'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Ride Off The Ranch Pardee Lake Ride......, on the Mokelumne Coast to Crest trail

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-02-19 9:11 PM
7 replies, 3751 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2009-02-03 4:54 PM (#98734)
Subject: Ride Off The Ranch Pardee Lake Ride......, on the Mokelumne Coast to Crest trail

Extreme Veteran

Been spring like weather here, which ain';t all that good. Corrals should be knee deep in mud right now, and I should have my bridge up to the tack room down at the ranch to cross the small flow of water that goes right in front of the door to it. You can kick the ground and all the comes up is dust. So......................

Decided enough ranch riding, that does get old believe it or not, so uncovered the Logan and took Josie on down to Lake Pardee to ride a 20 mile round trip of the Mokelumne Coast to Crest trail. I haven't had Josie down there in about 2 years. The last trip I took last year was with Fancy, so some of you might find the terrain familiar if you followed me on that ride.

I'll tell ya what, Josie was so tight and springy she done wore herself out as you can see from the pics, she was all sweaty from the get go, the excitement and of course all of her winter fur from one cold storm we got didn't help either. So off to Pardee Lake we go!

Cups up from Starbucks my first stop on the way down. It's an iced tea that I'm holding that I always get!

In the first mile you come up to the old Wildermuth House which is completely made of sandstone bricks from the sandstone right in the field there. I love the old rock wall. There are tons of those in this area.......

The terrain is rolling and open in the first 5 miles, lots of oaks, cattle and one old corral.....

Okay, I'm probablly making some of you sick with all this nice green terrain. As I ride farther along and reach the river canyon area, the grass is already becoming thick and abundant. But hang on, I'll be posting more here.....................

Edited by cowpony01 2009-02-03 7:35 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2009-02-03 4:55 PM (#98735 - in reply to #98734)
Subject: RE: Ride Of The Ranch Pardee Lake Ride......, on the Mokelumne Coast to Crest trail

Extreme Veteran

View of Lake Pardee just before the river canyon. The lake should be much fuller now, but was shocked that it was as high as it was.

and the road going up through some more rolling hills and green grass, (the green I promised!)

So I"m doing some trotting on and off and we come up to the trail where it becomes narrower, (not as narrow as I'm used to but it'll do!) we've been riding on a fire road basically for some time.

Now these two signs crack me up! It is steep going down and the switchbacks are quick as you come up to them. They are not long switchback very quick, so you need to have your horse turning as soon as you come off of one and onto the other......

picture of the signs......

more coming......

cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2009-02-03 4:57 PM (#98736 - in reply to #98734)
Subject: RE: Ride Of The Ranch Pardee Lake Ride......, on the Mokelumne Coast to Crest trail

Extreme Veteran

This is a view I caught for yalls from the two funny signs! This is the trail and we need to get down and over there!

Now off and down the stairs and switchbacks!!!!!!!!!!

Of course Josie handles these like the ole pro she is and takes them on full bore going down! There is a narrow bridge coming up with a long ways down under it. She went across blowing her nose! She was being so full of herself today!

I know, I know, "some of the caca I put her through!" '

Hang on still more!
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2009-02-03 5:00 PM (#98737 - in reply to #98734)

Extreme Veteran

There are gorgeous view from the top of the steep climb out of the bridges of the sierras with their somewhat snow capped peaks. I took a pic. of Butte Mt. This is looking towards the town of Jackson........

Josie and I catching a view over looking the river canyon first......

Here is Butte Mt........(towards the historic mining town of Jackson, Amador County)

Once we reach our end of the trail construction, as this trai is under construction in quite a few spots from the bay area to the sierras up to Ebbetts Pass, we take a much needed cool off break, eat a snack and the much envied green grass and head on back. Along the way she is going like a freight train again, so in the chaparral spot we take a break. You can see her sweaty body in this one........

but the ole' gal is in pretty good shape for just riding the ranch, so just a quick cool off and strecth out for me and then off back to the trailer. At mile 18 she finally settled down as her steam was running out. "Told ya silly girl, chill out it's a long haul today!" as the last ride she did a 20 in was during the summer. Great sunny day, did keep my hooded sweatshirt and flannel on as the breeze was cool, but still a great day!

Whew! Done!
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2009-02-03 5:29 PM (#98739 - in reply to #98734)

Extreme Veteran

Beautiful photos...thanks for sharing.  You are one LUCKY lady to be able to ride in such places.
Ike
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2009-02-05 10:43 AM (#98845 - in reply to #98734)
Subject: RE: Ride Off The Ranch Pardee Lake Ride......, on the Mokelumne Coast to Crest trail

Veteran

Just what I needed to see. We have 28 deg an ice here today.

Lovely pix, Thanks

Z71
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2009-02-19 7:23 PM (#99762 - in reply to #98734)
Subject: RE: Ride Off The Ranch Pardee Lake Ride......, on the Mokelumne Coast to Crest trail

Veteran

Cowpony, what's happened to your pictures and your website.
N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2009-02-19 9:11 PM (#99765 - in reply to #98734)

Elite Veteran

???????
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World