'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Marine batteries in LQ

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-08-14 12:29 PM
7 replies, 3778 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Gaelic
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-08-13 12:01 PM (#46497)
Subject: Marine batteries in LQ

Regular

I am installing DIY LQ and am now pondering the wiring issue. I'm doing it myself, without hubby's help, since he hates horses and won't have anything to do with it. He'll help in a pinch, but....it's really just easier to learn to do it myself. Plus, a good skill, no? I've learned how to work the power tools (though I'm still nervous) and I've put up the insulation and the furring strips.

Now - the wiring. I was planning on using a deep cycle marine battery to run the interior lights. It's a bare bones sort of thing - I plan on using 4 halogen pot lights over the bunk, 2 small reading lights, one dome light, a 12v coffeemaker (I NEED my coffee!!!!) and a 12v cooler.

The lights will only be on in the night and not for long, of course the cooler will be on all the time when we are in the trailer.

I plan on using the thing for no longer than 4 days at a time, at the most, so will one marine battery do the trick? Or will I need more? I was eyeing them at Canadian Tire, along with a matching 15 watt solar charger. I don't want to get too technical, I'll be in over my head...and I don't know anyone who can do (or is willing to do...one of hubby's friends is an electrician, but he won't ask him) it.

Am I going to electrocute myself here LOL??????

Edited by Gaelic 2006-08-13 12:03 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2006-08-13 1:45 PM (#46501 - in reply to #46497)
Subject: RE: Marine batteries in LQ

Extreme Veteran

Hi Gaelic,

I would look into a couple of golf cart batteries. Their amperage is higher and if your going to use something like a cooler you'll need the amperage. The solar panel thing is a good idea. I have a 20 watt one on my trailer's roof but it's pretty much for charging the batteries, it's not large enough to run things, per say. I have not had any trouble with running out of battery power since I put it up, my batteries stay charged. Have been on a few 3 day campouts and no problemo. i am eventually going to get a larger panel(s) but I'm not in a hurry. If you can't get the golf cart batteries, get 2 group 27 marine batteries. The more amperage the better.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-08-14 7:42 AM (#46529 - in reply to #46501)

Expert

Solar power requires sunlight (Duhh, obvious).

I don't know WHERE Gaelic is in Canada, but I'll assume that she will be some in sunshine some of the time. I'll also guess that maccwall gets more sunshine in Garland TX than Gaelic gets in Canada. I'm going to guess that panel size, use, experiences in TX may not be directly applicable to most places in Canada. BICBW (-:
10Ha.Wood
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-08-14 8:39 AM (#46535 - in reply to #46497)

Gaelic,

I've been mulling over these same issues and have some thoughts. Use LED lights - they are *much* more efficient than Halogen. If your lighting fixtures all use automotive bulbs, you can get LED replacements that will fit right in. I plan on replacing all of my trailer lights with LED bulbs eventually. Note that not all LEDs are created equal, the more recent ones are up to 4 times more efficient than the older ones.

A 15 watt solar charger would take *days* to charge a good sized battery. Basically, it will provide enough power for your lights, but little else. I plan on getting one, but only expect it to function as a standby charger. Canadian Tire has had these on sale regularly, and the 15W one is on sale this week!

BTW - Canadian Tire has had some nice booster packs on sale pretty much all summer. I picked up one that has a 120V - 400W inverter, an air compressor, light, 12V outlet, and booster cables all in one neat package. I plan on hooking mine up to a marine battery to provide extra juice.

FYI - A 12v cooler will probably drain your battery in less than 8 hours and not keep your food as cold as ice would. I don't have one of these, and after looking into them, I don't expect to ever want one. Thay are pretty much meant to use only when your engine is running.

As for electrocuting yourself, it is fairly hard to do with 12 volts. The biggest danger is shorting the battery. It can supply enough current to arc weld, and in the process overheat and burst. The first thing you will want to do is install a fuse as close to the positive terminal as possible.

