'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Removing Mangers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-05-25 10:08 PM
7 replies, 5353 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

essexgal
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2009-05-20 8:32 PM (#105263)
Subject: Removing Mangers

I hope this isn't a dumb question but....I've found a trailer that has everything I need but I don't want mangers. I know it's more storage but it's a 4H so I'd use the first two to carry anything that wouldn't fit in the bed of the truck or the tack area. Would it cost silly money and/or ruin the trailer in any way?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
301duster
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-05-20 9:24 PM (#105265 - in reply to #105263)
Subject: RE: Removing Mangers

Veteran

I would find a different trailer if I didn't want the mangers. I'd hate to cut the mangers out of my trailer though it could be done. Seems that most of the time the trailers with mangers bring more money. I'd hate to see you spend that and then have to pay to cut them out. Just my opinion!!
BigT
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-05-20 9:53 PM (#105269 - in reply to #105263)

Extreme Veteran

What are you trying to gain by removing the mangers. First of all your dividers would not fit, you would have to put some rubber mats on the wall that has the doors for the storage under the mangers. There are no matts under the mangers, so you would have to put all new matts in the trailer. Most likely the rear tack is not removable, so you are not gaining any area to haul something big up the ramp. The space that the mangers take up is under the horses neck, so you are not gaining any floor space, and most trailers with mangers are wide. So my answer to your question... Yes you could remove them, would I....No. It would cost you over $1,000 for dividers and matts, and the resale of your trailer would go downhill fast.

akinstrailers
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2009-05-21 12:05 PM (#105286 - in reply to #105263)

Veteran

I agree with the comments above.  The other thing is cosmetically it would look funny to have doors on the side of your trailer that can't/shouldn't be opened.  Not having a wall between the manger doors and the horse could also put stress on the doors that they weren't designed to withstand.  Is there a reason you do not want the mangers? 
essexgal
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2009-05-21 5:05 PM (#105298 - in reply to #105263)

Thank you for the replies. The reason for not wanting mangers is that I would like my horse to be able to put her head down if she needs to clear her airway or just be able to stretch her neck down. I've never travelled with mangers so I don't know how much room there would be for this too happen. I guess thousands of horses travel this way without a problem, maybe I'm just thinking the worst. Trailering here is a lot different than the UK. I just have to get used to the new ways.

I think I may go see the trailer. It's such a good buy. Hopefully my husband will sell his jet engines next week and I'll finally be a trailer owner!  

301duster
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-05-21 10:33 PM (#105308 - in reply to #105263)

Veteran

If you like the trailer I think you will also like the mangers once you use them. We tie our horses in the trailer most of the time anyway. The biggest problem to watch for is water leaking into them and the leftover hay getting nasty. The only other problem is you can no longer fit 6 horses into a 4 horse trailer!!!!
brew26
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2009-05-22 10:09 AM (#105320 - in reply to #105263)

Veteran

I've had managers in every trailer I've owned and believe me your horse will have plenty of room..I've had horses put thier head down and eat the hay in the next stall...if you like trailer buy it and don't worry about the managers you'll love them and never want a trailer without them. And thats why you buy a trailer with slants and mangers so you don't cram 6 horses into 4 horse unless you like to cripple your horses.

Edited by brew26 2009-05-22 10:10 AM
Safet
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2009-05-25 10:08 PM (#105443 - in reply to #105263)

Veteran

I also plan to buy a four horse trailer and I will not buy one with mangers. I have two main reasons. The first is that I, too, want my horses to be able to lower their heads if they need to. The second is that my horse is a manger climber. She is large and the only way she will "have enough room" to lower her head with a manger will be if I give her two slots by removing one divider.

I have seen a couple of horse trailers I was interested in, but they had mangers. This thread has informed me to pass on those trailers (I had also considered removing the mangers), so thank you for asking the question.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)