'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Ocmulgee River Trail

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-10-23 1:54 PM
8 replies, 5765 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

lpeavy
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-10-12 7:43 PM (#92955)
Subject: Ocmulgee River Trail

Has anyone been to the ocmulgee River trail around Macon and Forsyth in Georgia? Going this weekend and just wanted to know what to expect.  Happy trails!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-10-13 9:18 AM (#92966 - in reply to #92955)
Subject: RE: Ocmulgee River Trail

Extreme Veteran

Where will you be parking?  There is a trail head off of Forestry Road 1099 and parking on Smithmill/Smithville (can't remember exact name) Road called the Ocmulgee Bluff.  With gun season opening this weekend, I would avoid the 1099 parking because that is where the hunters camp. Smithmill road is rather rough in spots but is usable...the last time I went in on Smithmill I used my 4 wheel drive to get up one particularly slick red mud hill.  Probably could have made it up without it but I did not want to chance it. The trails are scenic and you can ride beside the river for quite a ways.  I have been riding there for several years.  When I first started going there, I would try to stay as close to the River as I could so I would not get lost.  There are many many trails and it is easy to get turned around.  The trails are easy to follow but are not marked with any kind of indicaters.  The trails have some fairly steep hills (for middle georgia) which can be quite slick if the area has had much rain. There is a spot on the river where most people stop and lunch that has a nice wide sandy beach (if the river is not up too high).  It is nice.  I will try a post a photo.  Have a great ride!!

Edited by lesliemal 2008-10-13 8:08 PM
lpeavy
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-10-13 10:50 AM (#92974 - in reply to #92955)

Great pctures!  I'm not sure where we are parking. Our trail riding group is following another couple that have been there several times.  The only thing is, they haven't found where you can actually get to the river.  The've been able to ride beside it but haven't found the area you found. 
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-10-13 2:36 PM (#92992 - in reply to #92955)

Extreme Veteran

If you go in from Ocmulgee Bluff, you would ride an old road from bottom of the parking lot and when you get down to where you can see the river, go right.  Try to stay to the left whenever you can on the trail until you come to what looks like a dry river bed ...it is deep deep sand...go to the right and the "swimming hole" is at the end of the river bed.  It seems illogical to go to the right when you first come to the dry river bed because the actual river will be on your left, but the swimming hole is to the right. 

If you go in at 1099, you have to ride for about 2 hours to get to the "swimming hole".  If you go in at Ocmulgee Bluff it is about a 20 to 30 minute ride to the swimming hole. There are so many trails that you can ride for days and days.  There are usually always riders on the weekend and if you ask most can point you in the direction of the swimming hole.  Have Fun!!

Edited by lesliemal 2008-10-13 8:09 PM
Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-10-13 7:23 PM (#93006 - in reply to #92955)

Extreme Veteran

It scares the stuffing out of me to be in the woods during hunting season, especially with a horse.  Too much booze and too many high powered rifles.  I was shot off my horse several years ago when a drunk hunter mistook my white jacket for the rump of a deer.  Fortunately for me, the bullet missed my hide by a fraction of an inch, striking the frame of my backpack.  These days I leave the hunters to themselves and ride elsewhere during hunting season.

Marla

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-10-13 9:32 PM (#93018 - in reply to #92955)

Elite Veteran

WOW!
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-10-18 5:49 PM (#93222 - in reply to #92955)

Extreme Veteran

Hey Lpeavy,
Did ya'll make it to the river? How was it? Did ya find the "swimming hole"? I rode at Hard Labor Creek today and it was fairly muddy/slick in spots.

lpeavy
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-10-20 10:24 AM (#93270 - in reply to #92955)

We did ride but didn't get to go as far as we wanted.  We came to a reall steep spot that went down and back up.  One horse went through and she almost fell so we decided to turn around.  We took another trail and rode that one.  It came back out on the main hwy so we got there and turned back around.  We did ride by the river for a ways and had a blast.  We are gonna go back again, but not after a big rain! We rode by the river and it's beautiful.  Wonderful place to ride and can't wait to go back!

I love Hard Labor Creek!  They have some gorgeous trails.

pnalley
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-10-23 1:54 PM (#93484 - in reply to #92955)

New User

After a rain it is VERY slick & muddy, but ususally the further you get from the 1099 entrance the better it gets. So far we have stuck to riding by the river so we don't get lost.

We love riding at 1099, but you better be ready to ride when you get there.

We saw a HUGE cat out there once, bigger then a bobcat.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)