'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Bandera,TX

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-11-08 2:07 PM
7 replies, 4407 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-10-24 11:11 AM (#93539)
Subject: Bandera,TX

Elite Veteran

Any of you Texas folks going to Bandera this next week?... I'm gonna play hooky for a couple of days and get to someplace a little prettier than home..It'll be nice not to hear sirens, horns and alarms for a day or two..

Edited by ridingarocky 2008-10-24 11:16 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
KeepsakeFarm
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-10-24 4:25 PM (#93567 - in reply to #93539)
Subject: RE: Bandera,TX

Veteran

I'd love to but I just got home about midnight from taking my older mare to the regional vet clinic for emergency surgury on her back hoof.  She impaled it on a broken weld on the gate.  A really freaky accident but she is out for several months. 

And I am selling the younger mare because of time constraints and the economy.  sigh.  I feel boredom coming on.  Have a great time!!! 

Laynie2347
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-10-24 7:50 PM (#93584 - in reply to #93539)

Wish I could, but we are heading to Parrie Haynes Ranch, close to Killeen.  I've heard it's great.  But I absolutely love Bandera and the Hill Country State Natural Area.  Have fun.
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-10-25 7:43 AM (#93600 - in reply to #93539)

Elite Veteran

Tell me how you like Parrie haynes.. I was looking at that place on the internet a week or so ago.. I think it might be too far for me...Now that it's finally cooling off some, I'm going to try to fit in some rides.. It's just too miserable in the summer. 
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-10-30 9:49 PM (#93995 - in reply to #93539)

Elite Veteran

We're back... Had a good time.. The weather was perfect, cool mornings warming up to a average day.. 70's 80's.. The sky was clear and the trails were in good shape.... They had a burn ban on tho,... no campfire, which was a bummer because the temp went down to @ 37 degrees at night... that's OK, tho.. the sleeping bags were warm and we looked at the stars thru the trees and listened to the coyotes yap from somewhere nearby.....

We rode only the flat easy trails tho.. My daughter doesn't do hills at all, besides the horses were out of shape, so we just poked around mostly at a walk and enjoyed the scenery.. The horses seemed to enjoy it too.  It was very nice just to get away.

Only had a little trouble at the end.. i ran my car battery down and got a jump from some nice folks there from New Mexico (mental note to self; do not run car on auto lights, because the trailer also will run on auto lights... Another mental note to self..buy self battery-jump/charger kit ).  Also, my daughter's pony for some reason decided she would rather not load to go home.. I stopped on a slight incline and the step up (I think) was higher than she was comfortable doing... My mare, who isn't that much bigger, stepped right up....Sure am gonna miss that pony.. (HA! HA! ... just kidding) ...All in all, it was a great trip...I'm ready to go again.

Laynie2347
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-11-02 12:00 PM (#94091 - in reply to #93995)

Loved PARRIE HAYNES!.  It had plenty of trails with a good variety.  Very much like Bandera, but not so exagerated.  Hills not as big, not as many rocks, etc.  Campground was nice, vault toilet, and a cool shower that had a saloon type door.  Guess anyone could have looked in, but no one bothered us.  I just hung a t shirt on the door so there wasn't any doubt that someone was in there.  Only problem was that it was a little too much for my 23 year old mare that hadn't been ridden much.  Since we were just gonna be pokey, I didn't bother to condition her as I ride her 2 to 3 hours around here.  Well, the rocks and terraine are much worse, so I just rode about an hour couple of times a day.  Enjoyed the slow pace.  We will definitely go back there!
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-11-02 8:42 PM (#94106 - in reply to #93539)

Elite Veteran

Thanks!  That's good to know... I'll look it up on the internet again.....Whenever I get my new trailer, I'll be a little better set up for a long distance commute to a horse-camp site.  We didn't condition, either.. My daughter's pony was pulled out of the field having not been ridden in quite some time (that pony is such a good natured soul..)... I wasn't terribly worried about overworking them because we didn't go up any of the steep trails and walked with some little bit of slow gaiting on the easy ones.   They barely even broke a sweat under the saddle; certainly dry everywhere else......Still, we had fun.

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-11-08 2:07 PM (#94526 - in reply to #93539)

Elite Veteran

I'm going to go back to Bandera this coming Tuesday, God willing.... I'll spend the night Tues and ride tues and wed.... Anybody up for it?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)