'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
cabnets in living quarters

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-12-04 2:30 AM
8 replies, 6412 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Horsemen
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2008-12-03 5:53 AM (#95646)
Subject: cabnets in living quarters

Veteran

I am going to convert my dressing room into a weekender and was wondering what is the normal depth of a live in quarters cabnets are  Thanks
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-12-03 6:12 AM (#95647 - in reply to #95646)
Subject: RE: cabnets in living quarters

Expert

I don't have a LQ, but the plate I'm eating my "grits and eggs" out of this morning, is a fraction over 10" across!!..... So an inside depth of 12" wouldn't be too deep I don't think.
jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2008-12-03 6:50 AM (#95648 - in reply to #95646)

Extreme Veteran

Depending on the size of your dressing room, if you are looking at pre-made cabinets, you may want to look at bathroom cabinets.  They are typically not as deep as kitchen cabinets.  I believe kitchen cabinets are around 22" and bathrooms run at 18".  Another thing to consider is the material that the cabinet is made from.  Pre-made cabinets are usually constructed of particle board.  This is heavier than wood and due to the vibration and movement of the horse trailer, the particle board may not hold up as well where it is joined as wood will.

A while back, someone on the board said they made model cabinets out of cardboard.  This sounded like a good idea to me, as you can truly see how much room you will need to move around in the LQ before the real cabinets are installed.  Barring that, make a scale drawing of the floor space and lay things out.

You can check Home Depot or Lowes websites to get an idea of cabinet size and construction.  There are lots of threads on this site where folks have detailed their LQ construction projects.

wyndancer
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2008-12-03 7:24 AM (#95649 - in reply to #95646)

Extreme Veteran

I wouldn't go less than 12" deep (inside) on the overs, and not under 22" (inside) on the base cabs.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-12-03 8:44 AM (#95650 - in reply to #95646)

Expert

Our LQ cabinets are the same as WD's, with depths of 12" top and 22" bottom, outside dimensions.

A few years ago, I helped a friend install a LQ in his trailer. We purchased non assembled knocked down cabinets. They were foreign made and had solid hardwood face frames and raised panel doors, with the cabinets and shelves made of veneered plywood. There was no chipboard at all.

Originally they were assembled using locking cam hardware. Because they were disassembled, it was very easy to modify the sides for any depth that we needed before the assembly. We finished them off with glued and screwed joints, and they look and continue to work very well. The pricing was comparable to the pre made particle board products commonly being sold.

Gard

Turfa
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-12-03 9:14 AM (#95653 - in reply to #95646)

Veteran

Trying to keep as much floor space as possible, I made the uppers cabinets 12" and the base 18".  The 18" width was enought to get the bar sink installed with some counter around it.  I built my cabinets out of solid oak and plywood.  PM your email and I will send my Power Point Presentation.

Turfa

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-12-03 5:57 PM (#95695 - in reply to #95646)

Expert

My "LQ" is a 4' shortwall and has to hold cooking stuff, tack, picketline, folding chairs, sleeping and clothing.

I came across some WONDERFUL resin (plastic) cabinets made by SunCast. Sears carries them for the garage organizer, but SunCast makes a wide variety of cabinets. The base cabinets are quite deep - deep enough to store a hassock-type portapotty; 5 gallon flatbacked pail; my Coleman hot water on demand, and many other items. The doors overlap and the RH one has a catch to hold it closed. The cabinets come with adjustable shelves and with knock-outs inside on the back panel so that you canscrew them to a wall. The base cabinet top, is contoured so that they cabs can be stacked securely. They make cabinets that are less deep as well.  I have a set of drawers on one wall and 2 waist high cabs on the opposite wall. I also have a patio storage bench.

Love the stuff. MUCH better than sterlite or the other brands.

I have purchased these items through Sears, and from KMart and Walmart. Suncast.

cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2008-12-03 11:08 PM (#95709 - in reply to #95695)

Extreme Veteran

I am assuming you have a bumper pull? A friend of mine has a BP with a big tack area. She has cupboards and shelves and hooks from floor to ceiling and can get an amazing amount of stuff in that trailer. I have gooseneck and use containers purchased at "The Container Store" basically good plastic containers with lids. I put batteries, tape, string, etc in one. Scissors, screwdrivers, pliers, in another; utensils in another, Bug spray, sunscreen, etc in another. All are marked in black felt marker and stack perfectly in my cupboards. I think it helps keep similar items together and not scattered all over the place. I have my horse stuff organized that way too. I can always find what I need. I measured the cupboards and found the right size containers so I could get as much as possible in there. Hooks are also great ways to store some items. I hang folding chairs that slip into a canvas bag, on hooks in my rear tack. Also coats, hats, helmets, hang nicely on hooks.
Horsemen
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2008-12-04 2:30 AM (#95712 - in reply to #95709)

Veteran

Mine is a goose neck four horse slant with a 10 ft long wall and 6 ft short wall in it, I just ordered some cabinets from Lowe's yesterday and they are going to be 22" deep on the base and 12" on the top

Jim

Edited by Horsemen 2008-12-04 2:38 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World