'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
midwest trail ride, norman, Indiana

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-08-25 7:33 PM
8 replies, 9165 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

wrangler2
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2011-08-09 2:50 AM (#136574)
Subject: midwest trail ride, norman, Indiana

I signed up for one of thier scheduled rides in october. I'd like to here from those of you that have been there. How are the trails, should horses have shoes. How is the campground and stalls. How good are the included meals, If any of you are going to be there oct12-16 I'd like to hear from you, could use a riding partner since this will be my first trip by myself. thanks
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2011-08-09 6:23 AM (#136577 - in reply to #136574)
Subject: RE: midwest trail ride, norman, Indiana

Extreme Veteran

MTR is a nice camp.  I like that the stalls are right behind your trailer.  We have not been there for a while, but the food was pretty good.  Sites are very close together, so you will get to know your neighbor.  Maybe that will help you find a riding partner.

The trails are not overly challenging, but are shady and well marked.  Lots of gravel...I would recommend shoes for your horse.

ClaudiaIN
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2011-08-09 12:45 PM (#136582 - in reply to #136577)

Veteran

We usually go a couple of times a year-- usually not on a scheduled ride so I don't know about the food--

Campsites are flat with stalls right behind the site--

Creek in front of camp

Nice tie ups at the church - with picnic tables

Another nice tie up spot--

Stalls

I agree with everything Dwight says  (as usual)

The Forest is very clean- and if you have gaited horses -- great for "gaiting"

To Much Trouble
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2011-08-10 8:47 PM (#136618 - in reply to #136574)

Veteran

We have been there many times..most recent was Memorial Day week-end Ride.. it wasn't as full as it was last yr.  food was Ok.  but had been better in the past..rumor has it they are "cutting costs"..imagine that!   Trails are decent..there are trails on their property..but you have access to Hoosier National Forest ( bridle tags required, without, there are pretty hefty fines)  there is one major trail to HNF and it takes about an hour to get to HNF on same trail..out N back..that gets alittle boring after awhile.. I have been there with shoes on horse and without..in Oct it will most likely be dry, so I would go with shoes.  we were there last Oct. and we were not allowed campfires..county had a no fire rule because it was terrible dry...and finding a water hole for horses that time of year is next to impossible..... they now sell firewood..use to be included. Stalls are decent..my big guy is a tad crapped in them..they supply bedding..take a shovel for getting bedding...they always seem to dissappear ? or ya gotta walk the whole campground to find one   :(  and on MMD ride in May they ran out of bedding by Sat. night...( again I believe it is cost cutting)  because the sites are book and they know how many should be there for that time and should have enough supplies on hand for guests...OH, if you take a dog...make sure it stays on a leash..they get real snippy about that..

I was dissappointed in the last stay...but I will go again..I just hope things have gotten better   Best of Luck and HAPPY TRAILS to you

wrangler2
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2011-08-11 2:32 AM (#136624 - in reply to #136574)

Thank you all for the replies and pictures.
horsin213
Reg. Mar 2011
Posted 2011-08-21 5:47 PM (#136848 - in reply to #136574)

I had eyeballed this place as well... what are the trails like? Hills? Rocky? Are there overlooks etc? Water on the trails? I ride in the Ozarks regularly, how do the trails compare? Flatter or more hills? As far as their organized ride: what kind of "entertainment" do they have? What is the policy on alcohol? What are "bridle tags?" I know, I'm as full of questions as a 2 year old!! :P Thanks for any help.
Zipitude
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2011-08-21 9:04 PM (#136858 - in reply to #136574)

Veteran

It's been a while since I've been to that camp, but just got back from Brown County State Park this weekend. They are close and terrain is similar. The terrain is very similar to MO. It's hilly, but no rock bluffs like in MO. Bridle Tags are required in Indiana for both State and National parks, and each are different. It's basically a "permit" to ride your horse on state or federal property. I think daily tags are $5.
HorseyHeidi
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2011-08-22 6:32 PM (#136891 - in reply to #136848)

Bridle tags are a fee to ride in Indiana..I think its $5 a day or $20 a year at midwest. The hills are moderately rocky and rolley hills. My hubby did it his first year riding. They didn't seem to have issue with drinking at the trailers. Not sure on the entertainment. I did read on facebook that they just hired a new cook there.  I'm excited to hear reviews on his cooking, because last year the food was just ok. We went to Browne County this year and LOVED it.  I'd pick it over Midwest now anyday :P
horsin213
Reg. Mar 2011
Posted 2011-08-25 7:33 PM (#137018 - in reply to #136574)

Thanks for the answers! I am going to think on the idea of heading that way for October...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)