'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
dealer or no dealer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-08-31 4:16 PM
8 replies, 3661 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mike and darcy
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-28 12:12 PM (#66636)
Subject: dealer or no dealer

Regular

Kind of the same as do you list or buy from a real estate firm when you sell your house. They do provide services but expect a hefty price tag for them.

In Georgia where we are from when you buy a used titled item such as car, truck, trailer, motorcycle from a person you pay NO sales tax, however if you buy a used item from a dealer you do pay sales tax. This one factor makes buying from a dealer a 7% downfall to start with if you are from Georgia or any of the othr states that do not double tax you on used vehicals. 7% x 15,000 = $1,050.

Dealers have to make a profit to stay in business, every good out there has a fair market value, and what it is worth to someone who has to have it. The dealer has 2 ways to make his profit, either in the buy or the sell. If he makes his money in the buy he has to pay less than the fair market value for it, if he makes his profit in the sell then he has to sell it for more than fair market value.

How does one sell something for more than it is worth? Either the buyer is not an informed shopper, either the buyer has an impulse and has to have the item at any cost, or the dealer provides the best marketed service that he has to offer, **The use of someone elses money** YES, Credit.

The best way to sell something for more than it is actually worth is to fix it so that the buyer can pay for it over time within what they think is their monthly budget. As Americans, we have become a country that honestly does not look at the bottom line any longer, just the monthly outflow.

Any services that a dealer provides have cost built into them, if they did not he could not stay in business, my opinion is if you need credit and do not have a credit line at your local bank or have to have it today, buy from a dealer, if you have cash in hand, look around for a good trailer from an owner.

Every day there are good quality trailers that are going up for sale for legit reasons; getting out of hourses, divorce, education funding, downsizing, upsizing. If these trailers do not sell on the open market they will end up on some dealers lot bought well under market value.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-08-28 2:43 PM (#66650 - in reply to #66636)
Subject: RE: dealer or no dealer

Extreme Veteran

I'd say it depends the most on who has the trailer you want the most.
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2007-08-28 2:55 PM (#66651 - in reply to #66636)

Elite Veteran

Mike & Darcy,
I won't begin to get into economics of supply & demand setting price nor wholesale and retail values, I don't type that well. But some of the most overpriced trailer deals I've seen were private party sales.

But with all due respect- you are not entirely accurate on the sales tax point. Yes, what you said is true. But what you didn't say is that when a private party goes to process for title, taxes will be collected then. So it is like the old Fram commercial-"Pay it now, or later". But the end result is the same.
H1
mike and darcy
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-28 4:20 PM (#66658 - in reply to #66636)

Regular

Horsey 1>>> 

In Georgia ( I can not speak for other states) you do not pay sales tax when you buy a titled vehicle from a private party. Not when you pay for it nor when you process the title. The last one that I did was last week. There was a time about 20 years ago that our state tried to do this and someone took the state of Georgia to court and won. During that time I had bought a car and was charged sales tax. After the court case I received a refund check in the mail.

May I ask what state you are in?

On the issue of expensive private treaty sales, Yes there are owners who value their junk for more than it is worth. Same rule of thumb applies, If someone wants it bad enough to pay for it and they have the cash or credit, let them have it.

I was mearly pointing out that one of the services that a dealer sells (credit) is charged to cash buyers as well. If a dealer can sell trailer x for 10,000 on credit then why would he sell it for $8,000 cash?  It's the same thing in the used car business.

I personaly sell land in 1-5 acre tracts and owner finance them. I sell them for roughly double what cash sales are but I won't give a discount for cash because I can sell every peice that I get my hands on, on credit.

It is a fact of life, this country is addicted to credit and we are teaching our children to start out and live their lives in debt.  This is just the cold hard facts.

Respectfully:

Mike

Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-08-29 6:51 AM (#66693 - in reply to #66636)

Extreme Veteran

What else can our children expect when the political factions tend to operate on deficit budgets?  The federal deficit in just a few years has gone from a surplus to trillions of dollars in debt. And no sign on the near horizon for ANY improvements. Yeah, that sends a clear signal to the American people about credit being in the best interest for everyone.    Heat shield in place with epoxy repair kit and fire extinguisher in hand!
mike and darcy
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-29 7:30 AM (#66696 - in reply to #66636)

Regular

Longrider, No flame from me, You also don't have to hit me over the head to tell me that our goverment spends too much money and what is spent is not done wisely.

While I can not as a single person, control goverment spending, I can and choose to spend my dollars wisely.

In the last 3 years I have managed to buy 2 - 100% alum. trailers both less than 3 years old at the time of purchase for $8,000 each. Both goosenecks, one a 3 horse featherlight and one a 4 horse Exiss.

The original intent of the thread was just to say, if you buy from a dealer you are paying an extra charge for his access to all the lending intitutaions that will give a 100% loan to anyone.

I'm 47 next month and I have in my life owned 1 brand new vehical.

A 1980 model motorcycle that I bought while Jimmy Carter ws in office and the intrest rate on that loan was 21 1/2 %.  I guess I learned my lesson well the first time around.

I now choose to buy very clean late model vechicals that someone else has taken the big hit on by driving them off the lot new.

In conclusion, if you want a great deal on a nice horse trailer just be patient and keep you eyes and ears open, at the same time be saving for it and when it comes along you may can buy it without getting one of thoes coupon books in the mail. I have done it, you can too.

MIke

Paints
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-08-29 7:52 AM (#66698 - in reply to #66636)

Veteran

Sorry had to add in on this too

Most people carry a car loan/note for their intire lives,paying $378 a month.That same money invested from age 25 to retirement would.on average,amount to $4 MILION by age 65.

Seen this an thought would share.We personaly will never buy New lqs again since price so inflated and so many quality Used and so much cheaper to do any repairs on them.

RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-08-30 10:06 AM (#66832 - in reply to #66636)

Elite Veteran

On the tax issue, actually neither of you look to be entirely correct. According to the county clerk's office this morning, if a trailer in Ga. that was properly titled changes hands between individuals, it is a "casual sale" and is not taxed. Trailers brought in from out of state are taxed at the normal rates no matter from whom it comes from. Truly it does appear to be a unique situation. I've not seen anything like it before. RTSmith
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-08-31 4:16 PM (#66941 - in reply to #66698)

Expert

Originally written by Paints on 2007-08-29 8:52 AM

Sorry had to add in on this too

Most people carry a car loan/note for their intire lives,paying $378 a month.That same money invested from age 25 to retirement would.on average,amount to $4 MILION by age 65.

Unless they invested in  ENRON...WorldCom...and several real estate trusts...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)