'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
aluminum trailer floor pitting, can it be fixed??

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-05-18 8:37 PM
8 replies, 5607 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jess85
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-05-16 3:45 PM (#60854)
Subject: aluminum trailer floor pitting, can it be fixed??

New User

the floor in my aluminum trailer is pitted a little bit. you can see the ground in some places how can I fix this?? some one said squirt some sillicone in it??  Help!!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-05-16 9:03 PM (#60872 - in reply to #60854)
Subject: RE: aluminum trailer floor pitting, can it be fixed??

Expert

Jess ... You have a serious problem.  If the floor is penetrated by the pit as you say, it could be a structural issue.  Meaning that the floor could give way to a hoof.  Silicone sealant only plugs the hole, chewed bubble gum will serve as well.

You need a competent shop to determine the extent of the damage.  Internet answers are only guesses.

jess85
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-05-16 11:09 PM (#60881 - in reply to #60872)

New User

thanks hoss
Too L Ranch
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-05-17 12:23 AM (#60885 - in reply to #60854)

Regular

Years ago, first aluminum trailer floor did that. We rinsed it out after each use, BUT...our fault for not bedding the trailer (we were used to plank flooring). The urine had caused the pitting. Will not mention manufacturer, as don't want to get into brand bashing. Manufacturer replaced the floor for us, for free. After the new floor went in, we started bedding real deep and have never run into the problem again (4 trailers later).
zvelvetb
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2007-05-17 4:17 PM (#60934 - in reply to #60854)

I have a trailer with an aluminum floor too.  A friend recommended that I have it sprayed with the "spray in bed liner" material like they put in trucks.  I know some aluminum floored trailers come like that.  Has anyone had that done to their trailer?  I think it runs around $300 - $400 depending on the size of the trailer.
RoperChick
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-05-17 5:25 PM (#60936 - in reply to #60872)

Veteran

Originally written by hosspuller on 2007-05-16 7:03 PM

Jess ... You have a serious problem.  If the floor is penetrated by the pit as you say, it could be a structural issue.  Meaning that the floor could give way to a hoof.  Silicone sealant only plugs the hole, chewed bubble gum will serve as well.

You need a competent shop to determine the extent of the damage.  Internet answers are only guesses.

I agree, I would get the trailer to a good shop to determine the extent of the damage to the floor.  Once the problem with the floor is taken care of, having rhino lining put under the mats can keep the problem from occurring again.  If you don't want to spend the money on rhino lining, just be sure you pull the mats and rinse the floor every 2-3 months.  Putting baking soda under the mats can also help slow down the pitting.   Again I wouldn't haul horses in the trailer until you are sure the floor is structurally sound.  Good luck and let us know how it all turns out. :)

Edited by RoperChick 2007-05-17 5:27 PM
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-05-18 7:48 AM (#60957 - in reply to #60854)

Elite Veteran

I'd go with the rhino-lining. I was in the same situation with my trailer and did the cleaning out and also the baking soda thing. I had no structural problems but the pitting was only going to get worse. The rhino-lining was a good investment for me. Don't think you don't need mats afterwards though-it's a coating, not a cushion.
rider3
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2007-05-18 10:21 AM (#60963 - in reply to #60854)

Veteran

For gosh sakes don't put a horse in there if you can see the ground!  At least not until you have it checked out by a reputable service department!  If the floor needs to be replaced see if they offer plank alum. flooring.  I have it- it will drain.  It is also sprayed with a rhino-type material to never allow decomposing materials to have contact!    The flat sheet flooring where they drill a few holes in seems sub-standard if there is a better option/new technology!  Good Luck!
TERP
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2007-05-18 8:37 PM (#60979 - in reply to #60854)

You need to get WERM flooring installed. That will solve all of your problems. Spray in bed liners will chip eventually and your floor will be exposed again. www.sofdek.com
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)