran

I have an older steel trailer and we redid the roof on it and rolled on a silver rustoleum paint. So far it has held up well and doesn't look to bad either.
Lobo56
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-31 8:02 AM (#39830 - in reply to #39803)

Been using Rustoleum for years on small utility trailers, the problem with Rustoleum paint is the setup time. It takes forever to dry, and will run on large vertical surfaces like a horse trailer side, if you’re not being careful when spraying it. Also with it not setup fast you get a lot of dust sticking to it.  Don’t get me wrong, Rustoleum is great stuff but not for the outside of a horse trailer. Get some acrylic enamel auto paint which will setup in 5-10 min between coats and you will have a nice job.

Ike
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-03-31 8:51 AM (#39833 - in reply to #39803)

Veteran

We bought an old rusted 2H BP several yr ago and did not want to put much into it, as it was our first trailer. Bought it home, parked it in the back yard, sanded a little here and there.  Painted with Rustoleum spray cans. Took awhile but turned out real nice. Use the original color if possible. (White on white, etc.) Sold it for more than I had in it after three years of use.

Lobo has the right idea though. That is the better way.

ISHOM
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2006-03-31 9:02 AM (#39835 - in reply to #39803)

Regular

I have repainted 3 horse trailers with a tractor paint that you can buy at Orschleans(sp?) or Tractor Supply Company.  I have painted 2 with brushes and the other I rolled on.  It has held up well and has slowed the rusting down on the small rust spots.   If you get up close you can tell it's a "home" job but it sure looked alot better than before.  My 24 foot goosneck fully enclosed with 4 drop down windows (If I remember right) cost me about$150. in paint.
Flooper
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-03-31 9:08 AM (#39836 - in reply to #39803)

Veteran

I did the same thing as ISHOM, with the same results. It actually looks pretty darn good. Stayed with the same red color as original, which helped a lot.
SaddleSore
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2006-04-02 9:54 AM (#39890 - in reply to #39803)

Regular

Some friends of mine that restore old cars use POR15 to stop rust,they claim it's the best.It's only drawback is UV light breaks it down,so you'd need to apply a topcoat.The website is www.por15.com .Another site that has some refinishing products is www.eastwood.com .

SaddleSore

Rander
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2006-04-02 10:09 AM (#39891 - in reply to #39803)

Rustoleum sells several types of paints.  The one I've found that works best in renovating my old Hale gooseneck is their Rustoleum Professional brand. It is available in both cans and aerosols.  It covers better, dries quickly, has a fair shine and stands up to weather conditions pretty well. Although not as well as auto paint but a lot less expensive. The range of colors is more limited than the Rustoleum regular paints and it is a bit more expensive than the regular spray cans. Like any of them it will run if put on too heavily.  The aerosol needs at least 3 coats because it goes on in thinner coats than compressor sprayed or brushed on.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)