'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Using Dorm type fridge

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-04-14 8:42 PM
8 replies, 3482 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Lea Anne
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2006-03-28 8:52 AM (#39637)
Subject: Using Dorm type fridge

Veteran

My daughter's new Sport Exiss has an area on the floor which is enclosed with cabinet doors and has a plug-in at the back. There is a clothes rod at the top but a dorm-size fridge fits in there perfectly after raising the floor a couple inches so that the fridge door clears easily. Anyone have any experience using one of these in this enclosed area? I'm wondering if it will get too hot in there? Thanks
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2006-03-28 1:44 PM (#39659 - in reply to #39637)
Subject: RE: Using Dorm type fridge

Extreme Veteran

I have on in our trailer and I built the opening to the specs that the fridge manufacturer had on the owners manual. They can over-heat so I would check to see if you have the right clearance for anyone that you buy, other than that ours works great but we are limited to using it when we have hook ups or our generator.

Hope this helps,

Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-03-29 6:16 AM (#39701 - in reply to #39637)

Extreme Veteran

We used one as a second fridge in our old trailer. We carried it under the table and then set it up outside the camper door. There is a recepticle there. They produce a lot of heat. So, it's better in an open area. The other benefit to putting it by the door is that it's a convinient place to put things that you want to carry in and out (dishes and condiments, etc.) We have an electric coffee pot and would set it on top of the little fridge in the morning.

Don'y need it any more our new trailer has a 6 cu. ft. fridge.
Concrete
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-03-29 7:48 AM (#39711 - in reply to #39637)

We have one in our new Trailer. When we did the LQ I gave Double Duty the correct measurments and they left an opening under the counter. It works fine when the trailer is pluged in. We've always used a large cooler, so if we travel long distance we will use the cooler to transport food till we get pluged in. After we arrive we use the Cooler outside to keep the drinks handy.  

What I like about this is the cost. If something goes wrong with the fridge, all we have to do is go to Sam's or Costco to get a new one. Cheap.

threehorses
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-04-05 1:34 PM (#39995 - in reply to #39637)

I can't remember exactly where I read this, but I was reading up on the same subject lately and comparing the more expensive compact built-in refrigerators with the countertop type. Apparently the built-in refrigerators for a home have the venting out the front so you can actually install them in a cabinet as long as either you take the cabinet door off, or open it when you have the fridge opened. However, they're more expensive - considerably so.In the article (which regretably I can't find now) it said that you can build in a standard countertop type refrigerator. However, you want to leave at least four inches preferably more behind the fridge and the manufacturer's recommended space on the sides, too. I too am concerned about heat building up. I had read on an RV forum where people installed a small 12 volt fan in an area of an appliance where they wanted to ensure more cooling behind it. The 12volt fans are very easy to install and don't take up much energy at all. That might be something to consider if you do build one in.Good luck!
OK-Cowboy
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-04-05 1:52 PM (#39996 - in reply to #39637)

Lea Anne,

If you don't mind me asking, where did your daughter get her trailer?  

iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-04-05 6:25 PM (#40002 - in reply to #39996)

Extreme Veteran

I used one 12 years in another trailer I had and never had a minutes trouble and it was just open at the front. If you turn iut on ahead of time and make sure everything you put in is already cold, you can travel pretty far without elec and stuff still stay cold.

maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2006-04-06 2:40 PM (#40033 - in reply to #40002)

Extreme Veteran

If i have to travel with mine, I just fill old water bottles abut half full and freeze them, put them in the fridge and it stays cold. When I get to where we are going put them in the freezer to keep them frozen for the retun trip.

Lea Anne
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2006-04-14 8:42 PM (#40456 - in reply to #39637)

Veteran

OK Cowboy, Sorry for the delay in responding, my daughter and I went to CCTR last week. She bought her trailer at Jim's Motors in Cuba, Mo.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)