'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Hauling in OK?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-09-04 8:05 PM
7 replies, 3615 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

threeman
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-09-03 8:12 PM (#67091)
Subject: Hauling in OK?

Extreme Veteran

Had some folks call in this weekend that got stopped in OK.  I really dont know all of the details but they did get stopped for no CDL, correct tags, etc.  Suppposed to be something new anyone know of this?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-09-03 9:38 PM (#67097 - in reply to #67091)
Subject: RE: Hauling in OK?

Expert

Another state jumping on the bandwagon,it is starting to get ridiculous now.
keeponhaulin'
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-09-03 10:16 PM (#67100 - in reply to #67091)

I do know of this, please read "Trouble hauling through Iowa".  My personal story about the same thing.  Please try to get your friends to put their own story on here and please contact me. 
threeman
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-09-04 6:14 AM (#67116 - in reply to #67091)

Extreme Veteran

These are reputable folks so its not BS.  I was told another couple traveling through had problems too but not for sure on that.  We traveled through OK this weekend too but without any problems from OK to GA driving a 4400 Int.  If anyone gets stopped it probably be me first with MDT not 1 ton.  The folks there said that they are changing some laws regarding OK license plates since you do not have to tag a trailer there.  I guess its all linked.  They also said something about TX is going to or has done the same thing? 

I dont think it will be feasable for anyone of the states to make regular folks get CDL's.  1.  Why should I be subject the the requirements of CDL's when others do not just because I pull a trailer.  Any trailer.  That reduces the amount of points on my license, different insurance requirements, on and on.  I is going to create a big big mess for ALL of us if this does not get clarified on a national level.  For the first 5 years its going to be a disaster.  It will have a negative impact on ALL discplines in the livestock industry as a whole.  Can you imagine the amount of folks that will be shut down because of those requirements?  I cant.  It would be astronomical in numbers.
threeman
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-09-04 6:15 AM (#67117 - in reply to #67091)

Extreme Veteran

Also was told if we did get stopped to tell them for sure we were trail riding and not competing somewhere.  Forgot to add
keeponhaulin'
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-09-04 9:18 AM (#67124 - in reply to #67091)

Please read this and pass it on.

How Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations Affect Horse Trailers.

by Sean Kelleylast modified 2006-10-21 01:33

In 1986, Congress passed the Federal Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act (FCMVSA/86). This law requires each State to meet the same minimum standards for commercial driver licensing. The states may have more stringent regulations of their own, but they may not lessen the standards.

Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) has two definitions according to The United States Department of Transportation (USDOT), Federal Highway Administration FHWA. The difference comes into play when discussing requirements for Commercial Driver's License (CDL) and Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSR)

FOR THE PURPOSES OF COMMERCIAL DRIVER'S LICENSE (CDL)

Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) - a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles used in commerce to transport passengers or property if the motor vehicle -

1. has a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 lbs. or more inclusive of a towed unit with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 10,000 lbs.
  2. has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 lbs. or more or
  3. is designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver: or
  4. is of any size and is used in the transportation of materials found to be hazardous for the purposes of the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act and which require the motor vehicle to be placarded under the Hazardous Materials Regulations.

FOR THE PURPOSES OF FEDERAL MOTOR CARRIER SAFETY REGULATIONS (FMCSR)

Commercial Motor Vehicle means any self-propelled or towed vehicle used on public highways in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when:

1. the vehicle has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or gross combination weight rating (GCVWR) or 10,001 or more pounds; or
  2. the vehicle is designed to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver; or
  3. the vehicle is used in the transportation of hazardous materials in a quantity requiring placarding under regulations issued by the Secretary under the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act.

Interstate Commerce - Any trade, traffic, or transportation in any State which is between a place in a State and a place outside of such State (including a place outside of the United States) or is between two places in a State through another State or a place outside of the United States.

Intrastate Commerce - 1. Any trade, traffic, or transportation in any State which is not described in the term "interstate commerce" 2. Wholly within one state.

"Commerce" can be more loosely defined as actually "involved in a commercial venture" or the "intent" to make a profit. This does not mean actually making a profit! Running a commercial stable, hauling horses for show (with intent to profit), race, sale, training, or for compensation are some examples of commercial enterprises. Prize money and showing to increase the value of the horse can be interpreted as profit.

