'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
How much clearance should there be?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-04-04 6:17 AM
8 replies, 5148 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

3dayremy
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-04-02 9:25 PM (#58348)
Subject: How much clearance should there be?

How much clearance should I have between my truck bed rails/tailgate and the gooseneck part of the trailer? I have a Dodge 4x4 and I hear they sit higher than some other trucks. I am in the process of ordering a trailer and want to make sure they build it with enough clearance that I can tow on hills or uneven ground without hearing that awful crunching metal sound! Any suggestions?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rockin_horse72
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-04-02 10:05 PM (#58351 - in reply to #58348)
Subject: RE: How much clearance should there be?

Veteran

Well, I have about 5 inches of clearance on my set up and I got into the bed of my truck on the first trip!!! Backing into my driveway.... I would recommend a little more than 5 inches.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-04-02 10:39 PM (#58355 - in reply to #58348)

Expert

You should measure from the ground to the top of the rails of your truck,
and from the ground to the underside of the goose when the trailer is sitting level.

Because you need to take into account any adjustments that might have to be made to the coupler to get the trailer properly level when it is hitched to your truck.

I like at least 9 inches of clearance...

Edited by PaulChristenson 2007-04-02 10:40 PM
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-04-02 10:58 PM (#58359 - in reply to #58348)

Expert

I'd seconds Paul's comments.

When you are turning and articulating on uneven ground. It will take 9-10" real easy

3dayremy
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-04-02 11:52 PM (#58363 - in reply to #58348)

I was figuring I would want about 9" or so just by guessing, thanks for the good advice.  If I am ordering the trailer how will I know if it will have enough clearance?  Do I just give them the height measurement of my truck and let them figure it out, or are there specific things they can do when building the trailer?  I'd like to avoid having the trailer totally jacked up so my horse has to hike uphill into it!
spotted horse
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-04-03 9:42 AM (#58386 - in reply to #58348)

Regular

when we built our new EBY the factory was able to rotate the axles 10 degrees in doing this it lifted the whole trailer approx. 3 inches. that gave me enough room to drop the nose of my trailer for more inside room plus not effecting the clearance between the truckbed and gooseneck(i have about 8 1/2'' ) a bonus to this is your holding tanks and discharge valves also have an extra 3'' of clearance. i pull with a dodge 4x4 dually and never had a problem just be aware of your surroundings and you will be fine..  good luck!!!!!
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-04-03 9:41 PM (#58432 - in reply to #58363)

Expert

Originally written by 3dayremy on 2007-04-02 12:52 AM

I was figuring I would want about 9" or so just by guessing, thanks for the good advice.  If I am ordering the trailer how will I know if it will have enough clearance?  Do I just give them the height measurement of my truck and let them figure it out, or are there specific things they can do when building the trailer?  I'd like to avoid having the trailer totally jacked up so my horse has to hike uphill into it!

If you give them the measurement...that should be a good start...

If you are having a trailer built for you...they should be able to work with you...if all else fails...

http://www.easyriderhitch.com/gooseneckairhitch.html

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-04-04 6:02 AM (#58442 - in reply to #58363)

Expert

Originally written by 3dayremy on 2007-04-02 11:52 PM

I was figuring I would want about 9" or so just by guessing, thanks for the good advice. If I am ordering the trailer how will I know if it will have enough clearance? Do I just give them the height measurement of my truck and let them figure it out, or are there specific things they can do when building the trailer? I'd like to avoid having the trailer totally jacked up so my horse has to hike uphill into it!

The adjustment of the coupler tube is some small number of inches, the distance between that and the trailer's axles is tens of feet.
You would be asking your horses to climb an incredibly slightly steeper floor angle, not something they would notice, not anything to worry about.
It really DOES depend on entry and exit angles into dips and over peaks while turning, possible but impractical to calculate for your truck with your trailer where you drive, etc.
You could start with it fully extended and tape some styro blocks to the tops of your truck's bed rails, if they're still there after 1,000 miles bring the nose down an inch, repeat until done, etc.
(-:
It is POSSIBLE to tip the trailer back far enough to overload the rear axle, but unless your truck is unusually high AND your coupler is fully extended I think that is unlikely with a recently built trailer, i.e. one that is built to the height of current trucks. The simple check for this is the temperature of the trailer's tires, if the rear ones are significantly warmer to the touch they are carrying a significantly greater load. See other threads on this.

Edited by Reg 2007-04-04 7:19 AM
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-04-04 6:17 AM (#58443 - in reply to #58348)

Expert

Where it is going to hit is at the rear corners of the bed, trust me I know, I had an 04' Dodge Dually 4x4. The best way to keep it from happening is to get everything as level as possible. Because if you can get the truck level it will be the same measurment at the back of the bed as it is at the side next to the ball. Light trailers on Dually pickup's don't help. If you are ordering a trailer I think most Manufacturers have an option to raise the neck by so many inches. I have seen the trailers where they have lifted the box itself, looks like quite a step for the horse, may need a ramp on those. I'm not a Ford fan but they really have done a good job in the last few years of getting the truck level, especially the 4x4 duallys. I had a 99' Ford it was just as bad as the Dodge was, I was pulling alot heavier trailer then so they were OK. I have a few friends with newer Fords and they are alot lower and level. The high, jacked up in the rear Dodges look tough(I miss that part), but they are not very good with gooseneck trailers.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)