'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Natchez Trace in Tennesssee

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-02-16 11:42 AM
8 replies, 4371 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2011-02-14 2:20 PM (#130267)
Subject: Natchez Trace in Tennesssee

Extreme Veteran

I just made a trip to Nashville and back for a convention and passed Natchez Trace State Park. Several friends have stopped their for overnighting. Has anyone camped and ridden there ? Please tell me what the trail system, terrain and camp is like and how many miles of trail is there. It says 250 miles on the website. That is not so far that we couldnt go for a week but I wanted to make sure it was good riding and camping first.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2011-02-14 4:14 PM (#130271 - in reply to #130267)
Subject: RE: Natchez Trace in Tennesssee

Extreme Veteran

The campsites used to be the RV camp.  There is water at every site and the sites are mostly gravel.  Each site has poles to hang lanterns and has poles to tie a picket line.  Some sights have a hitching rail as well.  The majority of the trails are single file.  The terrain will vary from sand to gravel in some areas.  We rode there last summer and alot of the trails had suffered erosion issues due to the flooding we had in May.  The bathhouse is nice and it also has a dump station that is convenient.  Overall, it is a nice campground and trail system.
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2011-02-14 7:46 PM (#130284 - in reply to #130267)

Elite Veteran

I ride there alot. I thought all the sites were paved, I hack over, never camped there-. There is water and electric at every site and a nice heated bath-house.

There is a stable next door if you desire stalls.

There are over 250 miles of trail, both 2 track and single track. There are gravel ' fire roads'. There are many marked trails, but even more unmarked.

I was at the convention Thursday, but they did not have the vendors set up and I did not go back another day.
CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2011-02-14 9:05 PM (#130289 - in reply to #130267)

Extreme Veteran

Thank you for the info. Are the trails hilly and "interesting"? Is there some kind of map showing marked trails and any milage? I cant find out much about the trails online.
You went to the NATRC convention? I think Thursday was pretty much the BOD meeting. Friday and Saturday we shopped till we dropped.
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2011-02-14 9:29 PM (#130293 - in reply to #130267)

Extreme Veteran

When you pull into the camp the majority of the sites to the right are gravel (or at least to the best of my memory)  It rained every day we were there last time and the gravel made a nice mess of all the mats we had put out.  Alot of the sites to the left by the bath house are paved.  You will encounter a variety of hills and terrain.  You can find some steep, challenging trails along the way.  I don't recall seeing any maps that had the mileage listed on them.  If all else fails and you get bored after a few days, there are several other camps located within a relative close distance to try out and see as well.
CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2011-02-16 8:40 AM (#130369 - in reply to #130267)

Extreme Veteran

As long as I know the camp has electric hooks I am not that concerned. Am more wanting to know about the riding. We are serious riders and thats a long drive. Would be staying a week. Wanted to be sure it was alot of trail, good riding, and some sort of markings or something so we could get around. Is there a local riding club that works the trails that I can contact for info. Its a 400 + drive from our place.
Thanks
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2011-02-16 10:32 AM (#130376 - in reply to #130267)

Elite Veteran

There is puny map, does not have milage. I just take my GPS. I would not call the trails challenging, but does have some ups and downs. I used to ride with people that really know the trails. Footing is usually very good, no rock.
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2011-02-16 11:05 AM (#130380 - in reply to #130267)

Extreme Veteran

If we want to take quick ride (weekend) we go to Natchez.  If we take a week ride, we will look for something around with more scenery.  If you are wanting alot of different scenery, I would consider something else. 
miagirl
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2011-02-16 11:42 AM (#130384 - in reply to #130267)

New User

I live within an hour of there and would not recommend driving 400 miles to it. It's a good place to camp and ride for a few days if you live close.. 32
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)