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSR) in general deal with the marking of the vehicle (identification signs on the vehicle), inspection sticker, medical card, log book, emergencies procedures, and parts and accessories necessary for safe operation. US DOT, FHWA publishes the Federal Motor Carrier Regulations Pocketbook.

How do these regulations and terms apply to horse trailers?

1. If you are driving a vehicle or combinations of vehicles under 10,001 lbs. GVWR or GCVWR, you don't have to be concerned with the FMCSR's or a commercial driver's license (CDL). You must, however, follow the safety equipment requirements and driver's license requirements of your own state.
  2. If you are driving a vehicle or combination of vehicles interstate 10,001 to 26,000 pounds GVWR, you must decide if you are commercial and subject to FMCSR. You do not need a commercial driver's license (CDL), although your home state may have an additional classification of driver's license. (The initial decision is up to the owner whether or not he/she is pursuing a hobby or is involved in interstate commerce and he/she bears the burden of proof. If you only travel within your state, you may follow the state definitions of commercial, but if you plan to travel into other states and your vehicle or combination is 10,001 lbs or more, the official recommendation from Federal Authorities is that you follow FMCSR's)
  3. If you are driving a vehicle or combination of vehicles intrastate 10,001 to 26,000 lbs GVWR, you must follow your home state requirements if they differ from the Federal requirements.
  4. If you are driving a vehicle or combinations of vehicles 26,001 lbs. GVWR or more interstate you must have a commercial driver's license (CDL) and you must follow FMCSR.
  5. If you are driving a vehicle or combination of vehicles 26,001 lbs. GVWR or more intrastate, you must follow your state guidelines for commercial licensing (CDL), and FMCSR requirements.

Farm exemptions can be obtained in some instances, but the vehicle must stay within 150 miles of home.
Many states require trucks and trailers to have license plates that are labeled "commercial" but this does not always mean you are considered "commercial" in all states.

This article was written by Neva and Tom Scheve, authors of the, "The Complete Guide to Buying, Maintaining, and Servicing a Horse Trailer" and the owners of EquiSpirit Horse Trailers.

Thought you might find this interesting. 
Your equine discipline

What is your main equine activity?

<form name=results action=http://www.horse101.com/portal/polls/discipline_poll/vote method=post encType=multipart/form-data>
All-Around Rider
Barrel Racing
Breeder
Calf Roping
Cutting
Dressage
Driving
Endurance Riding
Eventing
Foxhunter
Hunter
Jumping
Packing
Polo
Racing
Reining
Saddle Seat
Trail Riding
Vaulting
Western Riding
Other

advertisements
<script type=text/javascript><script src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" type=text/javascript><iframe name=google_ads_frame marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/ads?client=ca-pub-0632495136817595&dt=1188880529578&lmt=1188880529&prev_fmts=728x90_as&format=120x600_as&output=html&correlator=1188880528250&channel=1921790370&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.horse101.com%2Fportal%2FHorse_Trailer_Articles%2FFederal_Regulations_Horse%2520Trailers%2F&color_bg=FFFFE4&color_text=333333&color_link=000000&color_url=336699&color_border=FFFFFF&ad_type=text&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.horse101.com%2Fportal%2FHorse_Trailer_Articles&cc=100&ga_vid=1727651386.1188880488&ga_sid=1188880488&ga_hid=1706548546&ga_fc=true&flash=9&u_h=768&u_w=1280&u_ah=738&u_aw=1280&u_cd=32&u_tz=-300&u_his=130&u_java=true" frameBorder=0 width=120 scrolling=no height=600 allowTransparency>
« September 2007 »
SuMoTuWeThFrSa

Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-09-04 6:35 PM (#67167 - in reply to #67091)

Extreme Veteran

So now I have two states to stay the hell out of: Iowa and Oklahoma. They sure won't be seeing any of my out of state $$$.
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-09-04 8:05 PM (#67174 - in reply to #67091)

Extreme Veteran

This makes me think that I should get rid of the farm tags on my LQ, since I do go more than 150 miles from home to ride. I read this to mean that if your not hauling for prize money or selling livestock, and you do not have a farm tag, then your ok. I'm planning a trip to OK in Oct to ride, I don't want any tickets.-Betty
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)