'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
electric corral rodeo

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-02-13 10:25 PM
8 replies, 4352 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-02-12 12:13 AM (#99320)
Subject: electric corral rodeo

Elite Veteran

Well, I tried out my electric corral today.. It was the first day that it hasn't been windy or cold, or that I wasn't otherwise engaged... True to form, Tamber first ducked under it because I hadn't set the charger high enough.. After adjusting the charge, I put Tamber back in it and as soon as she was shocked once, she wheeled and barreled right thru the other side like a freight train, bending poles and stringing the tape along behind her.. I guess she hasn't outgrown the pseudonym "Squirrel" yet...  Anybody have any idea how to  salvage this situation?  I spent alot of time putting this corral together myself, piece by piece and I hate to give it up as a bad idea.. I just don't have the room to transport corral panels, even the collapsible kind.. even IF I had the money for such an expenditure.. I do have a high line system, but I've not yet tried it....I'm not sure how she'll do because she does have a tendency to sit back when tied at the wash rack..She does not like being tied there.. There used to be a sheet of rubber matting there and it would, of course, get slippery when it was wet... She ties OK everywhere else... Any ideas? ..Maybe a lobotomy?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2009-02-12 5:43 AM (#99325 - in reply to #99320)
Subject: RE: electric corral rodeo

Veteran

I would try the electric corral some more. Now that your horse knows that touching the tape means getting shocked, perhaps he won't touch it again.  It was probably such a "shock" getting shocked by something new that he didn't understand that caused him to run through the other side.  Usually horses will respect electric fencing tape once they know what it means. He was just testing his boundaries.  I'm sure it cost a lot of money.  If it were me I'd try it again.  Maybe tie some little flags on the strand.

Amanda

mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2009-02-12 7:57 AM (#99337 - in reply to #99320)

Elite Veteran

I had one do the same thing. After i fixed the fence, I hand walked him around the fence line to show him it's there. I even lead him up to the fence to see if he would touch it but didn't. After that he was good I didn't even have to turn the fence on after a few months. He would get 3ft away from it and that was it.. High line would probably work also ...I guess I'm lucky with mine they take everything in stride....
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-02-12 10:10 AM (#99351 - in reply to #99320)

Expert

Try setting the electric corral up inside your paddock. With the horse on the outside. Let the horse investigate the electric corral from the outside. If she gets shocked and turns and runs, she will not run through the fence. after she learns what the wire is. There will be more of a Shock In Place, vs run away.
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-02-12 10:37 AM (#99353 - in reply to #99320)

Elite Veteran

I had thought of that.. She started blowing the minute she even saw the corral set up.. before I put her inside.. I had thought that the next time I tried it I'd use 1 1/2 inch wide tape.. the first tape was @ 1/2 inch.. some that was given me... I was planning on getting wider anyway.. She didn't have any trouble SEEING the tape.. she just freaked when it bit her.  Also, I'd make the corral bigger.  The first one was maybe 15X15.. I didn't want her to have too much room to work up a head of steam if she started running... fat lot of good it did me!
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-02-12 12:00 PM (#99364 - in reply to #99353)

Expert

Originally written by ridingarocky on 2009-02-12 7:37 AM

I had thought of that.. She started blowing the minute she even saw the corral set up.. before I put her inside.. I had thought that the next time I tried it I'd use 1 1/2 inch wide tape.. the first tape was @ 1/2 inch.. some that was given me... I was planning on getting wider anyway.. She didn't have any trouble SEEING the tape.. she just freaked when it bit her.  Also, I'd make the corral bigger.  The first one was maybe 15X15.. I didn't want her to have too much room to work up a head of steam if she started running... fat lot of good it did me!

I think a much much bigger area would be better.  15x 15 isn't enough area for a "shocked" horse to get away and think about what just happened.  The first 20 yards after contact is just panic flight.   After figuring the fence bites, the horse will avoid it.  THEN you can shrink the area.  Remember their reaction to an electric fence in the pasture... Ow!!!  Run  !!!

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-02-12 5:19 PM (#99393 - in reply to #99320)

Elite Veteran

Is she by herself most of the time? If she is use to a pasture mate being with her, I'd set-up a large pen inside a paddock area and put her buddy in with her. She maybe nervous being away from the herd by herself. Good idea to make sure she stays in the pen at home under the same conditions as when you have her on the trail. I'd also start feeding her in the pen to make it a "Happy" place.
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-02-13 10:39 AM (#99426 - in reply to #99320)

Elite Veteran

Actually, she's in with a pasture of about 30 horses... I'm going to try it again, but I'll wait until I get the wider tape and I'll make it a lot bigger, put hay in there..try feeding her in it.. if she'll eat.. When she gets stressed she usually won't eat treats... so much for using food as a pacifier..LOL!       Plus, I'll probably keep her on the lead rope until she calms down
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-02-13 10:25 PM (#99441 - in reply to #99320)

Expert

I have run a hot wire (rope) across the corral, dividing it say, by 1/3 and 2/3 remaining, or across just a corner of a paddock.  I have put the horse in the larger part, and let it just walk over on its own to investigate.  I  have also put up the electric fence , not having it hot, and led one around the perimeter, walking myself into the (not hot) wire and jumping back hugely.  After about 4 of those, the horse was very wary of the fence.  Went back out, made the fence hot, and turned the horse loose....who was very careful not to get close to the wire.    Your horse will learn, don't give up yet!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)