'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer plug wiring advice needed asap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-08-07 12:54 AM
7 replies, 2943 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

threehorses
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-08-06 6:13 PM (#46087)
Subject: Trailer plug wiring advice needed asap

When we were unhooking our CM trailer from our Ford truck, we had a miscommucination and unfortunately I pulled away still plugged in.  (Yep, so much for my rule to always check everything myself before I drive off...)

Anyway,  the trailer end of the plug stayed with the truck plugged in to the recepticle.  The trailer wire pulled away from the trailer plug (the ends pulled out of the connections) and stayed with the trailer.  The trailer plug is the 7 way RV type (yellow is center, other colors surround), but the wiring has 6 wires (red, blue, black, green, red, yellow) - everything except a white wire.   This is the way it came and unfortunately I never looked at it before this accident.

Well I restripped the ends and made them neat to reattach.  I hooked everything up by color (except for the white - for which there was no wire).  In my trailer plug, yellow is the center.  No go - not working.  Well then I redid it, making a loop out of the wire ends to go around the screws - everything is well connected.  No go.  Then someone said to put the yellow where the white plug goes.  No go.

Can anyone tell me if there's something I'm missing here?  As I mentioned, all the color wires were matched to the plug as labeled by color.  And I did put the plug cover on the right way (where the side screw goes in the short channel so that the plug cover doesn't pull out, the other notch going into the channel with no end so that it slips on completely.

Wouldn't you know it, I have a horse that has to go to the vet first thing in the morning for urgent lameness x-rays.... can't afford rough stops.

Help, please!    Thank you in advance!
Nathalie (who is beside herself)

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
longsundown
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-08-06 8:40 PM (#46099 - in reply to #46087)
Subject: RE: Trailer plug wiring advice needed asap

New User

Been there done that, be happy it was the trailer and not the truck.

A quick search here shows this information.

I tore into my plug because of the back up lite thing and rr turn signal not working.

This is what I found.?????

White wire cut off short and apparently not being used, black to middle,blue wire hooked to white terminal, yellow wire hook to red terminal,red wire hooked to green terminal, black terminal empty, green wire hooked to brown terminal, brown wire hooked to blue terminal.

Everything works fine with 97 f-250 hooked up new f350 and back up lites come on, unhook they go off. never moved trailer cause no gooseneck hitch yet just wanted to eliminate a wiring problem with trailer or truck. hooked up to 05 chevy and lites work just like 97 f-250.

Anyone got a clue what is up????

threehorses
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-08-06 8:55 PM (#46101 - in reply to #46099)

Thank you! I'm going to go try it and see how it works. My truck is a 96 Ford wo maybe?

N
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-08-06 8:58 PM (#46102 - in reply to #46087)

Extreme Veteran

I didn't got out and look on my CM, but I think there is a wiring map of the trailer plug up underneath the trailer gooseneck somewhere.

-Betty
threehorses
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-08-06 9:26 PM (#46106 - in reply to #46102)

Ohhhhhh heavens, I hope so! I'll look again while I'm out there. Thank you.
threehorses
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-08-06 9:54 PM (#46108 - in reply to #46106)

OK, related but a little different, I'm completely missing a white wire which is supposed to be the ground. Now... I KNOW that these lights and everything worked before, so I know that they can work...I cut back into the wire to make sure that it wasn't just broken further back into the wire. It wasn't. It just isn't there.So what takes the place of the ground? A neighbor said that the yellow wire is the ground (the one that would go to the auxiliary). Any thoughts?Thanks again for all the help!Nathalie
Ardly
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-08-06 10:42 PM (#46118 - in reply to #46087)

Veteran

Nathalie,

Sorry about Your wiring woes.

To my knowledge there is no standard color code between one trailer and another.which means that just because my red wire goes to post x doesn't mean that your trailer will be the same.Best advice I can give is to do like another poster suggested and look for a schematic under the gooseneck area or possibly online at the manufacturures website. If this fails then a tester to determine which is ground would be a start,but after that it would be easiest to check which wire served which function with a small battery such as one for a lawnmower,Taking note of each as you made lights operate and so on.be especially carefull to get the brake controller wire to the correct terminal as well as the ground in its proper place.

hope this helps, Ardly

threehorses
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-08-07 12:54 AM (#46124 - in reply to #46087)
Subject: I did it! :)

I can't believe it, but I figured it out.In case anyone else has to change a CM 6-way wire into a standard 7-way RV plug, here's what I did.First, I tried *again* to find the schematics for trailer plug wiring at the CM site. This time I found them: I wrote down which function each color of the 6-wire represented (blue=ground, black=brakes, etc). I noticed that CM's 7-way plug didn't match mine (I have no purple or white wires) so I knew I couldn't use their diagram. So I went looking for a standard (aftermarket) RV plug and found it here instead: I used the chart and wrote down which numbers went with which colors (1-white, 2-blue) and compared it to the imprint on my plug. It was a match. On a piece of paper, I wrote 1-ground, 2-brakes, etc from the same chart. Then going by my list from the CM site, wrote down which color wire fit the function shown. (1-ground-blue, 2-brakes-black, etc) I hooked those babies up according to my list, and they worked!So tomorrow to our unexpected vet trip, at least I don't have to worry about whether or not I'll have brakes/lights/etc. They all checked out good.Thanks again, y'all, for all your help!!Nathalie
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)