'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Horse Van Interior Lighting Problem

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-01-17 9:54 AM
8 replies, 3243 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

bdaddy
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-01-15 8:21 PM (#53909)
Subject: Horse Van Interior Lighting Problem

New User

I am having a problem with the interior lights in my 6 horse imperatore van.  The lights do not work however there is power to the lights.  I have tried the lights to another power source and they work.  I have 4 lights in the van and when I ground either of the middle I lose all power.  No matter what none of the lights work and while I have power and all of the grounds seems to be good.  If anyone has any help it would be appreciated.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2007-01-16 1:24 AM (#53920 - in reply to #53909)
Subject: RE: Horse Van Interior Lighting Problem

Veteran

Have you checked the bulbs?  Make sure they are tight or not burnt out.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-01-16 1:51 AM (#53921 - in reply to #53909)

Expert

Originally written by bdaddy on 2007-01-15 7:21 PM

when I ground either of the middle I lose all power.  

What do you mean by grounding the "middle"?

Is the "middle" another wire?

Do you blow a fuse?

bdaddy
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-01-16 7:37 AM (#53924 - in reply to #53909)

New User

I have checked the fuses and they are all good.  I have also checked the bulbs and they are also good.  I tested the lights on another power source  and they work fine.  When I refer to the middle I am referring to the middle two lights.  For some reason when I ground the middle two lights I am losing power all together.  If I leave the middle two lights ungrounded I have power in the two lights on the end however the lights are not working.  It seems very strange to me wheich is why I am asking the questions here.  Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.  It does not make sense to me to have power and good grounds for each light and not have them turn on at all.

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-01-16 9:07 AM (#53928 - in reply to #53924)

Expert

Originally written by bdaddy on 2007-01-16 6:37 AM

I have checked the fuses and they are all good.  I have also checked the bulbs and they are also good.  I tested the lights on another power source  and they work fine.  When I refer to the middle I am referring to the middle two lights.  For some reason when I ground the middle two lights I am losing power all together.  If I leave the middle two lights ungrounded I have power in the two lights on the end however the lights are not working.  It seems very strange to me wheich is why I am asking the questions here.  Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.  It does not make sense to me to have power and good grounds for each light and not have them turn on at all.

Are you using a meter to check for power?  If yes... You  have a poor connection in the hot lead.  And a poor ground at the "middle".  Start at the switch and work backward with a test light connected to a known good ground.  The poor connection is allowing enough voltage through to register on the meter but not enough power to light the lamps.  When you ground the "middle" you are dropping the voltage below the meter response.

My opinion of what's happening...

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-01-16 9:09 AM (#53929 - in reply to #53909)

Expert

Have you tried hooking up the middle lights with middle two bulbs removed to see if the end lights work? One of the two middle fixtures may have a "short" from the + to the -. When you make ground on the middle two, is it tripping a breaker? How old is the system, is it positive ground or negetive ground? Just shooting in the dark, may give you some ideas to search for. I would isolate each one of those middle lights and check them individually. May be a problem with the wiring from one side of the van to the other. And........what hosspuller said.

Edited by retento 2007-01-16 9:11 AM
bdaddy
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-01-16 10:14 AM (#53930 - in reply to #53928)

New User

I am in using a voltage meter to check for power.  The strange part is the voltage when tested is the same for all four lights.  I also rewired each ground wire on the lights to ensure a good connection.  Why would the voltage be the same for all four lights and then go to 0 when the middle lights are grounded?  When I test the positive wire in the middle lights the voltage meter is the same as the two end lights.  What I cannot understand is why when I test them using the meter I have power and a good ground and then when I ground them to the light itself I lose all power.  I have also tested the live wire all the way back to the switch and the power stays constant throughout the line.  I also tested the voltage in the line for the fans which is the same voltage as the line for the lights yet the lights work when connected to the line used for the fans.  This problem has me stumped.

bdaddy
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-01-17 8:36 AM (#53971 - in reply to #53909)

New User

After a discussion with hosspuller I have discovered that dspite the fact that my meter is showing that I have voltage inside the van that there is not enough current running through the + line to power the lights.  I tested the line using a light bulb beginning at the battery then to the entrance of the live wire into the body of the van.  I have discovered that the line is good up until it enters the body and then once in the body it goes dead.  There must be a lose connection that is causing me to lose voltage inside the van.  I now have to begin searching for the connections within the body of the van or I will attempt to rewire the lights.  Either way I have a big job in front of me.  Thansk for all the help and suggestions.  It really helped me find the source of the issue.  Now I just have to find the bad wire causing the problem.

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-01-17 9:54 AM (#53974 - in reply to #53971)

Expert

Several additional thoughts on your problem...

Some van bodies have the wall supports running vertically.  You might drop a new wire inside the wall and then, run it along the roof line till it meets an inside light wire.  Cut the old wire there, and splice to the new wire.

Alternately, attach a new wire to the end of the old wire.  Then pull the old wire out, while feeding the new wire in. 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)