'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
What are "chips"? Can anything be done to improve power or mpg in gas half-tonners?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-06-26 9:24 PM
8 replies, 3853 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Sharon
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-06-26 1:43 PM (#86422)
Subject: What are "chips"? Can anything be done to improve power or mpg in gas half-tonners?

Veteran

OK, so I like detailed subject lines. 

I've heard people talk about having this or that chip in their diesel engine.  Not sure what they do.  Can anything be done to a gas 1/2-ton truck to improve the fuel efficiency and/or power output?  I'm doing fine, but it's always nice if you can do better. 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-06-26 3:24 PM (#86426 - in reply to #86422)
Subject: RE: What are "chips"? Can anything be done to improve power or mpg in gas half-tonners?

Expert

Place a freshly layed hen egg between the accelerator and your foot!! That will help with the mileage issue. Not much in the way of a chip or programmer to enhance the fuel mileage and or performance of a gasser. You can go for different differential gears, but what you would gain in mileage you would loose in performance (pulling power). Again, you got, what you got.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-06-26 4:26 PM (#86431 - in reply to #86422)
Subject: RE: What are "chips"? Can anything be done to improve power or mpg in gas half-tonners?

Expert

Diesel and gas engines can benefit in mileage and power from the reprogramming of the main computer that controls each of the engines many functions. Diesels are easily upgraded and enhanced, while gas engines are much less so. It's very easy to again substantial  hp and torque improvements on the diesels, while improving the mileage as well.

I have an adjustable chip that allows me to literally dial in the additional hp and torque I want. I run it at its lowest setting which is recommended for trailer towing. When I do so, the hills that were originally traveled in 3rd gear are now done in OD, with no downshifting. I have a 4 speed auto trans. My mileage towing between #10K -#12K is the same as when I run empty without the chip.

The chip controls the engine's main computer which also controls the transmission. My chip also changes the shift points and the torque converter lock up, which reduces slippage and enhances its durability under a load.

Generally, a chip should not be installed unless the optional gauges are installed. Indiscriminate use of the chip's higher settings can over boost and over temp the engine if it is not monitored. In the lowest setting which I use, this has not occurred. The gauges should include a transmission oil temperature, a pyrometer which measures the exhaust temperatures and a boost gauge which monitors the output of the supercharger.

I am very satisfied with our installation, and have had no negative issues. When it is switched on, the change in power is immediate and easily noticeable. To be able to pull a heavy load with no fuel increase from stock is a bonus.

Gas engines do not respond as noticeably with power or mileage increases as diesels with the addition of a chip. Instead of major torque and horse power boosts, you may find improvements of only one or two dozen hp with the gas. The payback on gas engines is minimal and may not be worth the extra expense depending on your driving.

Most gas engines will benefit from better breathing. This would include changing the inlet system to a less restrictive air cleaner and filter box. The exhaust system can also me modified from the converter back to reduce back pressure.

These modifications will only net a small increase in torque. Both of these modifications are expensive, and it's dubious that you would have a short payback period.

Diesel owners have an advantage over the gassers in the hop up department.

Gard

Edited by gard 2008-06-26 4:45 PM
Sharon
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-06-26 4:40 PM (#86433 - in reply to #86422)

Veteran

Thanks guys.  So how about fuel efficiency, what should I know?  Are upgraded spark plugs worth it?  Can anything else can be done?
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-06-26 5:07 PM (#86438 - in reply to #86422)

Expert

Everytime there has been a gas crisis...the charlatans come out from under the rocks and try to sell questionable economical improvements for engines...

Bicycle

Any short trip take this instead...

Edited by PaulChristenson 2008-06-26 5:13 PM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-06-26 5:18 PM (#86440 - in reply to #86438)

Expert

Originally written by PaulChristenson on 2008-06-26 6:07 PM

Everytime there has been a gas crisis...the charlatans come out from under the rocks and try to sell questionable economical improvements for engines...

Questionable?  no       Proven?  yes

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-06-26 5:57 PM (#86444 - in reply to #86422)

Expert

My response was primarily to the anything that can improve mpg in a gasser...

QUESTIONABLE...

These are what I'm seeing asked about on other forums...

http://www.drivewithwaterfuel.com/?hop=jethro3737

http://www.carwaterkit.com/?gclid=CJLl78DNjpQCFQZinAodjBA5gg

http://hh0gas.com/water4gas.htm?gclid=CLHD3ejOjpQCFQ0MIgodUlUchA

Edited by PaulChristenson 2008-06-26 5:59 PM
NoSpin
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-06-26 6:49 PM (#86446 - in reply to #86422)

I have owned a shop for 30 years and sold tons of programmers. i Have them in all of my personal vehicles because I sell them but as mentioned above they dont help a gas burner as much because there is no adjustable boost and fuel curve settings on a gas engine. My daily driver is a 2500 yukon xl with a 6.0 Hypertech programmer helped it about 1 mpg and a little hp. Changed the shift points to earlier because I dont tow much with it. Got a Cummins with a Superchips programmer and all the goodies and gets 16.5 pulling a 2h 4star GN with a 5ft short wall. I havent read other threads on other sites but the following should help about 3-4 mpg on average.

Inflate tires to about 40 on a half ton.

Largest exhaust you can afford.

Intake charge has to be low restriction like a K and N but you have to do some fabrication on cold air kits to make sure that almost NO underhood air is consumed because its just too warm for proper performance. You can get a shop with a scanner to observe your intake air temp sensor before and after modifications.

Then the programmer last.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-06-26 9:24 PM (#86463 - in reply to #86422)

Expert

I would be careful about installing the K&N air filters on gas engines, especially Fords. The oil used to help the filtration will work its way onto the air flow sensor and damage it. A replacement is quite expensive. I don't know if this problem occurs on other brands, but I am familiar with the Ford problems. The owners of the affected Fords switched their filters to a dry paper type with good results.

Gard

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)