'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
LQ Floors...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-10-10 11:26 AM
8 replies, 4292 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2007-10-05 7:57 PM (#68885)
Subject: LQ Floors...

Veteran

Can anyone tell me how LQ floors are REALLY done, from the factory?

I've read here about folks putting down foam insulation, then plywood, then their choice of floor material and was just wondering is this really how the professional LQ installers do it?

Thanks,

Mike

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
barrelsnpcs
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-10-05 8:48 PM (#68887 - in reply to #68885)
Subject: RE: LQ Floors...

Veteran

I'd like to know too.
dustys
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-10-06 11:28 AM (#68899 - in reply to #68885)

Floors are kind of a lengthy process but to sum in up the way we do it in our shop is installing furring strips on the floor by drilling a hole and screwing them right down onto the trailer floor. Insulating in between the furring strips,screwing 5/8" OSB over that and than some form of an underlayment. I have 2 guys that work for me that came from a major trailer manufacturer that installs their own living quarters and they did it the same way we do. there are a lot of "tricks" when installing a living quarter. When looking to the future as far as resale value goes it is always best to go to an experienced company to have your living quarters installed. www.csconversions.com
sharonbc
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-10-06 3:39 PM (#68900 - in reply to #68885)

New User

True, your best bet would be to take your trailer and have living quarters installed. Frankly, though, a large number of people simply can't afford that! Otherwise, they would have bought a trailer with quarters already installed. We resemble that comment, actually. My hubby is a handy sort of fellow, and is perfectly capable of wiring, plumbing, and carpentry. The carpentry might not be the fanciest, but it does the job. Finding the *time* on the other hand, that is the Real Trick!
sskinner
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-10-06 3:54 PM (#68902 - in reply to #68885)

Regular

I have to agree with dustys...(and I'm not knocking DIYers 'cause we fit in that catagory ourselves)(and lord knows we couldn't afford a LQ trailer but after 2 years of careful shopping we found the ONE) but when we were shopping for our trailer we automatically passed over the homemade jobs. Not that they weren't nice or anything but you just never know what's hiding in the walls or under the floors. If you are just insulating a dressing room or NEVER planning on selling your trailer DIY is just fine. But I feel a lot more comfortable buying something that is RIVA certified.

Edited by sskinner 2007-10-06 3:57 PM
barrelsnpcs
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-10-06 4:02 PM (#68903 - in reply to #68899)

Veteran

Originally written by dustys on 2007-10-06 11:28 AM

Floors are kind of a lengthy process but to sum in up the way we do it in our shop is installing furring strips on the floor by drilling a hole and screwing them right down onto the trailer floor. Insulating in between the furring strips,screwing 5/8" OSB over that and than some form of an underlayment. I have 2 guys that work for me that came from a major trailer manufacturer that installs their own living quarters and they did it the same way we do. there are a lot of "tricks" when installing a living quarter. When looking to the future as far as resale value goes it is always best to go to an experienced company to have your living quarters installed. www.csconversions.com

Thank you very much for your reply. I looked at your website. I love your cabinets Nice woodwork! I really like the hickory.

Thanks again.
racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2007-10-09 8:21 PM (#69105 - in reply to #68885)

Veteran

Thank you for this information...  If I could afford to have LQ done professionally, I'd have done it by now.

Wife in college, 3 kids (1 whose dad doesn't pay child support), one income, one truck payment...  You get the idea...

I don't plan on selling the trailer, ever, so not concerned about resale.  Think I can build a safe trailer for my needs... no gas needed.

:-)

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-10-10 5:12 AM (#69119 - in reply to #68902)

Expert

Originally written by sskinner on 2007-10-06 3:54 PM

I have to agree with dustys...(and I'm not knocking DIYers 'cause we fit in that catagory ourselves)(and lord knows we couldn't afford a LQ trailer but after 2 years of careful shopping we found the ONE) but when we were shopping for our trailer we automatically passed over the homemade jobs. Not that they weren't nice or anything but you just never know what's hiding in the walls or under the floors. If you are just insulating a dressing room or NEVER planning on selling your trailer DIY is just fine. But I feel a lot more comfortable buying something that is RIVA certified.

Just your opinion, The niceset trailers I have seen have been done by craftsmen, not LQ companys. I have not had any problem selling any of mine. I have not had a trailer that I built, set for sale longer than 30 days. No RIVA, just well built trailers.

mrbotat
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-10-10 11:26 AM (#69136 - in reply to #68885)

I would say if you are going to install living quarters yourself just use professional grade materials.  I had a sweet little 2 horse slant Sundowner with a fairly good size dressing room that my husband put living quarters into.  In the end I had an insulated trailer, full 6 cu. frig, oak cabinets (from Lowes), sink & stove.  You can find places that sell parts for trailers etc., to purchase some of the materials from.  Cabinets & counter top - don't go cheap.  Installed walk thru door w/cowboy shower.  It was a great little trailer.  Then I upgraded to a 3 horse w/8ft. living quarters - absolutely love this trailer.  Oh...Sundowner as well  Good luck
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)