'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Anyone been to J-D Ranch in Octavia OK or other in the area?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-09-10 12:42 AM
8 replies, 4100 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

barrelsnpcs
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-09-05 7:05 AM (#91002)
Subject: Anyone been to J-D Ranch in Octavia OK or other in the area?

Veteran

Looking to make a fall ride in the SE Oklahoma mountain area. Has anyone been to J-D ranch in Octavia, or any of the other places in that area. Would love to hear about it.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
txwolff29
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2008-09-05 8:00 AM (#91006 - in reply to #91002)
Subject: RE: Anyone been to J-D Ranch in Octavia OK or other in the area?

New User

I have been to Horse Heaven Resort and Indian Mounds Campground.  I have not been to J-D but know a bunch of people who have.  It is very rocky and hilly. 

Be forewarned though I heard there are a lot of four wheelers on the trails and they come up on you fast!!!

Texas Butch
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-09-05 8:19 AM (#91011 - in reply to #91002)

Veteran

I went to J-D last October and really liked it.  There are some rocks but not nearly as rocky as Horse Heaven.  The owner is great (Jo) and will take you out on the trails to show you around and tries to make your stay enjoyable.   Camping area is not as large as some but is very clean.  Another place I like that is a little further north Is Cedar Lake (close to Heavener).  Nice campground and lots of trails to explore.

Texas Butch
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-09-05 8:22 AM (#91012 - in reply to #91002)

Veteran

Forgot to mention, I did not see any 4-wheelers at J-D.  As I recall, I do not believe they are allowed on most of the trails there.
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-09-06 9:16 AM (#91065 - in reply to #91002)

Elite Veteran

I second cedar lake. It is very clean and now have pipe corrals for the horses. Majority of the sites are very level and treed. Trails are fairly well marked. Terrain can be challenging with large rocks, but the views are gorgeous.
Lena's Mom
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2008-09-06 12:13 PM (#91073 - in reply to #91002)

We went to J-D last October as well.  It is a small campground, which I like better than the larger areas.  It is extremely clean, very well organized, everything is accessible.  i found it to be less rocky that Horse Heaven, easier to get to for us from Texas and Louisiana.  Jo is  wonderful and will do whatever she can to make your trip enjoyable.  Planning on going  back in the next few weeks.  You will not be disappointed.
okeydar
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2008-09-07 2:46 PM (#91101 - in reply to #91002)

I just went to J-D for the first time aweek ago. I loved it. It was less rocky than Cedar Lake and Robbers Cave. I didn't see any 4-wheelers either. The trails are well marked and beautiful. I did come across fresh bear tracks which had us excited. Jo is a great hostess and will help you in any way. The campground is small and immaculate with many amenities. I am also going back for their fall ride in Oct with several others.

As for Cedar Lake, it is one of my favorite places with alot of challenging riding.

docbar 20
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-09-09 8:42 AM (#91173 - in reply to #91002)

Talked to the lady that runs j-d.Seems very nice. W e are going for to stay 3 days befor Thanksgiving to give our show horses a needed break.
okeydar
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2008-09-10 12:42 AM (#91220 - in reply to #91002)

Barrelsnpcs.....Can't get my PM to work so will amswer you here. I think it would be worth your time to visit CL on the way home from J_D's. Just keep in mind it is rocky. Especailly on the trails near camp as they get so much use. The farther out you go, the better the trails. The trail to Snake Mtn has a nice view but it is rocky altho' I have heard they rerouted it around the rockiest place but I haven't roide it since then. Also trail 3 out of E loop is pretty and comes back into camp on trail 1. I think you will like both places as far as the campground but J-D is the least rocky in that area. Just my humble opinion for what it is worth.

Wonder why my PM isn't working????

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)