'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Horse jumping chest bar

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-07-17 11:05 AM
8 replies, 12653 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

kczarick
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2007-07-16 8:41 AM (#63946)
Subject: Horse jumping chest bar

Got a two-horse straight-load and a young horse that ships like a dream when he's with a buddy.  Two times I've attempted to trailer him alone, he has jumped the chest bar.  Very scary.  He's fine and so is my trailer, thank goodness.  Suggestions?

Karen in Georgia

Edited by kczarick 2007-07-16 8:42 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-07-16 9:17 AM (#63951 - in reply to #63946)
Subject: RE: Horse jumping chest bar

Expert

I would give the young guy a few lessons in patience, I take them out the field and tie them usually on the other side of the barn where they can't see any of the other horses(buddies), I actually have a post just for this reason with a metal plate at there feet so they don't paw. I usually start out by leaving them tied an hour or so(they do get mad, I don't care), working up to 3-4 hours. After that you will be able to take him anywhere, anytime with no worries.
Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-07-16 9:41 AM (#63953 - in reply to #63946)

Extreme Veteran

We had a mare once that several times went over the breast bar.  We simply took the breast bar out after the second time, and she was just fine on many subsequent trips.  Now we routinely take the breast bar out when hauling young or inexperienced horses.  Just one less thing to get themselves in trouble with.
rider3
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2007-07-16 10:20 AM (#63954 - in reply to #63946)

Veteran

I'm sorry but both of these suggestions sound a little scary for a young horse- the floor under the nose area of some straightloads isn't as sturdy as the rest, not to mention the fact that these trailers usually aren't designed for a horse to slam into the front of them, hence the breast bar. 

Do you open the front escape door?  If so, don't so he doesn't see an escape route.  He needs to learn to be tied, agreed, but perhaps in a more non-resistant manner such as how Clinton Anderson teaches them- see his site.  The suggested technique to tie to a post and walk away may work on some horses, but others may seriously injure themselves or put so much fear in them they will never learn to tie.  Not to mention vet bills!  Perhaps setting up the scenario with a helper at his head, safely in the other stall to 'teach him to wait'?  Practice, Practice, Practice BEFORE taking him out solo.  Good Luck! 

barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-07-16 11:08 AM (#63959 - in reply to #63946)

Veteran

Is there a window in the front that he can see out of? Perhaps blocking that will make it appear smaller, or less "escapable." Does he get hung up on the chest bar? Can you move the chest bar into a higher position or add another one so that he doesn't feel like he can jump it? Visual barriers may be effective.

Edited by barstow 2007-07-16 11:10 AM
kczarick
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2007-07-16 4:11 PM (#63988 - in reply to #63946)

kczarick
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2007-07-16 4:16 PM (#63989 - in reply to #63946)

Thanks for all the suggestions.  The trailer escape doors are for "human use" only.  They are not meant to withstand a horse leaning, pushing, or kicking one, so I can't remove the chest bars.  This horse is not a "separation anxiety" type.  I've had some of those...this horse is in all other places very confident, independent, and reasonable.  A friend has offered the use of his slant load -- I can remove the dividers and let him travel loose alone a few times -- I hope he'll make the "transfer" back to my trailer okay.  I really think it's just lack of experience trailering, but that the other horse with him calms him enough for him not to worry.  Just a scary thing to happen -- you feel so helpless.
Maximizer
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-07-16 9:57 PM (#64000 - in reply to #63946)

Sounds to me like your horse needs some schooling..  I have 2 young colts that will haul by themselves or with others..  Just have to work with them in the trailer by themselves and get them comfortable in there..  When you do this, no other horses need to be around..   He wants out to be with the other horses.. 
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-07-17 11:05 AM (#64016 - in reply to #63946)

Expert

A friend had that happening with a young horse.
She had a 2x4 (2x6?) installed about 20" above the chest bar - her horse was a young arab - maybe 15 hands, might have been a little shorter. So install your "head bar" where you need for the height of your horse.

Thankfully, you are able to unlatch your chest bar with the horse on it. I've read of many situations where the horse was so hung up that drastic measures had to be taken.

I suspect he is fearful of being confined and alone, and is rearing up. Hauled a smallish mare that did that and got her feet into a hay bag that was hung head high. I've seen my horse pop up a little bit when I've unloaded his "buddy".

Try some dry work. Hitch the trailer to the tow vehicle and back up to a pasture gate or round pen. Swing the round pen panels out so that they are wings to the back of the trailer. Load the horse and feed his grain to him in the trailer - in the side-by-side, you don't even need to put up the butt bar. Do lots of this - and other "nice things" with him in and around the trailer. Walk him on, back him off after 5 minutes.
Load him and take him for a 5 minute ride, go home, hand graze him on some choice grass or turn him out with a buddy.
Haul him to a friend's place, unload him, let him graze or eat some good hay, load him up, take him home.

When a horse is not relaxed on a trailer - I don't advise feeding them grain and then hauling them... too much chance of a colic between the grain and the stress. Same thing when they arrive at a destination, if they aren't a relaxed trailer rider, avoid grain the first 4 - 8 hours after a trailer ride. Good juicy grass (but not chemically treated) is the best thing to feed a horse under stress... it gets moisture into them along with the fiber to soak up the acid in their gut.

The other suggestion - add Vitamin B-1 to your horse's feed (follow package directions). After about 1 week of the added Vit B1, begin the training sessions (continue with the B1 during hauling season). The B1 should begin to help relax the horse. You don't want this to become an anxious situation, as it will only escalate to worse conditions & situations.

Good Luck.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)