'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Breeding advice re: HERDA and QBED

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-05-04 5:34 AM
7 replies, 3691 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Anne0135
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-05-01 1:07 AM (#41127)
Subject: Breeding advice re: HERDA and QBED

Regular

I am interested in a cremello colt to eventually stand at stud. Here is his pedigree http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/san+quixote+peppy. He has poco bueno on both sides, very far back. Can anyone who is very knowledgeable about breeding tell me whatever they can about the odds of him being a carrier and, also, how marketable cremellos are. I'm in the south. People love palaminos, buckskins, duns and Quarter horses. I plan to also breed SE Arabians a bit down the road but seem drawn to these cremellos. What am I missing?

I'm getting a lot of negative advice from a friend who's a breeder but she does NOT breed what I'm interested in (mostly appy's.) I'm begining to suspect her advice has an agenda. Is this horse a problem or am I not getting the straight scoop?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-05-01 5:01 AM (#41128 - in reply to #41127)
Subject: RE: Breeding advice re: HERDA and QBED

Expert

Well this will probley come across the wrong way but, unless you have a plan to do something with this horse ie.. Show him or use him to prove his worth, you will just have another grandson of High Brow Hickory. He will most likely make a great horse. That don't mean that he should be a stud. Horse prices are so low right now that before I would consider anything for stud he would have to be a special horse not just a special color. Color breeders have come and gone for years. What's hot today will be tomorrows pasture ornaments. The folks breeding the good horses(ones that will perform) will be around alot longer. I stand a Congress Reining winner ( Two T Easter Sailwin) I have 10 outstanding broodmares(show records) I didn't breed any of them last year, I don't want to cheapen the bloodlines I have, I see all theese breeders talking about homo this and guarenteed color that, If you are down to color to get mares to your stud then you are in trouble. Every Stud should stand on his performance first color last. By the way my stud is gray you won't get any discounts by bringing a mare of color, but you will for a mare that has performed. Just my two cents worth.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-05-01 5:33 AM (#41129 - in reply to #41127)

Expert

I have a Hollywood High Life(Hollywood Dun it blood lines) X Wimpy/Breeze Bar/Travelin Tivo cremelo yearling filly for sale.Pretty head,nice set on  ears,huge forearms,big hip, very sweet temperment etc.Open to offers.
Anne0135
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-05-01 8:29 AM (#41137 - in reply to #41128)

Regular

HWBar, Did you see his pedigree? He has some extremely high earners among his most parents and grandparents. Take a look at this. http://alabamahorses.net/Lady/ladysfoal2.htm Down here, people breed for color and performance (and I think it's the same everywhere. Which colors they like, all depends). I dont know how you judge the performance of a few month old colt but if his sire, dam and grandparents are any indication I'm pretty sure he's got a very good shot. I appreciate everyones input. My question though also included concerns about HERDA and QBAD. Any insights on the Poco Bueno line would be greatly appreciated.
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-05-01 4:08 PM (#41166 - in reply to #41127)

Expert

Yes, I did see his pedigree. I stated he should be a good horse. That don't make him a canidate for a stud. If he proves himself in the ring, is when he will make a stud horse. My mother-in-law rides a Buckskin Grandson of Cutter Bill on top and grandson of Dry Doc on the bottom, I gelded him because he went unshown. I sure would hate to have him as a stallion right now just because he had color and was bred good. If you want to deal with a stud horse just because of color then go ahead you'll get a few mares at a cheap price to him. But he will have to be a preformer to ever pay his way.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-05-01 4:48 PM (#41168 - in reply to #41127)

Expert

I'm not to sure I'd use the SHOWH or NOT shown as a reason.There are lots of reasons but the showing thing at least with me dosen't do it.My stock is ranch using stock.The cattle ranchers I know of lots of them don't show their stock.There merit is based on lots of other things.I don't show.Use to years ago.Can't stand horse or dog shows and haven't for years.My Driftwood x Freckles stud so far is a stud because he produces good minded,nice boned,pretty headed,big footed and last but not least roan Qtr horses.That is SO FAR. Each year  THE FEW babys out of him are a test.

Edited by hounddog 2006-05-01 5:01 PM
RoperChick
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-05-01 6:40 PM (#41171 - in reply to #41127)

Veteran

I think I remember UC Davis doing research on this, you might check with them, they may be able to tell you what the chances are of this horse passing it on to his offspring.

As for whether or not you should breed him, I agree with HWbar (and houndog too), I think that before any horse is bred, he/she should be able to show that it has something good to pass on to it's offspring (color would be my last consideration).   If he were my horse, I would start with his conformation, if he had good correct conformation (including good feet) and he also had a good dispostion, then I would "consider" him for a stallion prospect. 

Next when he's old enough, I would find out what kind of athlete he is both mentally and physically.   I would determine what events he would be suiteable  for showing.  If he wasn't going to be a show horse but was a good ranch horse, rope horse etc. then I would finish his training and take him as far as he could go.  If the horse didn't hold up mentally or physically, and he were mine, he'd be a gelding.  I'd much rather own a nice gelding than a mediocre stallion.

Again it's just my opinion, but I think any horse (stallion or mare) being bred should be sound of both mind and body. 

Edited by RoperChick 2006-05-01 6:42 PM
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-05-04 5:34 AM (#41284 - in reply to #41127)

Expert

As my colt was growing up I did not ask any opinions of others about him or make much comment about him.I watched and listened to others.Vet,farrier(whom trains and is a semi pro roper) and others.Vet always looked long and hard,farrier kept running his hands over his chest,forearms and looking.Few others said WOW I noticed this one in your field etc.Then out of no where at age two I got a phone call.You breeding that colt yet or I got your name and want to see a colt you have.The first year I bred 3 by private treaty(honestly,FREE)swapped for bags of feed etc.The second year 4 and two of them I swapped 2 breedings of mine for theres(those two were 20 plus year olds one San Peppy Bred x Old Tayor and an Peppy x Leo  horses and wanted some of that blood while it was around still).I DID not breed any of MY own to him! His first yearlings are out there now and I've had 5 calls this year by word of mouth.Next year or so with more saddle time and maybe a little roping,reining under his saddle pads I'll start a few ads and the dollar factor will go UP.Fixing to bred him one ONE of mine this year.We'll see.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)