'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
LQ gas water heater explosion. WHAT the?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-09-09 12:13 PM
8 replies, 5532 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

OAKRUNFARM
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-09-09 6:55 AM (#91167)
Subject: LQ gas water heater explosion. WHAT the?

I have to admit I am very embarrassed to even post this on here, but in the interest of personal safety, I am going to swallow my pride and do it anyway. Last year, we bought a new Sundowner LQ trailer. The one we had was a Sundowner also, so we thought we could operate all of the gizmos with no problem. Not so.We have have not been using the trailer much, and it has been sitting most of the time for long stretches of a few months or more.Earlier this year, we were at a show and had turned on the hot water heater. A little while later, we both heard a loud BANG!!! but could not figure out what it was. About 10 minutes later, my husband was outside the trailer getting feed out of the rear, when he saw BLUE FLAMES burst out of the side of the trailer in the vicinity of the water heater. I was inside and heard the loud bang again.He came running and told me what he had seen, and we turned off the water heater. We got out the owner's manual and ran through all of the steps of the water heater, and could not figure out what the problem could be.Later on, we tried again and were able to use it with no problem, but I don't want to use it at all until we have had it looked at or know what the problem is. We are getting ready to go to a long show circuit, and I would like to be able to bathe at some point in time! :) Can someone tell me what we might have done wrong so we can avoid blowing us all up (which would NOT be good)?(There is a Sundowner dealer close by where we will be going this weekend, so I am going to make arrangements for it to be looked at, I was just wondering if anyone might have an idea what the problem is?)
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-09-09 8:21 AM (#91170 - in reply to #91167)
Subject: RE: LQ gas water heater explosion. WHAT the?

Expert

It sounds as is the gas supply valve is opening and igniting, but the gas being distributed to the burner is not igniting properly. Instead it is accumulating and igniting as a mass. The burner orifices could be plugged by dirt or bugs. Do not attempt to use the heater until the problem is resolved by a proper machanic. Any RV dealer can trouble shoot your heater, it doesn't have to be a SD dealer unless this is a warranty item.

I can't stress this point enough, do not use the heater until it is properly serviced.

Gard

OAKRUNFARM
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-09-09 8:27 AM (#91171 - in reply to #91167)

Thanks Gard. I've told my husband we are NOT going to use it again until is has been looked at and properly serviced. I would rather take a cold shower than worry about having a safety issue. Your explanation makes sense because the trailer had sat for quite awhile on the lot prior to our buying it, and for quite awhile between uses once we got it. I also opened the exterior door yesterday and took a look in there, and there was quite a bit of dust and some cobwebs, etc.I wonder if it is feasible to replace it with an electric unit? Gas makes me nervous...
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-09-09 9:04 AM (#91175 - in reply to #91167)

Expert

The gas heaters are usually very reliable, as evidenced by the many units in service with no problems. Any appliance needs some maintenance occasionally, especially when it is stored outdoors and is used irregularly. I think all that is necessary for your heater to work properly, is for things to be cleaned up and inspected.

An electric heater is an option, but will have some down sides. You will have to have to use a shore power source for heat, and it will take longer to heat unless you purchase the "instant" type which needs more electricity. It will also probably cost more to replace your heater than it will to correct the gas problem.

While your trailer is at a dealers, it might be a good time for the mechanic to inspect the opperation of all your appliances. Then you will know all is well, instead of wondering what may misfunction next.

Gard

Edited by gard 2008-09-09 9:09 AM
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-09-09 11:27 AM (#91177 - in reply to #91171)

Expert

Don't be embarassed even tho I know how you feel! See my thread on "What happened here?" recently.Had almost the same thing happen this weekend,only,we didn't hear a "bang",I smelled gas when I got out of the shower,and,when my husband went around to unhook everything,there was this big soot deposit coming out of the trailer water heater vent,and going up the side of the trailer!!!

We scrubbed our brains out (what little we have) Labor Day cleaning and spit polishing the thing up,and didn't even take a look inside the burner box.Talk about a couple of Dumb A**,!

OAKRUNFARM
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-09-09 11:39 AM (#91178 - in reply to #91177)

Gard, I think having everything checked out is an excellent idea. It has been sitting a lot and has been pulled so little that it is almost like new. girl, you made me feel better! I pride myself on being pretty savvy as far as mechanical stuff goes, but GEE WHIZ! You don't expect to see FLAMES or SOOT coming out of the side of your trailer when all you did was push a button to "on"! Off to read your thread now. Thanks for letting me know we are not the only ones!
Paints
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2008-09-09 11:51 AM (#91180 - in reply to #91167)

Veteran

Oh sorry to hear your mishaps OAKRUNFARM.Our trailer had sat idol from June till August and first thing I checked out was cobwebs or dust etc in door to ignator.As never know what could crawl or be in there.I'm proud ya posted the info an just reminds/informs some people or new owners also to check out trailers properly before using all extras.Take care and glad your ok.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-09-09 12:03 PM (#91183 - in reply to #91167)

Expert

Sound like you got rust, spiders and dirt-dobbers in there!!
OAKRUNFARM
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-09-09 12:13 PM (#91185 - in reply to #91183)

Yeah, who knows what all was making itself at home in there, but whatever it was got a one-way propane fueled ticket to Kingdom Come.

Edited by OAKRUNFARM 2008-09-09 2:36 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)