'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Cato trailers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-07-22 5:22 PM
7 replies, 8012 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

dmqtrhorses
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-20 8:54 PM (#87786)
Subject: Cato trailers

New User

Looking for quite awhile for a trailer. Ran across a Cato trailer that appears to be a very nice trailer. It's a 2000 LQ trailer.

Any info appreciated.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
jim bob
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-07-21 10:18 AM (#87819 - in reply to #87786)
Subject: RE: Cato trailers

Extreme Veteran

We had a Cato LQ that we took in as a trade several years ago.  The LQ portion of the trailer was a "nightmare".  I would say that before you make the purchase that you check out the builder of the LQ conversion.  Is it RVIA approved or TR Arnold approved?  Is the company still in business?  If the trailer is at a dealership, check into having a 48 month extended service contract put on the trailer.   I'm not sure whether Cato Classics are still in business or not.  They were a small builder of aluminum horse trailers.  Good luck.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-07-21 12:37 PM (#87824 - in reply to #87786)

Expert

This info is still out there, but they shut down several years ago. Friend of mine had one and it leaked like a sifter!!

Cato Classic Trailers (352) 228-9145 P.O. Box 1208 / Hwy 41, Hernando, FL Get Directions ".... Most product are built with a life expecancy. Cato build their trailers to last! That..."

Average Rating: 5 out of 5 stars (1)

Sica - "Cato Classic believes in top quality products. Most..." more
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-07-21 7:38 PM (#87860 - in reply to #87786)

Extreme Veteran

I have a 4 horse LQ Cato and it has been a great trailer. It was built in 2000. I have not had any major problems with it. The LQ's could have been done in one of 2 or 3 different places. Ours was done locally and I visited the factory when it was being built. I have a neighbor with a 2 horse Cato and I don't believe he has't had any problems with his either. Treat it as an individual. A warranty on any trailer with a LQ is not a bad idea. In this area they always had a good reputation....go figure.

I went to a local QH show a few years ago and there were several humongous Cato LQ trailers there that belonged to the competitors...

Edited by randemtam 2008-07-21 7:46 PM
walnuthill
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-07-22 11:19 AM (#87903 - in reply to #87819)

Our LQ CATO  is listed on this site.  The LQ was done by JIMCO out of North Carolina which is still in business.  It doesn't leak, the workmanship is top quality and I am having 2nd & 3rd thoughts about selling it as I can't find a smaller trailer I like better.  As a previous poster stated it is one of the huge ones and for a single person pulling it with one horse - well it didn't make sense to haul it around.  I love absolutely everything about our trailer except the size (LOL) but as my husband told me after I whined about not finding a smaller trailer I like better "well then, I guess you had better put your big girl panties on and continue to haul it - who cares how empty the trailer is in back".  He even suggested taking out the dividers and making it one HUGE box stall for my 16.3h gelding. 

As far as LQ goes - if I do sell it, my other option (which I probably will do) is to have JIMCO do my next LQ.  They epitomize quality workmanship.

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-07-22 12:21 PM (#87910 - in reply to #87786)

Expert

walnuthill.... This you?  http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=160961
walnuthill
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-07-22 1:03 PM (#87916 - in reply to #87910)

Yep - that's the rig that I went to a cutting clinic with a couple of weeks ago.  Got there and the road was closed about a half-mile from their place.  There was a street fair going on so I had to turn right - ok, no big deal - I'll just circle around.  I turn right and it is a dead end.  I had to turn that sucker on a narrow street into an even narrower alley then back right to another narrow street.  I was very frazzled by the time I got to their place and then it had limited parking and you guessed it - I had to squeeze that puppy in between 2 itty bitty trailers.

Getting home was interesting too as I a have a horrible sense of direction!  Heck - I think it would have been easier to saddle him up and ride him to the clinic!

randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-07-22 5:22 PM (#87938 - in reply to #87916)

Extreme Veteran

Ha! WalnutHill, I feel your pain. Mine is only 28 on the floor but I think it hauls more like 32. I have a side ramp for my first horse and I think they put the wheels back a bit. I was headed to an endurance ride and ended up on a road with the bridge out. Forunately, there was a driveway to pull in but I had to be careful not to rip the tanks off......I've been stuck in the forest with it too and someone had to pull me out backwards! How do I get myself into these things?   It's always an adventure with the big one. We finally purchased a 2 horse for just getting around. It's one of the best purchases we have made.

I wish Cato wasn't out of business as I would love for them to build me a trailer with a slide. Oh well, there are lots of other nice trailers out there. What I really liked was going to the factory and fixing all of the things they were doing wrong before it got to me.

Good luck on your decision.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)