'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
trailer window screens?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-04-17 10:39 PM
8 replies, 15970 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

DustFlyin
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-04-17 10:15 AM (#103513)
Subject: trailer window screens?

i bought a used 3H gooseneck last november. it has drop windows, but no bars to keep heads inside where they belong. it gets really hot here in the summer (gotta love florida), and i don't think 1/2 a windows worth of air will be enough to keep them comfortable. the trailer does have roof vents too. has anyone bought the window screens (most catalogs sell them, i have been looking at the prof. choice ones) and have any good/bad/ugly thoughts about them. how well do they attach to the trailer? do your horses try and pop/push them out at all? thanks for any input =]
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-04-17 10:39 AM (#103514 - in reply to #103513)
Subject: RE: trailer window screens?

Expert

We made the mistake of purchasing the one piece screens. My wife was able to install a heavy duty zipper in the middle, that zips from the bottom up. These are available pre installed from several manufacturers, and are the ones I would recommend.

The installation included installing some "D" rings into which straps and Velcro tabs hold things into place.

Some people object to the screens, stating that it blocks a lot of the airflow through the windows. There has been some alternative discussion, of using equestrian fly screens, to protect the horse's eyes and ears from bugs and airborne sawdust, and leaving the windows open.

Gard

IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2009-04-17 11:03 AM (#103516 - in reply to #103513)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by DustFlyin on 2009-04-17 10:15 AM

i bought a used 3H gooseneck last november. it has drop windows, but no bars to keep heads inside where they belong

Leave the bars up and use a fly mask on your horses. No way that I would go down the road with only a nylon mesh screen to hold my horse's head in the trailer in the event of a accident. JMHO.

j&j
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2009-04-17 11:37 AM (#103518 - in reply to #103513)

Veteran

Putting fly masks on the horses is easier. However our trailer has bars so they cannot stick their heads out.

j&j
DustFlyin
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-04-17 9:30 PM (#103534 - in reply to #103513)

the problem is, i don't have bars! it's a 96 sooner. it's either let them ride almost enclosed with a small window open or buy window screens to let the air come through. i just didn't know if one screen was better than the other, or if anyone had any good or bad experiences with a particluar type. thanks for the replies so far

gard: we treated/preserved our aluminum trailer floor using the instructions you had posted a while back. it turned out great!!! and i feel so much better knowing it is protected! thanks for all the useful info! =]

cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2009-04-17 9:43 PM (#103536 - in reply to #103513)

Extreme Veteran

DustFlyin,

I have window screens on mine, as it's a '94 logan gn. I have never had issues with them. I have more issues with the tourist going 100 mph up in the sierras and riding my butt acting like I can go faster down a steep grade, then they pass me on a really blind curve and a 15 mph curve to boot! Anyways,... I bought the Pro. choice, but were not very good, make sure you measure your window openings to see if the screens they sell in catalogs online will fit. I had to have mine special made due to the trailer being older and bigger windows. Here's the link below of the folks that made mine, really nice people....

http://www.ciwtrailers.com

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-04-17 9:53 PM (#103537 - in reply to #103534)

Expert

Originally written by DustFlyin on 2009-04-17 9:30 PM

gard: we treated/preserved our aluminum trailer floor using the instructions you had posted a while back. it turned out great!!! and i feel so much better knowing it is protected! thanks for all the useful info! =]

Glad it worked out for you. Hope you enjoy many more years with your trailer

Gard

hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-04-17 10:12 PM (#103538 - in reply to #103513)

Expert

Originally written by DustFlyin on 2009-04-17 10:15 AM

i bought a used 3H gooseneck last november. it has drop windows, but no bars to keep heads inside where they belong. it gets really hot here in the summer (gotta love florida), and i don't think 1/2 a windows worth of air will be enough to keep them comfortable. the trailer does have roof vents too. has anyone bought the window screens (most catalogs sell them, i have been looking at the prof. choice ones) and have any good/bad/ugly thoughts about them. how well do they attach to the trailer? do your horses try and pop/push them out at all? thanks for any input =]

Our Sundowner has large drop windows all the way around and NO bars or screens.  I had ordered the ones from Sundowner for $70 bucks each, (will not do that again).  I sent them back and bought 3 PROFESSIONAL's CHOICE screens for under $20 bucks each and they was easy to install and work GREAT!

It took me about 10 mins per window to install them.  We have 1 horse that tries to stick his nose out the edge of the screen but he can't do it.  The only thing with the Sundowner is they have larger windows (40" wide inside frame) than most trailers and we have about a 1/2" gap or so around the egde.  And for $20. buck each we bought 2 extras to incase.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-04-17 10:39 PM (#103542 - in reply to #103513)

Expert

My Logan trailer has bars on all windows,  But it also comes with a screen for each. The screen is kinda like a fitted sheet. The four corners fit over the edge of the bars.  These come from the factory with the trailer.  See photo below.

I realize you don't have bars. So to answer your question the screens letting in enough air. They seem to let plenty of air into the trailer. The Logan comes with drop down windows Head and Butt. With the same bars and screens on both side of the trailer.  In the winter I leave the window up and just open the slide vents enough.  In the summer when it's 100*, I drop all head and butt windows and leave the bars and screens closed.  If your trailer has smaller bus type butt windows, maybe the screens will not let enough air in.  If you have slats on the butt side and drops on the head, You shoyld have plent of air movement.  Also you are in Florida. You have way more humidity than I do. So even when it's 100* here, the humidity is only 7-10%. That will affect how much air movement you need.

Here you can see the windows dropped, but the bars and screens up

Edited by Painted Horse 2009-04-18 6:17 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World