'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Buying out of state

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-08-08 1:04 PM
7 replies, 10336 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

slantedhorse
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-08-05 5:47 AM (#89034)
Subject: Buying out of state

How do you suggest I buy a trailer out of state? Are there different procedures for a new vs used trailer? What if I find one on ebay vs an online ad?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
3yrHitch2Bumper
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-08-05 10:13 AM (#89051 - in reply to #89034)
Subject: RE: Buying out of state

Regular

Buying out of state is not a big deal and should not cause any trouble...as a matter of fact, doing out of state deals are an everyday thing anymore......taxes and titling is really the only things that will need to be taken care of......Taxes are paid by you when you register it in your home county/state. If you finance the rig, then you can finance the taxes into the loan and have them cut you the tax money back in check form so you can pay said taxes......I have found that titling is sometimes more of a pain than taxes. Every state seems to be doing things differently.  Some are doing the title/registration  work digitally and some are still doing it the ole fashion way. BY HAND !!....Do your home work and call your local titling office/BMV,  and see what they require for an out of state purchase....some states will want an inspection  on the unit before titling it. Some will not require that so that is why I say CALL FIRST !!....AS FAR AS EBAY...go to their "BUYERS" page and see how they break down things. There is a fee that they get, but if you are the buyer you do not pay that. The seller payes the fees I think.

Good luck !!!!

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-08-05 10:59 AM (#89055 - in reply to #89034)

Expert

We've purchased two used trailers from private individuals from out of state. One was purchased in Delaware, the other in Michigan, and both were brought to and licensed in PA.

The transactions were easily completed because we had the proper documentation in PA. This included titles from each state that showed  that the people selling the trailers, were in fact the present owners. There were no liens against the trailer's owners. The tittles were signed and notarized by the owners. Hand written bills of sale were included, which stated the sales price, the vehicle ID #'s and model names/numbers, and overall condition.

To obtain tags in PA, PA tiles have to be effected for our ownership to become legal. The trailers had to be inspected by a licensed state inspection facility to verify the serial numbers, carrying capacities, date of manufacture and the manufacturer's name. New PA titles and plates are then issued when insurance cards are presented, and PA sales taxes are paid based on the value of the trailer's bills of sale.

We are members of AAA and the process was relatively easy to complete through them, although any notary that handles motor vehicles could have completed the paperwork and issued the plates.

Gard

Tuffyspop
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-08-05 1:18 PM (#89064 - in reply to #89034)

Regular

We live in Missouri and bought our trailer in Alabama at Dixie Horse and Mule Company.

They surprised us by paying all the title/tax/registration and tag fees as part of the deal.  They are very good at what they do, and we saved almost $10,000 on the trailer we bought from all the other like models we were comparing.

They advertise here.  I don't give my personal recommendation to too many people on things, but this is one company that has gotten customer service down to a science.  Family owned.  Very friendly and very helpful, start to finish.

Tell Mike or JT that Larry and Robyn sent ya.

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-08-05 2:20 PM (#89070 - in reply to #89034)

Expert

Originally written by slantedhorse on 2008-08-05 6:47 AM

How do you suggest I buy a trailer out of state? Are there different procedures for a new vs used trailer? What if I find one on ebay vs an online ad?

Or you could register and license it in Maine...

Thank you for contacting the Secretary of State's office.  Yes, Maine does register non-resident trailers for non-commercial use.  If this is something you are interested in, please contact the Registrations Unit directly at (207) 624-9000 Ext. 52151.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Sincerely,

Therese Cahill Low
Director of Constituent Services
Office of the Secretary of State
148 State House Station
Augusta, Maine   04333-0148
Telephone:  (207) 626-8400
Fax:  (207) 287-8598

slantedhorse
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-08-05 9:01 PM (#89093 - in reply to #89034)

One more thing...if I pick it up, the owner will want to keep their tags. How do I drive it home 250 miles without a license plate?

Researching the Maine registration...am trying to figure out why I would want to do that...curious!

Edited by slantedhorse 2008-08-05 9:02 PM
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-08-06 5:34 AM (#89101 - in reply to #89093)

Expert

Originally written by slantedhorse on 2008-08-05 9:01 PM

One more thing...if I pick it up, the owner will want to keep their tags. How do I drive it home 250 miles without a license plate? Researching the Maine registration...am trying to figure out why I would want to do that...curious!

First off you will have a bill of sale stating you just bought it, but I doubt you will get pulled over for just not having a plate. I have been in VA many times without one as my state does not require a plate.

slantedhorse
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-08-08 1:04 PM (#89281 - in reply to #89034)

I found out that DMV has a "trip tag" that will be good for three days. This will allow me time to get it and then have it titled in VA. I think it's something like 5 bucks. If there's a huge line this afternoon, I'll just take my old trailer tag with me and hope to not get pulled over.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)