'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
camp and ride, Calif central coast

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-08-08 8:13 AM
8 replies, 3769 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-27 5:32 PM (#45532)
Subject: camp and ride, Calif central coast

Extreme Veteran

Hey bouys and gulls...

Our trail riding club has a couple of openings in our camp and ride to Montana De Oro near Morro Bay. If this is something you might like to get in on, it costs $65.00 for all 5 days of camping, and we will ride the beach, and foothills of the montana de Oro State park. You must bring all your own feed, and camp gear as we will be camping along side our horses. There are corrals and water for the animals but in case we need to double up, your horse would need to be calm. Orrrr... you can bring portable corrals, or even put up in trailer at nite. If you think you might want to have more info, let me know as soon as possible to reserve your spot. We arrive August 31st and leave the camp on Sept 5th. You may stay the whole time, or just one or two days. BUT.. the camp fees are not prorated. ( State Park already has the money! )

[IMG]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h84/siseley/beachhorses.jpg[/IMG]

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-29 2:03 PM (#45640 - in reply to #45532)
Subject: RE: camp and ride, Calif central coast

Extreme Veteran

beach horses10 I'm going to see if some of last years pics will load. That way we can see the terrain and some of our members. [IMG]
siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-29 2:05 PM (#45642 - in reply to #45532)

Extreme Veteran

Nope, won't load pics.. I've tried by url, and by img. won't go have to figure out this thing..
stargal
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-08-04 3:12 PM (#46030 - in reply to #45532)

New User

Wow, sounds great--where/how do we sign-up?  Last time I was there, a raccoon was pulling on my pants leg; looking for something to eat.

Happy trails!

Joan 

siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-08-04 4:33 PM (#46032 - in reply to #46030)

Extreme Veteran

12 Stargal

You are very welcome to join in with us! As I said in the post, we are leaving here on the 31st and caravanning to the park. Or, you can meet up with us at Montana De Oro, and just join in for the camping. Take the 101 freeway to Los Osos Rd near San luis Obispo, go west to Pecho Rd and as soon as you come into the park, you make a hard turn into the horse camp. We usually Setup, and let the "Ponies" get relaxed, then we usually have a short bull session to look at the trails and decide where to go first. I must tell you, there are corrals for the horses, and a central water spigot,you must bring your own hay and pellets if you feed pellets, but the camp does not have hookups or electricity. We usually go to the other part of the state park for showers, and I am bringing my gen set for lites. Los Osos is just about 20 minutes away, and has stores for refilling your supplies also. we have been cooking on our camp stoves and even on a camp fire. The cost is $65.00 for all five days and that includes a truck and trailer with passengers and all your horses. If more folks come in cars, we have to pay another $25.00 for the week for the extra vehicles to the state park system. Let me have an e-mail or p.m. addy and I will e-mail a flyer and put you down on the roster. ( We also will, ask for a waiver from liability when you get to the park )

Ok, well let me know and soon as this is limited space.

Steve15
siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-08-06 6:27 PM (#46090 - in reply to #45532)

Extreme Veteran

Joan.. you have a p.m.
LFEquines
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-08-07 12:24 AM (#46122 - in reply to #46090)

Yes, I've been to that campground many times, very primitive but great trails and the beach riding was awsome. The last time I was there was in 2001.

I sure hope they took care of the stock water situation. When I was there it smelled of sulphur with an oily film on the top. The horses refused to drink so we had to run down to the nearest gas station with a hose and barrel and "borrow" some water. You may want to haul in your own water.
siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-08-07 3:24 PM (#46171 - in reply to #45532)

Extreme Veteran

We were there last year, and have been without the horses this year. I guess the water tank has been replaced. Yes, it is a bit primitive in that there are no flush toilets or showers in the site. We just wnt to the other part of Morro Bay State Park, and used the showers there. Most of us are pretty used to "S*&^ting in the woods so to speak, so we use the pits for what they are. I will be bringing my Pop-Up trailer this year and it is self contained, but I will still have to go to the other park to empty the black water, and Grey water. Although the gray water can probably be put in the pits. We just don't do it cause it means they must be pumped sooner.  I just love the cool weather and being able to ride the beach and strand. Last year we did have someone, not a member, bow a tendon on the sand cause the horse was not in shape, and the gal pushed too hard in soft sand.

Ok, well if anyone wants to sign in and go we still have a couple spots. P.M. me for the contacts and particulars.

Steve

LFEquines
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-08-08 8:13 AM (#46207 - in reply to #45532)

Yes, you're right about bringing a fit horse. Deep sand and mountain trails make it hard on them but not if they're in shape.

I saw many horses get "tied-up" or colic on the my trips there.

Be safe and happy trails.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)