'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Primus brake controler - help please

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-02-12 12:03 AM
8 replies, 4719 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Barfly
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-02-11 12:42 AM (#99218)
Subject: Primus brake controler - help please

Veteran

Hello...

I have a Primus brake controller installed in my F250 and I tow a Cherolee Tomahawk 4H. The problem that I have is that the "let down" is very severe...i.e. the brakes work fine when applied, but when you release them they suddenly let go, causing the trailer to jerk. This is especially bad when driving in town (very jerky on stop starts) and when on long decents when you are on and off the brakes quite a lot. I have to constantly adjust the controller while driving.

I follewed the set up instructions to the T...I have also adjusted the trailer brakes....

This is really irritating and uncomfortable.... an of you know how I can fix this problem....

Cheers for now

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-02-11 3:16 AM (#99223 - in reply to #99218)
Subject: RE: Primus brake controler - help please

Expert

Alot of the time adjusting the "Sensor positioning Arm" will take care of the jerky stops/starts.

http://www.tekonsha.com/primusintro.html

http://www.tekonsha.com/instructions/Primus8.5x116909Rev.A-FINAL.pdf

Barfly
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-02-11 6:07 AM (#99224 - in reply to #99218)

Veteran

Hey Retento

I have adjusted and adjusted and adjusted but nothing helps.

It is not jerky when you apply brakes, it is only when you release the brakes that it lets go so suddenly...it is like there is no ease off....if you know what I mean...

It is seriously uncomfortable.

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-02-11 7:15 AM (#99228 - in reply to #99218)

Expert

That big old clunk when you let off the pedal, it snaps like a steel trap!!.... You know, that just may be an ALKO thing... My Cherokee tends to do that and according to what paperwork I recieved with the trailer, it has 8000# ALKO axles....Not, 8000# Dexter the axles as I was lead to believe it to have. May just be the nature of the beast..

Now you got me wondering...

http://www.al-kousa.com/

http://www.al-kousa.com/prod_rubsus.htm

http://www.al-kousa.com/prod_bhd.htm

Barfly
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-02-11 8:04 AM (#99235 - in reply to #99218)

Veteran

Retento

It doesnt make a noise at all - it just lets go so suddenly. Kind of the same feeling you get when you come to a stop street and you keep the same pressure on the pedal till you have stoped, without easing off....it kind of kicks you back in your seat...

It is not nice

horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2009-02-11 8:58 AM (#99236 - in reply to #99218)

Elite Veteran

Remember, the nature of electric brakes is they are not as smooth as hydraulic. When the current is cut to the magnets, they are going to let go in a hurry. But a thought would be to check the manual adjustment on the brakes shoes. If they are "too loose", the cam can be traveling over center when being applied, and thus have a lot of spring back when released. I am not familiar whether the Alkos will be self adjusting or not, check the manual.
Also, shall I say P-3? They are great, but might not really make a difference in this case.
Barfly
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-02-11 12:01 PM (#99261 - in reply to #99218)

Veteran

I have done the adjustment on the actual brake shoes (they are manually adjusted) ....I do understand that when you cut the power to the magnets it will let go.....but I just feel that the reaction is so sudden...I cannot believe that it is normal. In my mind the controller should ease off the voltage - not simply cut it.... Hey I might be wrong - and mayby you guys are used to it... but in my mind it is actually not safe for the horses....

Do all magnetic brakes let go like this --- or do I have a problem...it is so difficult for me to say, cos I do not have anything to compare it to - other than my old trailer which was smooth...

Surely the electrical bofins have enough savvy to design a controler to ease off....

Now I am actually lost....but still believe that it is not right...

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2009-02-11 1:05 PM (#99269 - in reply to #99218)

Expert

You are correct, what you describe is not proper function of the electric brakes.  The Primus is a proportional brake controller and should not "snap" off the brakes.

What is the volt reading on your Primus when the truck is at a complete stop and your foot on the brake pedal? 

What is the power limit you have set with the adjustment dial?

The problem you are describing sounds similar to problems some truck/trailer combos have with the Prodigy and its Boost settings.  This type of problem is more easily remedied on the Prodigy due to its Boost feature.  I.E. one may choose to use Boost 2 on the highway for more powerful braking, but may select Boost 1 in town to make the stops "smoother".

Barfly
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-02-12 12:03 AM (#99319 - in reply to #99269)

Veteran

Chadsalt

I will hook up my trailer today and see what the settings are....although I have tried so many different ones....I will let you know as soon as I have hooked it up.

Thanks for your input

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)