Chris

Edited by 10Ha.Wood 2006-08-14 8:57 AM
Gaelic
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-08-14 10:52 AM (#46555 - in reply to #46497)

Regular

Well you lost me after the "arc weld" comment LOL. I am in Ontario, BTW, near Toronto. We get lots of sunlight in the summer, but I never intended for the stuff to RUN off of solar power, I'm looking into the panel as an option to re-charge the batteries. That would be just fine.

Thanks for the info re: the cooler. That sucks (power, that is). Maybe I should just look into getting a lot of ice!!!! More cost efficient. I saw the 15 watt solar panel in the Crappy Tire Flyer at work yesterday - would that be a good deal? Instead of installing an inverter, I was going to buy one of those Eliminator things (which I'm told is just really a different style of inverter) to power my precious TV. That's the only electrical thing I need/want. It'll be a tiny tv - 13" or so. Will that keep me going for about 3 days, at about 4 hours a day?

Thanks so much for the info!
10Ha.Wood
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-08-14 11:57 AM (#46562 - in reply to #46497)

None of the Eliminator powerboxes will run your TV that long. A (group 27) deep cycle battery, 100Ah, should be about enough to run your television for 12hrs. It will depend on exactly how many watts your TV uses. If you go with the system I mentioned above, a powerbox, and additional battery connected to it via the booster cables, and a solar panel or two, you should be set. (As long as you don't go crazy with the coffee maker  )

While I'm sure you do not intend to run your stuff directly from the solar panel, I wonder if you realize how long it would take a 15watt panel to charge a 100Ah battery. (I'm guessing about 10 days worth of our best Ontario sun) I'm not sure if you would require a charge controller for this set-up though, perhaps someone else could jump in?

If you have room in your trailer for a propane fridge, they are the best choice for keeping your food cold, otherwise, go with ice!! Also, propane = unlimited hot coffee

Chris

maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2006-08-14 12:16 PM (#46565 - in reply to #46562)

Extreme Veteran

Sorry Reg didn't see that she was in Canada. Guess I should read more closely. Ooops.
And you are probably right, solar experiences here would probably be better than the Great White North, but all the same, a solar panel would not be a bad idea to keep a battery charged when sitting in the driveway. Like I said ,mine is a 20 watter and is mounted on the trailers roof and it keeps my batteries charged quite well, but here, especially recently, we nothing but sun... and heat. Eventually I have the plan to install a 100 watter or at least a couple of 50 watters but... there's that thing called money.
I run nothing but lights and the occasional water pump useage from my batteries, and I like the idea of the LEDS. I have halogens in the bed area and we hardly ever use them but I have LEDs in the main lights and the closet light and I love them. They are not as bright as the regular lights but the power usage is minimal to say the least. I have some swivel lights that I have yet to put in and I'll be putting LEDs in them as well.
And yes regardless of the size panel, a charge controller would be a very very good idea, or at least a blocking diode, because the panel would do just the opposite at night, discharge the batteries and that's what you don't want.

Edited by maccwall 2006-08-14 12:20 PM
Gaelic
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-08-14 12:29 PM (#46566 - in reply to #46497)

Regular

Thanks guys. Yes, the solar panels need a charge controller, $29.99 at Canadian Tire :)

So the Eliminator will not solve my TV dilemma? Won't run it for 12 hours? Rats.

Though I bet I could plug it in during the day to recharge it in the stabling area, which comes with an outlet that I usually use an extension cord to power a box fan to keep my mare cool....heh heh...think show management would come after me if I did that? I do know friends of mine use the outlet to power their box fan and a electric cooler.

The solar panel, again, will not be used to power anything. Since I show about 3-4 weeks apart, ten days is just nifty to recharge my batteries. It will have at least 20 days to do it, actually.

Propane is unfortunately beyond my capabilities, and more so my budget to have someone else install. We do have a propane stove that we will be using to cook with in a little screen tent, and a coffeemaker that fits on it...I guess we could use that.

And I think we are going to go with the LED lights. They are more pricey, but if more efficient, that's better.

Many, many thanks!

Edited by Gaelic 2006-08-14 12:30 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World