'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
gooseneck hitch

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-03-21 7:52 AM
8 replies, 4034 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

CTR Rider
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-03-17 10:32 PM (#39001)
Subject: gooseneck hitch

Veteran

Before the busy hauling season starts, I took my trailer to a hitch place this week to have the gooseneck hitch checked in my truck. I was told that the hitch had been seriously overloaded and was bent, and had not been installed properly. It was directly on the axle, not forward of it.
I had a new B & W hitch installed and bought the adaptor for short beds.
The shop saved my old hitch plate to show me. It WAS bent. They told me that some shops sell cheaper hitches by using a less strong grade of steel
(sorry if that isn't worded well).
I would appreciate others opinions of this..... correct or not?
I have not pulled the trailer yet, has anyone used the short bed adaptor?
Any suggestions?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
kanchazer
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-03-18 5:34 AM (#39006 - in reply to #39001)
Subject: RE: gooseneck hitch

Hot Dispatcher

My dad is a welder and has installed hundreds of hitches over the years. He has also fixed other peoples mistakes. He is now a dealer for B & W, They are the best hitches out on the market in his opion for the money. He can not make one of the same quality from scratch for the same amount of money. Hitches can really vary depending on the steel, and the quality of welds. I am willing to bet you will be happy with the B & W if it was installed correctly. He has installed 50+ over the past 2 years with no complaints.

Edited by kanchazer 2006-03-18 5:37 AM
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-03-18 7:58 AM (#39012 - in reply to #39001)

Expert

Originally written by CTR Rider on 2006-03-17 9:32 PM

Before the busy hauling season starts, I took my trailer to a hitch place this week to have the gooseneck hitch checked in my truck. I was told that the hitch had been seriously overloaded and was bent, and had not been installed properly. It was directly on the axle, not forward of it. I had a new B & W hitch installed and bought the adaptor for short beds. The shop saved my old hitch plate to show me. It WAS bent. They told me that some shops sell cheaper hitches by using a less strong grade of steel (sorry if that isn't worded well). I would appreciate others opinions of this..... correct or not? I have not pulled the trailer yet, has anyone used the short bed adaptor? Any suggestions?

Opinions I Have many of...

Since the hitch was bent. It was overloaded.  No doubt there. 

A bit late, as you already bought an extender...I also like the Pop-up brand or style of hitch extender over B+W's.  The B+W places the hitch weight back over the axle whereas the Pop-up maintains the weight forward of the axle while going down the road.  The downside of the Pop-up is in sharp turns, the hitch will swing in the truck bed and the hitch weight location changes side to side too.

beeg3
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-20 6:45 PM (#39145 - in reply to #39012)

New User

I just bought one of those pop-up extenders. I was a little confused by your comment about the downside being that the weight will shift from side to side when making sharp turns. I thought the reason for having them is to enable you to make sharp turns without hitting the cab of the truck.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-03-20 7:27 PM (#39152 - in reply to #39145)

Expert

Originally written by beeg3 on 2006-03-20 5:45 PM

I just bought one of those pop-up extenders. I was a little confused by your comment about the downside being that the weight will shift from side to side when making sharp turns. I thought the reason for having them is to enable you to make sharp turns without hitting the cab of the truck.

I wrote that in error.  I was thinking of the hitch crushing anything that gets caught between the extender and the sides of the bed as it turns around the ball...

xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-03-20 11:40 PM (#39170 - in reply to #39012)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by hosspuller on 2006-03-18 5:58 AM

Opinions I Have many of...

Since the hitch was bent. It was overloaded.  No doubt there. 

A bit late, as you already bought an extender...I also like the Pop-up brand or style of hitch extender over B+W's.  The B+W places the hitch weight back over the axle whereas the Pop-up maintains the weight forward of the axle while going down the road.  The downside of the Pop-up is in sharp turns, the hitch will swing in the truck bed and the hitch weight location changes side to side too.

How does POP-UP keep the weight ahead of the axle better than a B&W? 

I looked at the POP-up "FL-4" http://www.popuphitch.com/gn.htm

Then the B&W      http://www.turnoverball.com/turnover/accessories.htm

They look like they both have the same issue....

CTR....you got a good set up!

Edited by xyzer 2006-03-21 12:07 AM
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-03-21 5:29 AM (#39173 - in reply to #39145)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by beeg3 on 2006-03-20 7:45 PM

Technically it does HELP with sharp turns, but you can still hit the cab. I have one on my trailer and speak from experience. You can turn alot sharper, but not quite 90 degrees.

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-03-21 6:57 AM (#39177 - in reply to #39170)

Expert

Originally written by xyzer on 2006-03-20 10:40 PM

How does POP-UP keep the weight ahead of the axle better than a B&W? 

They look like they both have the same issue....

The hitch weight will be applied to the truck at the ball.  Pop-up keeps the ball at the same place, but moves the trailer back by extending the GN. 

B+W moves the ball backward along with the trailer.  So the trailer weight is now over the axle or behind instead of the desired 4 inches in front of the axle.  The net result is more weight on the rear axle.  A problem if the truck is marginal compared to the trailer.

xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-03-21 7:52 AM (#39184 - in reply to #39001)

Extreme Veteran

OK....I understand the concept but if I go to the popup site http://www.popuphitch.com/gn.htm and look at there extender it is the same as a B&W....Is the "coulpler extender" you are refering to made by someone else? .....

I found it....!!!!sorry http://www.popuphitch.com/sb1coupler.htm

Edited by xyzer 2006-03-21 8:00 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World