'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
It is time to leave winter behind! We need your advice

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-08-15 9:08 AM
7 replies, 3692 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-08-14 8:02 PM (#109400)
Subject: It is time to leave winter behind! We need your advice

Extreme Veteran

I have lived in South Eastern New England all my life. My job is remote (I can live anywhere, as long as I am within an hour of an international airport). We have been discussing Florida for many years now (Family there currently) I however would rather not go so extreme south. I would like to try the Carolina's, Tennessee or a similar non tornado non hurricane prone area. We are young enough to continue to camp with our horses so would like to be close to a nice forest system or national park that we can camp and ride in. So I turn to this group for advice. Any thoughts, general area towns or States? Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
NM-Rider
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-08-14 8:57 PM (#109405 - in reply to #109400)
Subject: RE: It is time to leave winter behind! We need your advice

Regular

Here is another thread with someone else considering relocating. There is lots of different links that people have added including me.

http://horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=12202&p...

People ask me how can you deal with the heat. Well its not too bad just get up earlier, take naps during the hot part of the day, work late. Anyways 3 months of 95+ temps and the rest great weather overall. Living all my life in AZ and NM I tell people if you are considering moving here (Example) visit Phoenix or Tucson during the summer months and see if you can hack the heat.

I really love where we live, 1 1/2 hr from International airport. 1 hr from the mountains, 1 1/2 to major boating lakes closer for smaller lakes. Hunting, camping all over. We live 20 minutes from the only wild herd of wild Ibex in the US.

Our lowest temps this year was 17 degrees but everything thaws out during the day. Good luck in your search.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2009-08-14 9:14 PM (#109408 - in reply to #109400)

BlazingCreekBar, I just sent you a pm. Rose

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-08-14 11:20 PM (#109414 - in reply to #109400)

Expert

I'll put a plug in for Greensboro, NC  We have an international airport but it doesn't have that many direct connections.  Taxes, climate and elevation are moderate.  Middle of state, middle of just about everything. 

Second best for me was...Atlanta, GA. It's at the top for direct international connections.  But Hartfield airport is huge.  The summer heat is unbearable for riding.

calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2009-08-15 7:47 AM (#109418 - in reply to #109400)

Elite Veteran

I'll second that Greensboro vote! I was raised there..loved it... then, my dad took us kicking and screaming to KANSAS!!! It is so incredibly gorgeous in Carolina. Now, we live in SW Missouri. It is pretty, has lots of hills and clear water streams and lakes, but the bubbas have a culture of their own. They mooch alot. My husband is semi-retired and has been stiffed on several re-mod jobs...who wants to put a lien on a lean-to??? Other than that, its ok. There are great trails nearby, but who wouldn't want to ride in the Smokey mountains???
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2009-08-15 7:50 AM (#109419 - in reply to #109400)

Extreme Veteran

Louisville has an international airport.  And you can go an hour in almost any direction from Lou. and find some beautiful rural areas from central KY to southern IN. 

We do see some snow from Dec - March, but rarely get over a couple inches at a time.  The last really big snow was 17" in Jan of '94.  Since then, not much more than 5".  We do get rather steamy from mid July to late Aug.

Or you could go to extreme southern KY and be near the airport in Nashville, TN...I think it's an international.

Whatever you decide, good luck to you and keep us posted!

ClaudiaIN
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-08-15 8:58 AM (#109423 - in reply to #109419)

Veteran

I second the Louisville area--

North of Louisville-(about 20 miles)- 2 forestries - that connect and have about 100 miles of Trails- Deams Lake/Clark Forestry.  Also-- west is Harrison/Crawford Forestry near Corydon, IN

What I really like about this area is that we are within 4-5 hours of the best riding in the country IMO.     

Shawnee National Forest area in Southern IL is a wonderful area-- but I'm not sure about the International airport-- St Louis I guess?

BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-08-15 9:08 AM (#109424 - in reply to #109400)

Extreme Veteran

You guys are just great! I am mapping all your ideas in MS MapPoint and then using realtor.com to review the area and so on. It's a project I gotta tell you. Your input is helping alot. The good thing about KY is we have a corp office that I frequent in Ohio just over the border.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)