'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
violent filly

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-03-30 6:03 AM
8 replies, 4049 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

trinabug
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-03-27 12:28 PM (#80444)
Subject: violent filly

ok men here you go...I delivered this filly and raised her myself, halter classed her and did very well...she is very willing gentle but spirited and never a min. trouble, now the problem , she is extremely agressive towards men, she will kick when you aproach her in the stall, paw at you while in crossties, run you through the fence when in the pasture, and peel back her lips and bite aggressively at any moment, but only toward men, she has never been mistreated in anyway by a man , because she was only handled by me, yes I now know that was a mistake, she has been ground worked ( Clinton Anderson style)..and is very smart and caught on quickly...she has never shown me any disrespect or agression, clips, loads , lunges , picks up her feet, bathes...no trouble...will park out on cue and won't move til told...sent her to a trainer to have her broke when she was about 22 months, when we unloaded her she immediatly tried to pull away from him and was very disrespectful, I thought after time she would settle but it only got worse he did ride her but could not handle her aggresive nature so now I have her back, we delivered her sat to another barn and the agressive behavior started as soon as I handed her over..I don't want this to prevent her from finding a good home...
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
tank
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2008-03-27 1:07 PM (#80447 - in reply to #80444)
Subject: RE: violent filly

Interesting. I have heard of horses favoring either male or female over the other but not to that extent. You say you started her Clinton Andersons methods? I have used them myself even on my draft horses and have done well. Have you considerd sending to Clinton? I looked into it at one point and it is suprisingly affordable. He has his apprentices do the training and he oversees it in most cases, but it may be good if he would do it himself. If anybody could get her out of that he could.
trinabug
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-03-27 3:20 PM (#80460 - in reply to #80444)

thanks for the reply Tank...have not considered sending her....though she is registered she is just a grade filly....she is not quite 3 so I was hoping to correct this before she gets much older....I have been told that until she bonds /or learns respect for a man she will keep up this attitude, but that is hard to do without spending a ton of money on trainers... the horse market is sooo low here right now and I am a single mom so I just can't afford to spend 1200.00 on a 500.00 dollar horse..she is out of a good blood line , I own her father and half brother, fact is if she was a gelding and a lil bigger I would just keep her...but I am kind of stuck..so the man that has her right now thinks he can handle her and says if he can change her attitude he will keep her...so far she has won all the battles
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-03-27 6:48 PM (#80469 - in reply to #80444)

Elite Veteran

though she is registered she is just a grade filly???
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-03-27 10:19 PM (#80483 - in reply to #80444)

trinabug....the filly is with a man now?  Maybe if he will simply feed her and ignore her, she might become interested in a relationship with him?  I highly recommend Mark Rashid's books and website  markrashid.com  about changing horse behavior without confrontation.  best wishes to you and the filly.
trinabug
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-03-28 10:46 AM (#80511 - in reply to #80483)

this is what I suggested to the gentleman that has her, he has no other horses at the moment so it would be a good oppertunity to have her want to socialize with him...my suggestion was just to feed her without much interaction...my hope is that she will form a little bond with him and come to depend on him for food and companionship...I don't know wether or not he will take my advice..
trinabug
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-03-28 10:52 AM (#80515 - in reply to #80469)

in this area she is considered grade because she does't have what it takes to be a padded walker, she is what they would cull . she is a beautiful sorrell with a flaxen main and tail and a white star, she has a wonderful gait and I believe she would do well in a pleasure class or flat shod class, and would deffinetly make a great trail horse..but more than anything her problem with men has cost her a few chances at a good home
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-03-29 2:18 PM (#80597 - in reply to #80515)

Expert

Has she interacted with men at your place?  She may be insecure away from home and is being defensive. 

My husbands mare acts this way when we are away from home.   At home she will love on anyone, away from home only "family" can come near her without her getting upset.

Edited by Terri 2008-03-29 4:59 PM
osue077
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-03-30 6:03 AM (#80652 - in reply to #80444)

I have a customer that I shoe his horses and one of his mares is EXTREMELY aggressive towards me (farriers only) and I've never laid a hand on her. I've been bitten, kicked and pawed by her, never returned even a cuss word at her and she still hate my guts. I introduce myself to her everytime, I am very easy with her feet, touching her everywhere and holding her very low and underneath for probably 3 years. I guess some horses are just that way. She's an angle with his grand kids, go figure.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)