'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
gooseneck clearance for a tall truck

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-03-06 1:44 PM
8 replies, 15375 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

rednapla
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-03-03 2:01 PM (#117213)
Subject: gooseneck clearance for a tall truck

New User

hi.  I found a trailer I liked, but there are only about four inches of clearance between the gooseneck and the bed rails of the truck which is kind of scary.  The trailer is level this way and I don't want to have to do a lot of expensive and possibly unsafe adjustments.   What kind of trailer would go with a Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 4-wheel drive?   I'd rather just get a trailer that fits the truck if possible, but if they are all going to have this problem, I might as well try to fix this one....
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
nobodyimportant
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-03-03 2:13 PM (#117215 - in reply to #117213)
Subject: RE: gooseneck clearance for a tall truck

Veteran

You are right in being concerned.  You will want at least 5".  What year is your truck?  With all of the expert truck guys on this site information like that will get you a lot more helpful advise.  You can put 2" blocks on the trailer safely and that will help some.  Make sure you take it to a certified weld shop to do the work.
horsecamper
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2010-03-03 2:26 PM (#117216 - in reply to #117213)

Veteran

rednapla,  This strikes me as unusual.  Chevy's are the lowest of the big three's if they haven't been modified.  Has the truck been modified?  Does the trailer have a drop nose?  Provide more information and the guys on this forum will help you out.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-03-03 6:48 PM (#117224 - in reply to #117213)

Expert

See if you can't just lower the Gooseneck coupler another couple of inches.  yes this will raise the front of the from level. But give it a try and see just how far out level it really puts the trailer.  Two - three inches on the coupler may not amount to a lot at the axles when you figure they are 24 feet behind the ball. It just depends on how long the trailer is, where the axles are positioned.

Ideally you would want to weigh each axle on a scale.  You are trying to keep equal weight on both axles.  By raising the front of a trailer too much, you reduce the weight on the front axle and increase the weight on the rear axle. Depending on how heavy your trailer is and what your tires are rated for, this could over load the tires on the rear axle.

The point is there are a lot of trailers going down the road with a slight incline to the front of the trailer. As long as you have not thrown the axles weights out of wack, it's tolerable.

rednapla
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-03-03 8:00 PM (#117226 - in reply to #117215)

New User

thank you for the responses.  The truck  is a 2007 and it does have the 4 wheel drive, but hasn't been modified as far as I know.  The trailer is a 2005 model and in addition to the clearance being a problem, the cord for the brakes and lights does not plug into the outlet I have.  Is it safe to just get an adapter for this or will something have to be changed on either the truck or trailer? 
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-03-03 9:00 PM (#117229 - in reply to #117213)

Expert

You can get an adapter, But just spend a hour and put the newer 7 pin RV on the trailer.  Then you'll never misplace the adapter.
rimrockranch
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2010-03-03 9:38 PM (#117230 - in reply to #117213)

Welcome to my world. I have the same problem except that I already had the trailer and bought a new truck. I've nicked the tailgate a couple of times but it was my husband who totally trashed it. Problem solved, sort of; it's much easier to hook up with no tailgate. Tall rails also mean that hooking up is a two step process because the tailgate is longer than the space between the truck bed and the bulkhead wall. Thus you have to close the tailgate before you can put the hitch over the ball. 

One thing to watch out for - make sure that the trailer that you're looking at can have the axles blocked. I found out that I couldn't block the axles on my trailer per the local trailer repair shop, AND the manufacturer. I've run this way since Sept 2008 but I'm looking for a new trailer.

Zoe
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-03-04 5:45 AM (#117234 - in reply to #117213)

Regular

Rimrock, please advise what brand trailer you have. I have started to look for a trailer w/larger LQ preferably 23-24' on the box and have a Ford Diesel Dually but would like to know what brands to stay away from especially if you can't block it & fix the problem.
rimrockranch
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2010-03-06 1:44 PM (#117284 - in reply to #117213)

Hi Zoe,

My trailer is a 1999 Cherokee Silver Cloud. I don't know if blocking isn't possible for all Cherokee trailers, but it is out of the question for my trailer.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)