'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Kiefer X-3 "With awning & More" question on DIY DR

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-09-05 11:45 AM
8 replies, 4549 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

geminiluna
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-09-03 10:30 AM (#90889)
Subject: Kiefer X-3 "With awning & More" question on DIY DR

New User

I did a search through the forums to see if anyone else had this question, but didn't find much on the topic.

Thinking of buying a 2008 Kiefer Built X-3 (3H slant) with 4' short wall, and with this "awning & more" package.  What that means is that the dressing room is reinforced for AC, prewired into a boot box for AC, and the walls/ceiling in the DR have been insulated and paneled (appears to be afixed with adhesive).  And that's it. 

It's a nice idea to have the insulation and paneling done already, but I do not believe there's any "regular" outlets for plugging in a light, clock, radio, etc.  We'd like to be able to have a small dorm-size fridge and *maybe* a microwave, so clearly we'd need to do additional wiring.  We saw this trailer at a horse expo, and forgot to check if the boot box wiring had any other wiring other than the AC.  We're going to see the dealer and look at it again, but we're new to this and we want to be sure we don't get led down the wrong path.

The question, then, is how difficult it is to wire if the walls are already insulated and paneled?  I guess we could run wiring tastefully on the outside of the panels (I did see a post about that).  But we'd like to have the wiring hidden.  Anyone have experience with these Kiefers, or trying to remove panels to do add'l wiring?  Or, would it probably be best to get the X-3 model that has no 'finishes' in the dressing room and start from scratch ourselves?

Thanks!

Edited to add that my husband is quite a handyman and very adept at electrical work in general, so I don't doubt that we can do it ourselves. But I'm questioning if perhaps the panels will be damaged if we try to take them down to put wiring behind them. In that case, it makes no sense to pay the $3k difference in the prices just to have to rip up a lot of that "value".

Edited by geminiluna 2008-09-03 10:35 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-09-03 2:52 PM (#90907 - in reply to #90889)
Subject: RE: Kiefer X-3 "With awning & More" question on DIY DR

Expert

If your husband is a handyman, you can purchase and install a lot of materials for $3k. The best way to run your wiring is behind the paneling, so why pay for something you have to remove? For a fraction of that price, you can run your wiring, install your own insulation and paneling and have the electrical outlets wherever you please. While you're at it, you can also add additional framing for possible future interior improvements.

You can have an awning installed at any number of places and you can shop for prices and features. Having the factory installed air conditioning bracing is handy, but its construction is completely within the realm of a handyman.

If you have future plans on the installation of a sleeping area or LQ, you might want to consider an escape vent or windows. It's much easier having them factory installed, and well worth the money.

Gard

Edited by gard 2008-09-03 3:08 PM
Rydbeck
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-09-03 11:26 PM (#90929 - in reply to #90889)

Gard is completely correct 3,000 can buy you lots of materials. Though most kiefers come with reinforced roof for the A/C so that should not be an issue, and depending on the dealer there may be an outlet on either side of the boot box. If yopu did have to remove the aluminum sheeting you should only have to take one sheet off(a huge pain and you may ruin the sheet) and then double side tape it back on. If you are debating buying one with or without the package a few things to consider: Where are you going to get the aluminum sheeting and how much will it cost? doing the wiring correctly, 2 sided tape from 3m, insulation, and having it exactly the way you want it. Not super difficult it will take 4-5 sheets of alum though and cutting it will be the most difficult part. Hope this helped
geminiluna
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-09-04 7:20 AM (#90941 - in reply to #90889)

New User

Thanks Gard and Rydbeck. I appreciate your input - very valuable in helping to clarify our thinking around our strategy. 

Have a good one!

genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2008-09-04 11:03 AM (#90955 - in reply to #90889)

Elite Veteran

Why would you have to remove or replace the aluminum sheets? To install the AC you cut out the alum inside the framing. I believe that the interior lining would be either a plastic, vinyl or wall board material.
Rydbeck
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-09-04 12:15 PM (#90958 - in reply to #90889)

If this is a non-LQ trailer it is lined with aluminum, at least in a kiefer
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-09-04 1:29 PM (#90960 - in reply to #90889)

Expert

My Cherokee horse area walls and ceiling along with the dressing room walls and ceiling are lined with white aluminum sheet. My entire Silver Star ceiling is lined with that white, textured, wall board like you would use in a kitchen or bathroom, it's light weight and easy to clean. All the walls are line with white aluminum sheet.
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-09-04 4:23 PM (#90971 - in reply to #90889)

Expert

And... (sorry if this was said already)... be sure that the trailer wheels and axles will accommodate the additional weight you will be adding to the LQ area.

geminiluna
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-09-05 11:45 AM (#91032 - in reply to #90889)

New User

Thanks to everyone.  I love this forum and am learning a lot just by searching on topics of interest!

Right - to clarify, the Kiefer I was wondering about that already had this pre-wiring and insulation/paneling package had the dressing room completely paneled (walls/ceiling) in that white aluminum paneling, and it was glued instead of more easily removable with screws.  I didn't want to get into an issue of tearing down (and potentially damaging in the process with unsightly scratches, dents, etc) the aluminum interior wall paneling to wire some outlets or a light switch, etc.  Not when that "insluating/finishing" package was marked up in the price of the trailer.  If it could have been done easily without risk of damaging the finish and such, then it would have been a different story. 

We ended up with a dressing room shell that we can add our touches to over the future.  As far as weight, thankfully we're doing nothing more than a little fold-down dinette table with booth seat on either side, small fridge and a couple wardrobe cabinets, and AC and awning.  So I'll keep an eye toward weight and such as we're designing it, but believe we'll be ok.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)