'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
center pin on a 7 way plug not hot.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-07-23 10:05 PM
8 replies, 8882 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-07-22 12:01 AM (#45227)
Subject: center pin on a 7 way plug not hot.

Expert

Ok y'all.  I bought a 02 ram 2500 and I'm switching out the six pin on my trailer to match the 7pin on my truck so I can install and charge a battery.  I have no power to the aux center pin.  I looked at the fuse box and don't see anything labled for trailer wiring that has an empty/blown fuse.  Any ideas?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-22 6:29 AM (#45230 - in reply to #45227)
Subject: RE: center pin on a 7 way plug not hot.

Expert

Originally written by Terri on 2006-07-22 12:01 AM

Ok y'all. I bought a 02 ram 2500 and I'm switching out the six pin on my trailer to match the 7pin on my truck so I can install and charge a battery. I have no power to the aux center pin. I looked at the fuse box and don't see anything labled for trailer wiring that has an empty/blown fuse. Any ideas?

Go up a level from the forums to the main page.
Scroll down to the bottom right hand side, follow the trailer wiring link.
Under 6-pin wiring there is the following note;

=============copy/paste begin======
Note: The black (12V) and Blue (Electric Brakes) may be reversed to suit trailer. Horse Trailers may use the center pin for 12V hot lead, R.V. trailers use the center pin for electric brakes.
=============copy/paste end=========

Also - I don't know how it is on Dodges, but on Fords the trailer hot is only so when the truck's starter key is in the "ON" position.

Hmmmm, in looking at that page I remember that there is +12V and AUX 12V, but no pin shown for back-up lights.
I havn't messed with mine in a LONG TIME, but I think my truck uses the center pin for back-up lights. In fact I'm convinced that it does because I had to do some adapter work on the 4-Star trailer to get back-up lights and on both trailers I have done the modification to have the rear loading lights also act as back-up warning lights.

FWIW, etc.
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-07-22 8:31 AM (#45233 - in reply to #45227)

Elite Veteran

Yes Reg, you're right. Usually, in the RV world the center pin on a 7 pin is used for reverse lamps. Most trucks are OEM wired this way.

There are some horse trailer companies with air ride or electric/hydraulic brakes that have started using the regular charge pin to power the EH (electric over hydraulic) actuator, and using the center pin to power the air ride compressor, and/or LQ charge line. This is being done at Dexter axle's suggestion. I know that at the least Kiefer Built & Bloomer both are doing this currently. But owners of these types of units should already know this. Dealers selling thes types of units know that the towing vehicle must be modified for proper trailer operation. Dealers that have raised issues about the "non-standard" wiring pattern are told that Dexter drives the ship.
RTSmith
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-22 8:44 AM (#45234 - in reply to #45233)

Expert

Originally written by RTSmith on 2006-07-22 8:31 AM

Yes Reg, you're right. Usually, in the RV world the center pin on a 7 pin is used for reverse lamps. Most trucks are OEM wired this way.

There are some horse trailer companies with air ride or electric/hydraulic brakes that have started using the regular charge pin to power the EH (electric over hydraulic) actuator, and using the center pin to power the air ride compressor, and/or LQ charge line. This is being done at Dexter axle's suggestion. I know that at the least Kiefer Built & Bloomer both are doing this currently. But owners of these types of units should already know this. Dealers selling thes types of units know that the towing vehicle must be modified for proper trailer operation. Dealers that have raised issues about the "non-standard" wiring pattern are told that Dexter drives the ship.
RTSmith

That was what, why and how I "adapterized" my GM truck to my 4-Star trailer (air ride and electric over hydraulic brakes). I was cautioned that the air ride compressor COULD draw so much current that it might drop the voltage available to the brakes' pump, etc.

I still wanted back-up lights, basically I have a switchover arrangement.
The air ride pump is switched out when travlleing. It isn't needed anyway once the horses are on and the trailer has levelled.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-07-22 11:36 AM (#45241 - in reply to #45227)

Expert

Thanks.  I always though that the center pin was the one used for charging the RV's batteries.  I'll have to have my husband put the truck in reverse so I can check for power.  Ummm.  Maybe not.
rick
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-07-22 3:36 PM (#45243 - in reply to #45227)

Regular

So I am wondering is my center plug hot????

I plugged my kiefer LQ into my 06 f350 (first time ) just to check lites etc, and my back up lites on my truck come on????  I unplug the trailer the lites go off, How do I fix it so the back up lites don't come on???

Plug is 7 prong, big.

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-07-23 9:15 PM (#45290 - in reply to #45227)

Elite Veteran

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/get-attachment.asp?attachmen... this

Edited by SLICKRNSNOT 2006-07-23 9:17 PM
rick
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-07-23 9:51 PM (#45292 - in reply to #45227)

Regular

I tore into my plug because of the back up lite thing and rr turn signal not working.

This is what I found.?????

White wire cut off short and apparently not being used, black to middle,blue wire hooked to white terminal, yellow wire hook to red terminal,red wire hooked to green terminal, black terminal empty, green wire hooked to brown terminal, brown wire hooked to blue terminal.

Everything works fine with 97 f-250 hooked up new f350 and back up lites come on, unhook they go off. never moved trailer cause no gooseneck hitch yet just wanted to eliminate a wiring problem with trailer or truck. hooked up to 05 chevy and lites work just like 97 f-250.

Anyone got a clue what is up????

Rick
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-23 10:05 PM (#45293 - in reply to #45292)

Expert

I tried to reply to this earlier, my post was pending indefinitely as far as I could tell.

Colors don't help, you'll need to check what pins are wired to which FUNCTION.

My guess is that the trailer has the center pin (as aux) and the +12 volt pin joined somewhere - so it just feeds back 12 volts to the center pin, which brings on the back-up lights on ONE of your vehicles, but not the other two.
You'd need schematics to help find out why that one allows back-feeding and the other two don't. I have the whole think for '03 GM/Chev trucks as a .pdf file if that would help, send me a message if you want a copy of that.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)